Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uhh... does anyone feel completely PRICED OUT of a Postgraduate course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for journalism, so a postgrad Diploma is gonna set me back anywhere between £5000-7000.

Now I just can't afford that. The only thing I could actually think of is a loan.

What alternatives are there... if any? I know there are scholarships, but if I really got a scholarship, I'd go right ahead and eat my laptop.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Save up? :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    This might not work for journalism, but I am going to Sweden to study - no tuition fees and they have loads of masters programmes taught in English

ReputationRep:
    Work for a few years before doing it and save up? It's what a lot of people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotGivingRealName)
    I'm going for journalism, so a postgrad Diploma is gonna set me back anywhere between £5000-7000.

Now I just can't afford that. The only thing I could actually think of is a loan.

What alternatives are there... if any? I know there are scholarships, but if I really got a scholarship, I'd go right ahead and eat my laptop.
    Save your money.

If you want to be a journalist, seriously; go and get some quality experience. I know plenty of people on the hallowed City/Cardiff MA programmes who aren't doing anthing spectacular apart from writing for publications such as hotel magazines et al.

ReputationRep:
    Look at a MSc Finance before you start moaning... They range from 18-25K!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElemenT')
    Look at a MSc Finance before you start moaning... They range from 18-25K!!!

why so expensive ?

ReputationRep:
    Because people are willing to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    my finance post grad costs 26k if it makes you feel any better.....

ReputationRep:
    That isn't too much... In total, tuition has/will work out to be 50 000 pounds for my undergrad, masters, and law.

ReputationRep:
    HA sorry my postgrad is more like... 120k med school SUUUUUUUUUCKS

ReputationRep:
    Actually, yeah, your posts put things in perspective.

I've already started on the work experience front. Two local radio placements this summer, got one newspaper placement under my belt. Confident I can get a bunch of other placements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown demon)
    Save your money.

If you want to be a journalist, seriously; go and get some quality experience. I know plenty of people on the hallowed City/Cardiff MA programmes who aren't doing anthing spectacular apart from writing for publications such as hotel magazines et al.
    This. Even despite experience, though I had a horrible time trying to break into the industry - I don't have a journalism qualification, but I did do all of the other things you're supposed to do, such as writing constantly for university publications (meaning academic publications as well as uni rags), keeping two critical blogs (one since 2007 and one since 2008) and getting professional work experience (at IPC in London). Could I get anything journalism related? Could I jack (failed to secure an internship at a local newspaper, and my experiences with trying to get into freelance journalism were terrible - people give you the same old crappy excuses about budget and space, play mind games with you, and are just plain rude to you). Too much effort and stress for too little gain in my opinion - I'm not prepared to take that kind of attitude from people when I could probably expend more time and energy on novel-writing and perhaps get further with it. Just shows that even experience is not enough, so if I were you, OP, I'd also have a plan B at the ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    This. Even despite experience, though I had a horrible time trying to break into the industry - I don't have a journalism qualification, but I did do all of the other things you're supposed to do, such as writing constantly for university publications (meaning academic publications as well as uni rags), keeping two critical blogs (one since 2007 and one since 2008) and getting professional work experience (at IPC in London). Could I get anything journalism related? Could I jack (failed to secure an internship at a local newspaper, and my experiences with trying to get into freelance journalism were terrible - people give you the same old crappy excuses about budget and space, play mind games with you, and are just plain rude to you). Too much effort and stress for too little gain in my opinion - I'm not prepared to take that kind of attitude from people when I could probably expend more time and energy on novel-writing and perhaps get further with it. Just shows that even experience is not enough, so if I were you, OP, I'd also have a plan B at the ready.
    I actually feel your pain, seriously. It does seem that experience, luck, contacts, being in the right place/right time combined are needed to crack it as a journalist.

Can only speak from my own experience. I've been fortunate enough through a mix of all of the above factors to get a decent amount of experience with student journalism, then get a recommendation to do work at the BBC, followed by a few stints of work experience/guest appearances on radio, followed by securing a part time job there. As well as being incredibly lucky to get to speak to some senior people at national newspapers and land an internship this summer. You do need to be incredibly thick skinned if this industry is the one for you. Its incredibly damaging hearing the same ol' excuses every single time but its something you have to be able to grin and bear and come back to fight another day. That said cracking a national paper as a grad, the chances are v.slim, words of an editor at the guardian, not mine.

But with regards to the OP, I do not believe for a second that a journalism MA will take you anywhere b/c everyone I've met in the industry [FT, BBC, Guardian, Times, Observer, Dow Jones, Bloomberg, Reuters I could go on with this list] bar one person has a journalism/communications degree and that was from the LSE.

I remain unconvinced about the freelance route myself which is why I won't ever consider it. Give me [if possible a full time job, even if the pay isn't WOW and the chance to progress and its more than enough to do well in the industry].

Unfortunately, with respect to Angeli's experience having a plan B is certainly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    And yet you still get their/there mixed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    And yet you still get their/there mixed up.
    Thank you grammar police.

ReputationRep:
    Any time, they're needed so that subs don't have to pick up slack copy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.