Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Easiest A Level subject? Got 3 months! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im sorry to break it to you but no a-level is easy... you're going to have to work your ass off regardless... even general studies i heard people complain about... i WOULD NOT ADVISE SOCIOLOGY but media may be a good choice...

ReputationRep:
    Meh ICT is more difficult than most people think. It probably depends on the exam board though. For AS I had a 2hr 30min exam and at A2 a 10hr exam on Databases where we had to build a database from scratch.

The Coursework is quite demanding. I had to manage an entire project for a real life client and create the product. There are alot of essays you have to do too. One of mine was 21 pages of A4 long.

Its time consuming, but if you're dedicated and work hard then it could perhaps be possible to do it in 3 months maybe. May be more difficult to do the Coursework and learn the stuff you need for the exam though...

Though I do agree with the above poster. No A-Level is easy. They all have their difficult attributes.

ReputationRep:
    Business Studies A-Level. On the basis there are more than a few places that offer 8 week intensive courses for passing it.

ReputationRep:
    General Studies, rofl.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology obviously

ReputationRep:
    How about english lit? Get the books and read read read. Look them up on the internet and find some hypothesis about them etc, and make notes on that?

ReputationRep:
    General Studies - but makesure whatever you need the alevel for, accepts it.
    Or something like Business Studies (most of the exam marks are based on exam technique so there isnt a lot of content to learn)

ReputationRep:
    It may be pretty unheard of, but if you're interested in that sort of thing, then how about World Development (WJEC exam board). There's not that much content, and papers are fairly similar from year to year, so if you did a couple of past papers, you'd know roughly what to write. There is a small amount of coursework, but it's not particularly long or hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bio1111)
    I am required to obtain 1 A level in ANY subject and I just have 3 months to study for the exams ( yes, just 3 months, overseas) Exams will be held in November. What subject should I take? Someone said Geophraphy is quite easy. I'm must get a grade C or above. Please help!
    Economics is quite easy. And because you only need a C, you can do really well on the easy AS modules and do the bare minimum on the A2 modules (which involve a lot of writing!).

ReputationRep:
    The easiest subject I did was Psychology...

ReputationRep:
    Law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bio1111)
    I am required to obtain 1 A level in ANY subject and I just have 3 months to study for the exams ( yes, just 3 months, overseas) Exams will be held in November. What subject should I take? Someone said Geophraphy is quite easy. I'm must get a grade C or above. Please help!
    A whole A-level, done "privately", with CIE only, available in November 2009, is that right?

Some of the suggestions here are not feasible. The A-level Science in Society is an AQA A-level, not available overseas.

The General Paper for CIE is AS only, but you might consider the Edexcel General Studies A-level. If you absolutely need the qualification in November, then only the CIE version is available, and that will limit you to an AS only.

The A-level Critical Thinking suggestion is valid, but it is offered by OCR (and now AQA) only. But CIE do offer A-level Thinking Skills, which is available in November. Its four papers have slightly different requirements, one being the higher amount of numerical and statistical reasoning than OCR or AQA A-level Critical Thinking.

A-level Maths with CIE is found to be more difficult overall than the British A-levels in Maths, but self-teaching Maths is likely to be fairly easy, as the revision is so practice-based. That could be an alternative.

I think some more information about your background is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    What exam board/units did you take?
    F211/212 OCR

ReputationRep:
    French

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_skater_jnoo_x)
    French
    No way! Especially if you do an exam board that has literature in it :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosh_123)
    No way! Especially if you do an exam board that has literature in it :eek:
    yes way!! ...well...i've only just completed as and the level of difficulty was really pathetic even my teacher was really annoyed...i don't know which was easier, as or gcse...

ReputationRep:
    Trust me if you do the board that I did (you won't though as the specification changed after our year) there's a HUGE jump between As and A2 level. Not sure about the new specifications tho - you might be right, i wouldn't know how hard that is :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovebland)
    Biology is the weakest of the 3 sciences, both in difficulty and in reputation.

However, it is underestimated. There is a hell of a lot to memorise and know. And it takes a good month or two to pick up the exam technique. How you phrase certain things & the level of depth you give to an answer can cost you many marks. Hence the 50-60% grade boundary for an A in some papers.
    Months to pick up the mantra of putting 3 points down for a 3 mark question? While there is a lot to learn, it's not hard to do :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a paper with a 50-60% grade boundary for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    Months to pick up the mantra of putting 3 points down for a 3 mark question? While there is a lot to learn, it's not hard to do :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a paper with a 50-60% grade boundary for an A.
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pd...OUND-JAN09.PDF

Unit 4 Biology B. 54/81 to get an A for this exam season, but there have been other times when it was the lovely 50-60%.

I said a month, maybe two to "pick up the mantra". It sounds completely ridiculous not being able to pick up the technique, but it was a widespread problem among A level biology students. You can never know how much depth to give to an answer, and mark schemes from different seasons can differ so much.

Unless you did AQA A Level Biology B and picked up the technique. You'd be the first student I've met that was able to lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Media studies.. don't you just watch films?

Nope, only one module is textual analysis (analysing films like you would a novel)

One module involves analysis of the structure of the British film industry and a piece of critical research on female representation in the film industry (both on and off screen), one module analyses consumerism and marketing.

Two modules are group coursework; each of them taking about three months each from initial ideas, to planning, production, post production and analysis.

Lol to be fair, its like saying "English is just reading books isnt it?" or "maths is just doing sums isnt it?"

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.