Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Just wondered if anyone is taking a tv to uni with them? Also, could anyone currently at Bath tell me what the reception is like in say Brendon Court (or generally in any residence)?

Thanks, Lucy :-)

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about the reception, but I will take a tv to connect my laptop to it...laptop screens are too small

ReputationRep:
    Are you aware that you have to pay tv license at most unis ? Just thought i'd let you know.
    I'm considering taking a TV with me as well, like a small 20 inch.
    Dunno about Bath uni.

ReputationRep:
    Just because u take a tv means you have to pay tv licence? The use I will give to the tv is a computer screen not actual tv watching...maybe occasionally

ReputationRep:
    No crazy amount of money spent on a TV license for me. I'll be living on DVDs/ downloads/ iPlayer/ ITV player/ 4OD/ youtube etc. More than enough to keep me going anyways.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to use it for watching live TV, then yeah, you need a license. You need it for anything that can broadcast live TV (so some computers, some phones)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    No crazy amount of money spent on a TV license for me. I'll be living on DVDs/ downloads/ iPlayer/ ITV player/ 4OD/ youtube etc. More than enough to keep me going anyways.
    +1000000000:p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elfen)
    If you're going to use it for watching live TV, then yeah, you need a license. You need it for anything that can broadcast live TV (so some computers, some phones)
    The bit in bold is correct, the second sentance is incorrect.

You do not need a license just because something can recieve a live signal. You do need a license if you are actually going to watch this live signal.

There's an FAQ up with explains when you do and dont need a license.

ReputationRep:
    If you dont mind ill use this thread to ask a question about tv. This is mainly directed to any spanish students and/or students interested in the Spanish football league (liga bbva). If you watched the matches, how did you do so? Like is there a channel that shows those matches or what?:confused:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I actually lived in Brendon Court last year and brought a television along with me. I can tell you that the reception was good overall. It didn't pick up a few freeview channels (I think a few music ones, and film4?) but it picked up the majority of them. The rooms are fitted with an aerial port so you will obviously need a cable to connect.

Anymore questions feel free to ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markt_lfc)
    Hello, I actually lived in Brendon Court last year and brought a television along with me. I can tell you that the reception was good overall. It didn't pick up a few freeview channels (I think a few music ones, and film4?) but it picked up the majority of them. The rooms are fitted with an aerial port so you will obviously need a cable to connect.

Anymore questions feel free to ask me.

Thanks for the info!

So does that mean (for definite) that I will be able to connect my TV to an external aerial and therefore, I wouldn't need to bring an internal aerial?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely an aerial port in the room, but I never used it myself. To be honest, I'd be surprised if you have time to watch much TV!
    Like Jelephant, I found that the internet provides all decent TV for free

An alternative is Freewire TV. It's basically freeview on your PC over the internet. You will still need a license.

ReputationRep:
    If I ever watched TV in the first year then it was in the kitchen (they all have aerial points) someone had a cheap old portable which we kept there and I supplied an old DVD player and Freeview box (you don't get all the channels but it's not too bad).

I had a TV in my room and a license for it (which I could of easily gotten away with not having if I had been inclined) but I hardly ever watched TV, if your in a big house then odds on peoples DVD collections will keep you going for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, do we need a TV license for all TVs we own?
    I mean, if I have a TV in my room and one in the kitchen, do I have to have 2 licenses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacThere4iAm)
    To be honest, I'd be surprised if you have time to watch much TV!
    Because of the work load? :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinitoo1)
    Because of the work load? :eek3: :eek3:
    Frankly, in a house full of students there's usually something a lot more entertaining happening than what's on TV. This is true at any time of the night or day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_br)
    Just wondering, do we need a TV license for all TVs we own?
    I mean, if I have a TV in my room and one in the kitchen, do I have to have 2 licenses?
    Lol, No.

You only need 1 TV license per household under joint tenancy agreement. Under a seperate tenancy agreement, you'll need 1 TV license per person owning a TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucylou672x)
    Thanks for the info!

So does that mean (for definite) that I will be able to connect my TV to an external aerial and therefore, I wouldn't need to bring an internal aerial?

Thanks again
    Just to reiterate what others have said above, you will definately be able to connect to an external aerial.

Whilst I would agree that most of the time there is always something going on, there will obviously be times that you have to yourself, and I personally have no regrets in having taken a TV.

Just a bit of advice in terms of the TV license. Wait until October before buying the license, therefore when you leave in June, you can cancel and get the cost of 3 months worth refunded (~£35). Bear in mind that they only refund in three month chunks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Lol, No.

You only need 1 TV license per household under joint tenancy agreement. Under a seperate tenancy agreement, you'll need 1 TV license per person owning a TV.
    thanks for answering my stupid question :p:
    I was hoping I could share the license with some flatmates =/

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen anything there myself, but I understand that most Spanish matches are broadcast at www.rojadirecta.com.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.