Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you care whether actors/musicians/footballers/bankers are overpaid? Watch

• View Poll Results: THE POLL
    Yes, and it drives me mad. I work like a dog to earn my money and they do it while sleeping!
    37.50%
    No, I couldn't give a toss as long as they keep me entertained
    25.00%
    No because I'll eventually earn more than them!
    12.50%
    BUUUNNNNIIIIIESSSSSSSS :P
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care how much people get paid from private industries, no.

So actors, musicians and footballers? Not really.

As for people in the public sector, I care quite a lot. And since bankers are now mostly included in the public sector, I do care about what their wages and bonuses are.

ReputationRep:
    It only bothers me when they are not actually that good.

Like, for example some singers are absolutely pants. They are not artists in any sense of the word - can't sing, can't write their songs, no individuality (aka Britney Spears) and she has millions. Its not right.

But what can you do, eh?

ReputationRep:
    It's not directly affecting me.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

Remember? It's the people who go crazy for entertainment, movies, music, sports, who pay the money.

As for the bankers... again, who pays them? Erm, the people who get punked into getting mortgages and loans. However the main reason is capitalism. You can make how much you like. It's perfectly fair. Some of the money does evetually go back to society, but on the whole, it can be enraging to witness those scams that make the rich so filthy rich. Anyway, I can deal with it. It's middle-class people who need to wake up and do something about it if they don't like it. We need new and fresh political vision, not those sleepy cows in Parliament who don't have a clue what they're there for.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the slightest.
    I'm not sure how you'd define "overpaid" anyway.

actors/musicians/footballers earn a lot because of the success and income they bring to their employers
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LaLaLaKas)
    It doesn't bother me as such, but it is quite annoying that there are people who earn a fraction of their earnings, but do a much more important job... so 1 I guess
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    to be fair they might be getting paid a lot but they are getting taxed to high hell, so to be be fair they are contributing a fair of whack to society through taxation and we are benefiting from this even if we don't see it that much.

they do something which draws in money so why not reap the benefits themselves. if someone wants to pay a footballer £60,000 a week then more fool them.
    Even if they earn like £1million, £500000 after taxes is still A LOT!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I hope to be overpaid one day.

I'm more annoyed that certain professions are underpaid. Nurses for example.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's annoying when you have over proffessions like doctors/nurses/police/teachers and stuff who do a lot more and get paid peanuts compared to them.:p:
    I think it's stupid how how footballers get paid to be honest. It's like you're kicking a ball round a pitch every week or whatever. :lolwut: How that results in millions of pounds i'll never know.
    Actors don't annoy me as much pay wise.

(Original post by captnibby1234)
    Even if they earn like £1million, £500000 after taxes is still A LOT!!!
    its still a lot of money, but the average worker in the untied kingdom gets £23,000 a year ends up paying tax of about £5,200 a year.

if someone is earing £1million they are paying £400,000 a year in tax thats nearly the same as 77 regular people paying tax.

for an example here I'm going to take the top 10 highest paid sports personalities in 2007. just for the sakes of this 1$ = £1

had they all been taxed in the united kingdom on all their earnings through sponsorship etc. their total income would have been £348million

this would have put £142,673,688 of tax into the chancellors pocket. that is a staggering 27,437 average peoples taxes. they are helping the country so much by getting paid such high wages. if they had their salaries cut the government would have less money to fund the NHS, schools and many other things. they would then have to resort to taxing companies and individuals more to make up this extra money they need. you'd also see VAT increase and various other taxes being introduced. so on the whole I can't argue too much against people earning lots of money. i jsut find it stupid people will pay them these ammounts.

all figures came from:http://www.top10land.com/top-ten-hig...s-in-2007.html

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.