Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Idiot boy needs a psychiatrist:@ watch

This idiot is a boy in my year at sixth form. I hardly know him, and he doesn't know me. When he moved to that school he was bullied quite a bit. His friends stuck by him and helped him get through this. Now, as far as I know, this bullying has stopped. If you can't be bothered to read all of it then please look at the last paragraph.

But recently I have been hearing about him and how much of an idiot he is. He looks like a nice person, not one of those vain, stuck-up people. However he is a fine example of why you should not judge a book by its cover. He has a big ego, and thinks he's so much better than other people.

For example, there is a girl that likes him, and although he was flattered that someone liked him, he didn't bother getting to know her. Whenever his friends talk about her, trying to convince him to talk about her, he starts talking about how ugly she is. Now this girl is really nice, and although she may not be conventially pretty, but she is definitely not ugly. This is what ticks me off...he thinks too much of himself, depite the fact that his own friends have told him his flaws. Now whenever I see him I feel like yelling at him and telling him to sort himself out, but I would never do this as I am shy irl lol. His friends are very nice to him, they do tease him themselves, but he knows that they're just joking around. They have asked him (nicely) why he acts like such a p****, but he just tells them to shut the **** up.

I think that he acts this way because there is something bothering him. It could be because of the bullying (he may have been bullied at his previous school as well) and that all of this could have caused him to be like this. Or maybe there is something else wrong. Although he has fun with his friends he feels closed off. This is proved by his MSN Messenger personal message, which says something about how he feels lonely as soon as he gets home and closes the door:confused:

Its like there's a barrier between him and everyone else...I feel like someone should 'save' him, that his friends should talk to him and find out what the problem is. But how can his friends do this? What do you suggest they should do in order to get him to speak about what's wrong?

ReputationRep:
    not everybody who acts like a **** needs psychiatric help. he's probably just an ass*****.

ReputationRep:
    You don't actually know him. So why should it concern you so much?

ReputationRep:
    That does sound problematic. Possibly he acts arrogant because he is insecure? I'm probably not the best person to give advice though. I had a friend who I tried to 'save' and I couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Because the OP is genuinely a good, caring person?

( I don't mean for that to sound as sarcastic as it does, I just can't think of any other way of phrasing it)

ReputationRep:
    he doesn't sound like he's suffering from a mental illness.

He may be egocentric, or indeed compensating for an insecurity, but having a big ego or being insecure about something are just everyday traits. they are not illnesses as such.

I think just ignore him, or even in a jokey way just say to him he thinks his **** doesn't stink lol.

ReputationRep:
    Probably needs a good slap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    Because the OP is genuinely a good, caring person?

( I don't mean for that to sound as sarcastic as it does, I just can't think of any other way of phrasing it)
    Yeah I understand that the OP might be a caring person, and that's a good thing. But I dunno, seems like there's a lot of emotion towards the 'idiot boy'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Its like there's a barrier between him and everyone else...I feel like someone should 'save' him, that his friends should talk to him and find out what the problem is. But how can his friends do this? What do you suggest they should do in order to get him to speak about what's wrong?
    i did read all of your post, with regards to the last part, its not quite as easy as fixing something mechanical and logical; the human mind just doesn't behave like that. There is something wrong with him on the inside, my advice would be that if his friends want to truly help him then they must talk to him about more personal things, ie family, himself and so on. If they can put up with his outer, arrogant shell and persist with finding out whats bothering him then they'll eventually help him to open up his feelings.

in a nutshell - let him talk about him (self) and offer a listening ear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For example, there is a girl that likes him, and although he was flattered that someone liked him, he didn't bother getting to know her. Whenever his friends talk about her, trying to convince him to talk about her, he starts talking about how ugly she is. Now this girl is really nice, and although she may not be conventially pretty, but she is definitely not ugly.
    Wait, is this girl you ?

ReputationRep:
    Bullied people often bully others, give him a break - it's not your business how he acts.

ReputationRep:
    I think you fancy him

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand that the OP might be a caring person, and that's a good thing. But I dunno, seems like there's a lot of emotion towards the 'idiot boy'
    Hm, perhaps

ReputationRep:
    I agree.. OP fancies idiot boy.

(Original post by Cupcakee)
    Wait, is this girl you ?
    Was gonna post exactly the same thing.

And since when does not wanting to date someone you don't find attractive == need for psychiatric care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Was gonna post exactly the same thing.

And since when does not wanting to date someone you don't find attractive == need for psychiatric care?
    Exactly... suspicious

ReputationRep:
    Is this a joke? A girl fancies him, and he says he's flattered but doesn't care, and that's wrong? He can be interested in whoever he wants, it's none of your business if he thinks she's ugly (which he only told you because you kept pushing him). I think you're just jealous he can get someone you find hot anytime he wants. Leave him be.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting.. The girl's you, right?

Anyway, I don't think you personally can try to do anything. Why don't you try arranging a day out with your group of friends and his, and go out one day. Cinema trip or something.

(Original post by Cupcakee)
    Wait, is this girl you ?
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    I think you fancy him
    (Original post by amii_G)
    Interesting.. The girl's you, right?

Anyway, I don't think you personally can try to do anything. Why don't you try arranging a day out with your group of friends and his, and go out one day. Cinema trip or something.
    I am concerned because I guess I genuinely feel sorry for him (especially after finding out what his personal message on MSN was). Its like he's hiding something, some kind of burden, and that he needs help/someone to talk to, but he's too proud to accept something's wrong. When I see him it feels like something has to be done. The part about the girl is just an example of what he is like. The word 'idiot' just sums him up.

And just to clear up, this girl is not me, but a friend. She is a bit stupid herself (she admits this) because despite what she's said about her she still likes him :mad:

(Original post by Kinsula)
    Probably needs a good slap
    Yepp he does, but no-one is willing to do so...

(Original post by MichaelG)
    i did read all of your post, with regards to the last part, its not quite as easy as fixing something mechanical and logical; the human mind just doesn't behave like that. There is something wrong with him on the inside, my advice would be that if his friends want to truly help him then they must talk to him about more personal things, ie family, himself and so on. If they can put up with his outer, arrogant shell and persist with finding out whats bothering him then they'll eventually help him to open up his feelings.

in a nutshell - let him talk about him (self) and offer a listening ear.
    Thanks for your reply but like I have said his friends have tried for a long time to talk to him. But when it comes to personal things he just gets aggressive and changes the subject. (He doesn't really know me, so I cannot try myself). They want him to open up and talk, but just don't know how to get him to do so.

(Original post by Psyche05)
    That does sound problematic. Possibly he acts arrogant because he is insecure? I'm probably not the best person to give advice though. I had a friend who I tried to 'save' and I couldn't.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah he could be insecure...his friends just want him to tell them why he's like that (they are the closest people to him) but he just doesn't speak about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.