The Student Room Group

Medicine/Sports Science

Basically I am keen to do either Medicine or Sports Science at university...however I am currently doing English, French, PE and Applied Science as A levels.

I was just wondering whether I should carry on doing Applied Science at A2 or whether I should consider doing AS Human Biology or AS Chemistry next year if I do well in my exams?
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
Hipkiss13
anyone?

You need chemistry at A2 to study medicine at university.
Reply 3
Medicine is a very well respected thing to study, sports science is perceived as a Mickey Mouse degree by a lot of people, so go with whichever you feel like.
Reply 4
Without chemistry a lot of places will not be open to you to study medicine.
Reply 5
The two are very different courses, I have to ask what appeals to you about them?
exppex
You need chemistry at A2 to study medicine at university.

I give up hope sometimes

See http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78 you can apply with only As chem however with such fierce compertition I wouldnt recommend it if you cann avoid it possibly consider keeping your applied science and dropping a subject such as PE to take up chemistry to AS. That way you are offering more than one science subject and some biology knowledge.

If you dont revcieve an offer (Remember alot of outstanding candidates dont) then you can always consider taking chem to A2 and picking up Biology in a Gap year and reapplying.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do and remember sport science isnt really a good degree if you ever want to consider graduate entry to medicine.

Oh yeah and remeber a medical application isnt just about subjects and grades you need work experiance etc other wise you could offer all science at grade A and be very very very unlikely to get an offer.
Reply 7
All this advice is very useful and thankyou for your comments...however I am still wondering if it is work taking up AS Human Biology next year and dropping Applied Science to do Sport Science at uni or is it really worth it?
Reply 8
Degausser
The two are very different courses, I have to ask what appeals to you about them?

To answer your question also...I find the human anatomy and physiology very interesting and I am keen to keep learning about the ways we humans work
Reply 9
Hipkiss13
To answer your question also...I find the human anatomy and physiology very interesting and I am keen to keep learning about the ways we humans work

A degree in human physiology or anatomy/human biology may be a better bet than medicine perhaps, as from what you say you dont seem too interested in the interaction of people which Medicine is heavily focused about.
Reply 10
Those two degrees are at polar opposites in terms of how difficult it is to gain admission!

You need to realise that you need several, if not mostly A*s at GCSE and strong grade As at AS level, followed by at least an AAB prediction with at least two science/maths subjects, usually including chemistry, for A2, along with a lot of relevant medical work experience, to be in with a shot at medicine. If you don't have this, medicine isn't totally ruled out but with the competition for seats, your chances of getting admitted are extremely slim, to say the least.

If you aren't totally devoted to medicine, I would rule it out now mate, for your own sake.
Reply 11
brokenangel
I give up hope sometimes

I stand corrected, but how many people do you know that gained a place to do medicine without chemistry to A2?
Reply 12
exppex
I stand corrected, but how many people do you know that gained a place to do medicine without chemistry to A2?
That's a different question.
DJkG.1
Those two degrees are at polar opposites in terms of how difficult it is to gain admission!

You need to realise that you need several, if not mostly A*s at GCSE and strong grade As at AS level, followed by at least an AAB prediction with at least two science/maths subjects, usually including chemistry, for A2, along with a lot of relevant medical work experience, to be in with a shot at medicine. If you don't have this, medicine isn't totally ruled out but with the competition for seats, your chances of getting admitted are extremely slim, to say the least.

If you aren't totally devoted to medicine, I would rule it out now mate, for your own sake.

Although yes this guy is right in a way if medicine is what you really want to do you can always consider many options such as alevels in a gap year or even the dread graduate entry

exppex

As renel said a totally different question but id imagine you will be able to find a few
Reply 14
DJkG.1
Those two degrees are at polar opposites in terms of how difficult it is to gain admission!QUOTE]

I'm guessing that by 'polar opposites in terms of how difficult' you mean grades...3 As with at least 1 science subject to take Sports Science at Bath or Loughborough Uni e.t.c...or have I misread that?

Latest