Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what I can possibly do to help alleviate the above issue.

I graduated with a 2.2 (with mitigating circumstances) and panicked and took on a job with BNP Paribas Securities Services, in the form of a rotation program in 4 business lines. Initially for a year it was going to be in Glasgow with the rest in London. The problem first arose with us being given back office/middle office roles however due to many issues the program has been getting worse month by month. I now need to prepare myself to be in a good position.

Would taking extra financial qualifications be a good to way to make myself look like a better candidate for other jobs on offer or are these an expensive folly which will be overshadowed by what i have actually done etc.

Any advice as to what I could consider doing?

ReputationRep:
    I, along with a lot of other grads on my scheme had pretty much the same problem. The scheme was advertised as one thing and we were given something VERY different. Good news is that there is a way out.

What I have done (and a good few of the other grads have also done) is to just start contacting other parts of the business (or other desks in your case) and tell them that you're looking to get into their division, a bit about your experience etc.. I found that each person I spoke to was pretty keen to get a grad on board and would go out of their way to help. Just get out there talking to people because there are always roles coming up that aren't advertised and grad schemes can often be quite flexible with this.

Just to give you an idea about how possible this is, my scheme was a retail banking one and from the grads that I know from the branches, one has moved into strategy for the retail distribution business, one has become a credit analyst in corporate + commercial banking and one has just moved into global banking and markets. This coming from grads in the branches!

Just my two cents

Rik

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the email Rik. I have spotted opportunities that exist in the business which are very very appealing to me. However I have been in the company only 10 months, and the person running the program is very very very negative with us wanting to stray away from what she has planned for us. In fact when I mention where I wish to go I got a very blase response of "Ooo that business line isn't really in this location"... Thus making me very worried and wanting to plan for a scenario in which I may not have an opportunity to go where I want to go.

ReputationRep:
    I had the exact same situation. Allow me to quote a rather senior member in our HR team "I know some of you are probably thinking that the retail scheme is going to be some sort of backdoor into a head office job.....WELL IT'S NOT! You were hired for the branches and you will stay in the branches!"

Needless to say we just bypassed her. I started on my scheme last Oct so i'm in pretty much the same situation. You'll find pretty quickly that HR really have very little power, they like to think they're really important and that they call the shots, but they don't. If you have a manager who wants you in his team, he tells HR to sort out the paperwork and there is very little that HR can do. Worst comes to worst you have to leave the grad scheme (boo hoo, no grad meet up days etc..) but you will now be in the team that you want to be in.

Initially I was looking externally but realised that it doesn't look the best on your CV leaving a grad scheme after a year.

Not really sure what you could do if you're looking externally though. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am looking to go around the HR and get in direct contact with the person who runs what I am interested in. That would be my preferred option as I do not really want to leave.

Thanks for the info regarding your situation, best of luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    Did you take an internship before you graduated? You did well to get in with a 2.2! - I have heard nothing but bad things about BNP paribas. HR are just low level expendable drones at any bank.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.