x Turn on thread page Beta

Animal Testing watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    they deserve it...animals do nothing to harm us
    We cull more rodents each year to stop them spreading disease than we do in medical testing.

ReputationRep:
    Poll?!

Yes its wrong
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    Poll?!

Yes its wrong
    Should we cull rats in the sewers to stop them spreading disease and stop us being overrun?

Should everyone be forced to be vegetarian?

Just interested .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Should we cull rats in the sewers to stop them spreading disease and stop us being overrun?

Should everyone be forced to be vegetarian?

Just interested .
    Im not vegetarian - couldnt survive without my steaks

I jus think that animal testing is mean when they cant say how theyre feeling, so its a form of torture. And they could be seriously hurt.
    Plus, were no different to "animals" cus we are animals. just that weve got very developed brains etc.

Im not good at debating and expressing my opinions...

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it's wrong - I think animal testing for medical purposes has been important in the past when there was no viable alternative, but now when there are methods such as using human stem cells/skin samples and computer models there's less of a need for it. Especially as animal testing doesn't always produce accurate results - just look at the whole thalidimide thing in the 50's =\

And the way a lot of the animals are treated is just plain cruelty =(

ReputationRep:
    It's not wrong when done for legitimate medical purposes.

ReputationRep:
    I think testing should be done on criminals who are sentenced to death or life in prison. Obviously it would be beyond politicians to think of something as efficient as that though, human rights and all that - even to those who've had their rights removed!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im not vegetarian - couldnt survive without my steaks

I jus think that animal testing is mean when they cant say how theyre feeling, so its a form of torture. And they could be seriously hurt.
    Plus, were no different to "animals" cus we are animals. just that weve got very developed brains etc.

Im not good at debating and expressing my opinions...
    Ha, fair enough. I'm sure just stating what your opinion is will suffice - its not like it is a competition lol :p:.

'Seriously hurt' doesn't say the half of it - testing to destruction is commonplace (inject a chemical until the animal dies to find out what a lethal dose of a drug is). However...

So a lab rat is bred, it grows up, is tested on (which may be unpleasant, though obviously anaesthetics are used if its obviously gonna be painful). You personally (if we split all animals killed in the UK between us) will be responsible for the deaths of, i think its 2 mice, 1 rat, and 1 other animal? can't remember.

Chickens are kept in battery farms, with no space to move, fed ridiculous unhealthy diets, never see sunlight, and are killed just so you can eat them. You personally will be responsible for the deaths of about 200 chickens and the same number of other animals. Do you think that is any better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varciani)
    So do you guys think that we should test our products (either medical or cosmetic) on prisoners given life/death sentences?

This isn't a troll, I honestly think we should.
    Guten Abend, Herr Mengele.

ReputationRep:
    I have this to say on the subject:

Anyone that disagrees with animal testing does not understand it or know enough about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    for the most part no, I think all medical testing is necessary. However for certain cosmetic products I think it is unnessecary. A famous example would be pouring shampoo into rabbits eyes to see how much it hurt them, I understand why it would have to be done with the first few brands but after that it must be quite obvious which chemicals burn the eyes, and so it isn't necessary to do with new brands products unless the chemical formula is radically different which...it never is.
    That's so sad about the rabbits! So defenceless! This is an example of how the testing can be excessively cruel. Also, the testers often just use the cheapest animals, like mice and rats, that are different to humans in many ways. For example, aspirin causes birth defects in rats but not in humans, (random fact, but you can see the point I'm trying to make...how accurate are these tests?) However, I agree that animal testing may be necessary and beneficial sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, fair enough. I'm sure just stating what your opinion is will suffice - its not like it is a competition lol :p:.

'Seriously hurt' doesn't say the half of it - testing to destruction is commonplace (inject a chemical until the animal dies to find out what a lethal dose of a drug is). However...

So a lab rat is bred, it grows up, is tested on (which may be unpleasant, though obviously anaesthetics are used if its obviously gonna be painful). You personally (if we split all animals killed in the UK between us) will be responsible for the deaths of, i think its 2 mice, 1 rat, and 1 other animal? can't remember.

Chickens are kept in battery farms, with no space to move, fed ridiculous unhealthy diets, never see sunlight, and are killed just so you can eat them. You personally will be responsible for the deaths of about 200 chickens and the same number of other animals. Do you think that is any better?
    Im not quite sure if your trying to have an argument or what? :confused:
    But i jus looked at ur profile to see ur at oxford soo im pretty sure i will never out argue u if thats wot u r doing :p:

I wana keep ex-battery hens as pets

ReputationRep:
    Breeding animals, something which cannot consent or understand, and keeping them in contained environments, depriving them of the normal affection (eg, if they were pets instead) to constantly test if something damages them/damaging them to see if they can stop it? How can that not be wrong? They're lives, not rocks to be played with.

BUT i'm aware of the importance of cures, etc, in which case i just wish all the animals are kept in large spaces with enrichment, etc, and everything is done to keep their lives as painless and comfortable as possible. And as daft as it sounds, I hope they get some affection.
    Also, I wish that when they are 'retired' they could get new homes? Instead of just killed. Idk what actually happens when they're done, I'm just guessing.

And tbh, I like the test-on-prisoners idea.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sorafdfs)
    I think testing should be done on criminals who are sentenced to death or life in prison. Obviously it would be beyond politicians to think of something as efficient as that though, human rights and all that - even to those who've had their rights removed!
    Use murderers, rapists, paedophiles and the like to test everything...

(Original post by Varciani)
    So do you guys think that we should test our products (either medical or cosmetic) on prisoners given life/death sentences?

This isn't a troll, I honestly think we should.
    :lolwut:

Even ignoring the moral issues behind such an act, and even ignoring the unimaginable trauma that would cause the lab technicians, the practical problems with restraining a human being, the logistical security issues with moving them about, the need to totally reform every laboratory in the country, the moral issues of the death penalty AND the fact that this process would provide about 10 'subjects' per year,... for most research processes it is simply not possible to use an adult organism. Medical research would have to cease,
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im not quite sure if your trying to have an argument or what? :confused:
    But i jus looked at ur profile to see ur at oxford soo im pretty sure i will never out argue u if thats wot u r doing :p:

I wana keep ex-battery hens as pets
    I'm stating facts/opinions to see what you think! "out argue"? As i said, its not a competition lol. :p:

I hear chickens make excellent pets and become surprisingly attached to their owners :yes: Although battery farmed ones can be difficult - they will be scared of light and open space etc - all the more rewarding when they get over it though!

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Even ignoring the moral issues behind such an act, and even ignoring the unimaginable trauma that would cause the lab technicians, the practical problems with restraining a human being, the logistical security issues with moving them about, the need to totally reform every laboratory in the country, the moral issues of the death penalty AND the fact that this process would provide about 10 'subjects' per year,... for most research processes it is simply not possible to use an adult organism. Medical research would have to cease,
    there are loads of murderers and rapists just sat around on their asses with human rights they dont deserve at the moment...clear the back log first...then start using the new meat

ReputationRep:
    I'm stating facts/opinions to see what you think! "out argue"? As i said, its not a competition lol. :p:

I hear chickens make excellent pets and become surprisingly attached to their owners :yes: Although battery farmed ones can be difficult - they will be scared of light and open space etc - all the more rewarding when they get over it though!
    lol, with me its always a competition :p:

I cant have any till im older, my dad wont allow it.
    Besides, ill be in uni next year so there would be no point :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Use murderers, rapists, paedophiles and the like to test everything...

Except kill us you mean?

Although, I'm up for your idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocious)
    yes absolutely

why cant we just use consenting humans
    Would you volunteer to test drugs that hadn't even been tried on animals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    Moral for the testing of medicine, immoral for the testing of cosmetics
    Isn't it illegal to test cosmetics on them now?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.