Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovebland)
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pd...OUND-JAN09.PDF

Unit 4 Biology B. 54/81 to get an A for this exam season, but there have been other times when it was the lovely 50-60%.

I said a month, maybe two to "pick up the mantra". It sounds completely ridiculous not being able to pick up the technique, but it was a widespread problem among A level biology students. You can never know how much depth to give to an answer, and mark schemes from different seasons can differ so much.

Unless you did AQA A Level Biology B and picked up the technique. You'd be the first student I've met that was able to lol.
    Fair enough

I have no experience of AQA biology :redface:

ReputationRep:
    How about, you don't bother doing it. Go College next year and get more than one A-Level rather than busting your balls for three months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bio1111)
    I am required to obtain 1 A level in ANY subject and I just have 3 months to study for the exams ( yes, just 3 months, overseas) Exams will be held in November. What subject should I take? Someone said Geophraphy is quite easy. I'm must get a grade C or above. Please help!
    When you're only doing one subject for three months, as opposed to the more common three or four, any subject is easy.

ReputationRep:
    I am required to obtain 1 A level in ANY subject and I just have 3 months to study for the exams ( yes, just 3 months, overseas) Exams will be held in November. What subject should I take? Someone said Geophraphy is quite easy. I'm must get a grade C or above. Please help!
    My friends find Geography difficult.
    I'd say avoid the sciences, maths (unless you're very good at it) and the big essay subjects ie History.
    RS/RE, Home Economics, PE, Social Studies, Media Studies, Film Studies, Theatre Studies?
    Most anything with the word 'Studies' in it is generally not too challenging :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rupertj)
    When you're only doing one subject for three months, as opposed to the more common three or four, any subject is easy.
    Perhaps, but not necessarily. Three months is a very short time to teach yourself the course and to memorise it well. Especially if OP is talking about a full 2 year a-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    F211/212 OCR
    Well unit 1 just builds on GCSE so fair enough if you do well on that with revision the night before. unit 2 is just easy, I gained 100% on that unit myself with a weeks worth of revision. Until you do unit 5 which actually is the hardest unit from past experience you can't exactly say it's easy.

You can say unit 1,2 and 3 are easy but definitely not 5 with such limited time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Well unit 1 just builds on GCSE so fair enough if you do well on that with revision the night before. unit 2 is just easy, I gained 100% on that unit myself with a weeks worth of revision. Until you do unit 5 which actually is the hardest unit from past experience you can't exactly say it's easy.

You can say unit 1,2 and 3 are easy but definitely not 5 with such limited time.
    Seeing as this specification is new for this year, I'll give you a :facepalm: for your efforts.

ReputationRep:
    If you're from overseas, is English your first language? If not, then take your 1st language as a 2nd language subject. Even if there is coursework it will be so easily you should be able to do it in a couple of hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_skater_jnoo_x)
    yes way!! ...well...i've only just completed as and the level of difficulty was really pathetic even my teacher was really annoyed...i don't know which was easier, as or gcse...
    Ah, someone who agrees! The exams were dead easy and also way too long. Having 30-40 minutes free on an exam that long just before lunch is not fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelyus)
    A whole A-level, done "privately", with CIE only, available in November 2009, is that right?

Some of the suggestions here are not feasible. The A-level Science in Society is an AQA A-level, not available overseas.

The General Paper for CIE is AS only, but you might consider the Edexcel General Studies A-level. If you absolutely need the qualification in November, then only the CIE version is available, and that will limit you to an AS only.

The A-level Critical Thinking suggestion is valid, but it is offered by OCR (and now AQA) only. But CIE do offer A-level Thinking Skills, which is available in November. Its four papers have slightly different requirements, one being the higher amount of numerical and statistical reasoning than OCR or AQA A-level Critical Thinking.

A-level Maths with CIE is found to be more difficult overall than the British A-levels in Maths, but self-teaching Maths is likely to be fairly easy, as the revision is so practice-based. That could be an alternative.

I think some more information about your background is required.

You are absolutely right! I need to study a whole A level CIE subject and take the exams in November 2009. It has to be a CIE subject, well, it could be an Edexcel subject but they don't offer all the subjects overseas.

Thank you so much for solving the CIE General Paper mystery! That's no more an option for me now. Thinking Skills involves a lot of study I guess, statistics and all that?

So I guess I'm left with Business Studies and Geography....ummm....there's Sociology, Psycology.....really not sure what subject to go for.

ReputationRep:
    Accounting!
    Oh my fish, it's sooooooo easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    Maths! No.. I'm not crazy, or a genius. It's true, in three months you can so learn maths inside out. And you can guarantee yourself marks... the questions are pretty similar.

All you gotta do, get a revision guide, read through and understand for a week. After that.. practice practice and practice exam papers. TRUST ME... defo a c or above in the bag!
    Yeahh, if you're looking just to pass, this is sound advice.
    You can pretty much guarantee to pick up a certain quota of marks, even just by studying for one small section of the course.

However, I might suggest just going for pure maths AS, given that this approach of limiting yourself to certain sections of the course will be easier, given that you'll just be studying, well, pure maths!

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why you have to do this?

I think that General Studies is only easy if you have a background in the subjects covered. I was lucky as the other subjects I did at A-level were quite linked in to Gen Studies topics so I got an A but a lot of my friends who did subjects which were completely unlinked struggled and a lot of them failed.

ReputationRep:
    I just need to have one A level in any subject (CIE board) and without coursework or practicals because I'm a private candidate. The university requires me to do it and since I work as well, I couldn't start studying earlier. That's why....I just have 3 months. General studies is no more an option anyway because CIE offers only an AS level General Paper exam. I need to have a complete A level......What do you think of Geography? People have told me it's difficult, some have said it's very easy....what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Maths.. just my opinion. If you work hard you just can't go wrong, you're guaranteed an A. Unlike subjects like History, you know how you've done at the end of a Maths exam. Again, work hard and you'll get an A for Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    Which paper?
    Jan 09, can't remember the exam board, I think OCR.

ReputationRep:
    definately critical thinking. i went to 6 1 hour lessons and picked it all up quite easy. its common sense most of it, well if not common sense it is quite simple to pick up really.only thing is to see if the course you want to do accepts it

ReputationRep:
    Citizenship my friend..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prilynn)
    Maths.. just my opinion. If you work hard you just can't go wrong, you're guaranteed an A. Unlike subjects like History, you know how you've done at the end of a Maths exam. Again, work hard and you'll get an A for Maths.
    You want him to do an entire maths A2 in three months?

You harsh ****...

ReputationRep:
    I would say that the subject that you are most able at, eg the one that you performed best at at GCSE, will be the one you personally find easiest. For example, if you're a maths whizz then it will be maths, but for someone like me it would be the hardest. I'm not convinced there is a single 'easiest for everyone' A-Level.

However, a list of A-Levels are their relative difficulty can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355. The ones blacklisted by Cambridge/LSE along with CT/GS are widely considered the easiest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.