Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm going camping.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    on Monday, which I haven't done since I was in Brownies or something stupid.

What do I need? Its really a sort of sending off few days for my boyfriends best mate who's going in the army. So its me and my boyfriend and him and his girlfriend.

Do not get any WRONG ideas for all you paedo's.

ReputationRep:
    Lubricant.

ReputationRep:
    Well what do you have already? I assume you have the basics such as tent and sleeping bag?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Well what do you have already? I assume you have the basics such as tent and sleeping bag?

Ermmm I was planning on like... taking a few duvets .

ReputationRep:
    a tent...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    How the hell would you carry a few duvets? They'd just get dirty and be impossible to walk with.

Get sleeping bags. Not expensive these days.

ReputationRep:
    I've done that before but I wouldn't recommend it, a sleeping bag would be much better and easier to transport. Also take things like babywipes if there's no showers and a torch.

ReputationRep:
    Get one of those really powerful camping lights that last for ages on AA batteries, yet are very bright. Can't find a link at the moment, but I'm sure someone else knows what I mean.

Why not get a hiking rucksack that lets you fit everything you need, all in one place?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    2(bf+gf)*isolation = sex

so contraception...

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping bag + ground mat, and bug repellent

ReputationRep:
    Do it, it's really worth it once you've actually got it there. I enjoyed camping for the first time ever last week because I had a good self-inflating mattress and my amazing duvet. It made sleeping so much more comfortable than before when camping. However, not sleeping alone probably helped as well...

ReputationRep:
    Take a bbq
    Cheap one use one

ReputationRep:
    Oh, if you plan on getting disposable barbecues, a word of warning: do not ever get them from Tesco. We only tried ones from there and Co-op when I was camping, but the Tesco ones were 50% more in price than the Co-op ones, and two barely cooked the same amount of food that a single Co-op one did easily. The Co-op ones are also fair trade

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you've got something to sleep on as well... a simple roll mat will do but isn't amazing, an airbed is slightly better (but heavier and needs a pump) and the best is a self-inflating mat as they're super lightweight and easy though these are expensive. Also ensure you have something to use as a pillow (often just a pile of clothes will do) as you take it for granted at home but when it's missing you notice. You probably want a torch of some kind as well. There's probably no need for "a few duvets" unless you feel the cold a lot. Plus you need some means of either cooking or otherwise getting food.

This might get more serious responses in the Travel subforum... alternatively I remember at least one "what do I take camping?" type thread in there a while back so possibly a good place to search!

A lot of this depends on how you are getting there and so how much space you have, and also how long you're going for!

Important thing to remember is to be considerate of your fellow campers. You're going as two couples so a lot of campsites will be happy to let you on which would otherwise be nervous about accepting a group of young people. There will probably be a few families with young children about this time of year... do not forget when you get back to site late at night that there is nothing but a few layers of thin canvas between you and some people trying to sleep! I don't speak from personal experience but I have seen how easy it is to get thrown off a campsite for being noisy late at night - all it takes is a few people to complain.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you go camping? Just stay at home.

ReputationRep:
    A stove, food, torches, tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, warm clothes. Pfft, I sound like I'm an expert or something.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can just have an orgy at home?

Anyway, something to sleep on (those silly roll up mattress things actually help). Sleep in, a low tog sleeping bag is easiest and best for this time of year. Food which you can eat mid day whilst walking (I assume your doing this). A decent sized bottle of water.

Oh, and dont forget the tent

ReputationRep:
    lots and lots of pot noodles

second the baby wipes even if there will be showers
    • PS Helper

Small Medi-kit
    Roll Matt - (you can use airbeds for comfort, but if its cold roll matts tend to be warmer in my exp.)
    Sleeping bag - make sure its warm enough for the weather! (duvets do work, but not always warm enough)
    Alcoholic hand gel (soooo useful!)
    Bog roll
    Torch!!
    Cooking kit & utensils if need be
    Bottles of water/water carrier - (its a ***** walking to get water every 5mins, can get cheap 5lrt one for like a £5 at tesco)
    Its usually too cold for pyjammas so don't bother, and make sure you take plenty of layers. by god can the temp drop at night!! (and if it rains!)

dunno what else......

ReputationRep:
    Mess tins

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.