Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how true is this? - because i've heard from a lot of people that Edinburgh don't take many english students on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb01)
    how true is this? - because i've heard from a lot of people that Edinburgh don't take many english students on.
    I remind you to think before you post. Of course they accept English students :confused:

Nonsense

ReputationRep:
    Many Englishers on TSR seem to have gotten offers without too many problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb01)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Almost exclusively.

ReputationRep:
    They rejected me, thus the answer is no. Obviously :holmes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    By any chance were some of these people rejected by them and hence looking for a crap good excuse?

ReputationRep:
    http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/Policie...ndbook2008.pdf

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...ction/medicine

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departme...s/non-academic

http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.7200!fileManager/guidelinesforreferees.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I spend a few days away from TSR and come back to find its sunken ever deeper into a massive pool of facepalm.

Edinburgh do take english students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb01)
    Of course they do! I spoke to an Edinburgh student and they said the English Scottish ratio is about 50:50 about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb01)
    My friend got in there for Medicine and is English- and Southern! (I'd heard rumours about bias against the south, too...?). And is only doing 3 A levels.
    So, it is possible.

Oh, and I got in too, but my course is less competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh say priority will be given when possible to those from the surrounding area. They however say nothing about not taking English students. In actual fact, nearly 1/3 of the university is from England, and over 2 in 5 from outside of Scotland- the medical school is no different in this respect.

Surely a quick search of the website, and doing some work for yourself before adding to TSR's long list of stupid threads, would have saved you (and us) from this?

ReputationRep:
    Your chance is reduced by not being Scottish, nevertheless, some lucky ones do get in.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as silly as it sounds. They do have an Edinburgh ring which they give priority to but being english would put u on the same level as someone who lived in Dundee or Aberdeen etc - but I'd have a slightly less good chance as someone from within the ring as I understand it.

ReputationRep:
    what do u think? of course they let in english students; but just that they prefer scottish applicants over english ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0_YouKnowIt)
    Of course they do! I spoke to an Edinburgh student and they said the English Scottish ratio is about 50:50 about.

It actually leans towards the english. About 55:45, without including EU + international.

The only bias they give is that towards those from Edinburgh itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    It actually leans towards the english. About 55:45, without including EU + international.

The only bias they give is that towards those from Edinburgh itself.
    The last time I saw the official stats, it was about 35% (7300 of 21500) from England (for the University as a whole) and just over 45% of the University was non-Scottish (10900 of 21500). Advantage is given to those in two tiers- in Edinburgh/East and surrounding areas, then the rest of Scots/some pockets of Northern England. Statistical information is on the website, and more info on the selection process is here: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...lection/select.

It's actually relatively common, given the differences in the educational system (where Scots don't sit AHs in great numbers thus can only be considered at Scottish unis) that Scottish universities give preference to Scottish applicants, particularly those in local areas. Edinburgh and Glasgow definitely do, St Andrews don't really (since there isn't much of a local area to speak of surrounding the university), but thats a different thing entirely to saying that you can't get in if you're English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    The last time I saw the official stats, it was about 35% (7300 of 21500) from England (for the University as a whole) and just over 45% of the University was non-Scottish (10900 of 21500). Advantage is given to those in two tiers- in Edinburgh/East and surrounding areas, then the rest of Scots/some pockets of Northern England. Statistical information is on the website, and more info on the selection process is here: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...lection/select.

It's actually relatively common, given the differences in the educational system (where Scots don't sit AHs in great numbers thus can only be considered at Scottish unis) that Scottish universities give preference to Scottish applicants, particularly those in local areas. Edinburgh and Glasgow definitely do, St Andrews don't really (since there isn't much of a local area to speak of surrounding the university), but thats a different thing entirely to saying that you can't get in if you're English.

I was referring to Medicine with the ratio. The proportion of English to Scottish applicants is the same as English to Scottish offer-holders.

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed at how many times I've answered this question! There's only slightly more Scottish students than English students, and the applicant to offer ratio is the same.

There seems to be some confusion on this thread about the LEAPS programme. Certain state schools in the Lothian area are included in this programme, and students from low income backgrounds or whose parents didn't go to uni can be accepted with lower grade requirements after interview. But this equates to maybe 10-15 people a year, and is very similar to improving access programmes run at almost every other Medical School.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    I spend a few days away from TSR and come back to find its sunken ever deeper into a massive pool of facepalm.

Edinburgh do take english students.
    Pool of facepalm.

Ah, just facepalm. xx

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.