Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you've done GCSE French, AS a piece of piss apart from the oral. However, I did considerably less than 3 months of prep for my oral and it went fine, so yeah, try it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths! No.. I'm not crazy, or a genius. It's true, in three months you can so learn maths inside out. And you can guarantee yourself marks... the questions are pretty similar.

All you gotta do, get a revision guide, read through and understand for a week. After that.. practice practice and practice exam papers. TRUST ME... defo a c or above in the bag!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    Biology - the least conceptually difficult of the sciences - and one that you can simply read the textbook on the day before the exam and get an A.
    have you taken it yourself? i dont think so. maybe true that you need to read the textbook, but you need to know basically everything and this takes ages to learn. plus the exam technique you need to be familiar with

ReputationRep:
    That new Science For The Public or whatever, seems piss easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raos)
    have you taken it yourself? i dont think so. maybe true that you need to read the textbook, but you need to know basically everything and this takes ages to learn. plus the exam technique you need to be familiar with
    I'm taking it at the moment.

If you learn fast, then it's really just revision time.

Exam technique is a very small part of it - it plays a much bigger role in an arts subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    Ok, it's so NOT geography.
    Seriously.

Critical thinking/general studies has got to be your best plan.
    Yes, I'm thinking of General Studies. Have you heard of CIE General Paper?

ReputationRep:
    Either take general studies or if you're good at maths, you could try working extra hard and go for the a-level in that. At my school we worked through A-level maths in 7ish months so get a good tutor and work hard. Whatever you choose you have to stick at it; won't be easy.

ReputationRep:
    Biology - the least conceptually difficult of the sciences - and one that you can simply read the textbook on the day before the exam and get an A.
    lol that's a lie, Biology is by far more difficult than media studies, film studies, sociology. The amount of information you need to remember for Biology is more than both chemistry and physics, you'd need a super photographic memory to remember that much from the night before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varciani)

P.S: Oh, and the AQA Extended Project was actually created so that it can be completed in free time. Check it out.
    That's only worth the same amount as an AS level and you can't do it as a private candidate.

I'd say something like Crit Thinking if you're good at that sort of thing..it's a subject with very little content to learn anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there some dossy "Science in Society" A Level; that or critical thinking/ general studies
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    media or general studies

ReputationRep:
    How about psychology? I reckon that could be done in three months if you only want a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    lol that's a lie, Biology is by far more difficult than media studies, film studies, sociology. The amount of information you need to remember for Biology is more than both chemistry and physics, you'd need a super photographic memory to remember that much from the night before.
    I disagree. The amount required for chemistry exceeds biology, while both chemistry and physics actually require understanding of concepts (while biology relies on rote learning.)

Biology also has less of a doss reputation than the other subjects you mention.

For reference, I don't posses a "super photographic memory" but managed to revise successfully for science exams this year by revising on the day before.

ReputationRep:
    Media studies.. don't you just watch films?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. The amount required for chemistry exceeds biology, while both chemistry and physics actually require understanding of concepts (while biology relies on rote learning.)

For reference, I don't posses a "super photographic memory" but managed to revise successfully for science exams this year by revising on the day before.
    What exam board/units did you take?

ReputationRep:

Biology is the weakest of the 3 sciences, both in difficulty and in reputation.

However, it is underestimated. There is a hell of a lot to memorise and know. And it takes a good month or two to pick up the exam technique. How you phrase certain things & the level of depth you give to an answer can cost you many marks. Hence the 50-60% grade boundary for an A in some papers.

ReputationRep:
    psychology :d:d:d

ReputationRep:
    May I also say, General Studies. In our school, we do no studying for it and just sit the exam so in 3 months you'd have a massive head start on us. However, a word of warning - you need a pretty balanced knowledge of the sciences and arts to get an A, so if you're good at one and rubbish at the other maybe not a wise choice.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what your into.

I'd say ICT is quite easy to do but you do need coursework for it.

RS is quite good if you can bother to learn an outline of the material. Most of the exams are just applied critical thinking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.