Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    agree to medical testing, you won't want to give a drug to a human without know what it could do, if it ends up killing or making them very ill, plus a lot of test have been carried out on animal and some great things have been discover, genetics wise as well, stuff you can't do on human cos people are against it, and results will just to damn long to find out about, glow in the dark mice was one test comes to mind

cosmetics i'm a bit indifferent on, at the say time you don't want to test on humans, or place it in shops, without knowing what its going to do to people, will it do nothing, will it cause a rash, so on

but i do agree with the fact that animals should be treated right even for testing, looked after 100%, and should only be done if it is really needed, these only so much you can find out from dead animal be them human or not, in some forms it needed

in some form its the same as the food industry, and how animals are kept in that before they are slaughter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    there are loads of murderers and rapists just sat around on their asses with human rights they dont deserve at the moment...clear the back log first...then start using the new meat
    Something like 2 million animals are used each year. By my calculation if 10,000 prisoners could be provided they would be enough for about 2 days. God this is morbid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    lol, with me its always a competition :p:

I cant have any till im older, my dad wont allow it.
    Besides, ill be in uni next year so there would be no point :cry:
    Free eggs?

ReputationRep:
    I don't use cosmetics that have been tested on animals, however I would not turn down a life saving drug because it had been tested on animals in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I'll throw an interesting question in there for you guys. Do you agree with animal testing for drugs that are going to be used for veterinary purposes? Or does that still count as running tests on animals without their consent, even though it leads to improvements to other animals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Free eggs?
    Lol :awesome:
    If only i could sneak a chicken into halls...

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Tinks_)
    when there are methods such as using human stem cells/skin samples and computer models there's less of a need for it.

And the way a lot of the animals are treated is just plain cruelty =(
    Ah good, more people commenting on things they are ignorant in- brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    I have this to say on the subject:

Anyone that disagrees with animal testing does not understand it or know enough about it.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    Would you volunteer to test drugs that hadn't even been tried on animals?
    i wouldn't but there are lots of desperate people in horrible situations that can be taken advantage of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocious)
    i wouldn't but there are lots of desperate people in horrible situations that can be taken advantage of
    thats a bit unfair, so you putting a risk of a human life over a animals life

ReputationRep:
    We should offer free, untested drugs to people in the third world who couldn't afford medecine otherwise. If they're desperate enough, they won't mind that it could be really damaging. Plus, it's the only way we'd ever really discover problems such as birth defects, as most women wouldn't endanger their child like that unless they had no other choice.

(I'm not being serious, btw. I'm actually sickened that people on here think that torturing humans is a lesser evil than killing a lab rat.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    Lol :awesome:
    If only i could sneak a chicken into halls...

:ninja:
    No one will notice the chickens due to the panthers you also brought.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against testing, I'd just rather see Ian Huntley being tested on instead of bunnies and puppies. Sorry for being a soulless *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    I'll throw an interesting question in there for you guys. Do you agree with animal testing for drugs that are going to be used for veterinary purposes? Or does that still count as running tests on animals without their consent, even though it leads to improvements to other animals?
    In practice such research does not exist - as we use animals for human drug testing anyway, they undoubtedly have a larger selection of useful drugs than we do. However, in principle, its an interesting idea. I think you would have to be passive about it and only test it on animals that had the target disease anyway rather than inducing it, as we do for human drug testing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I think you would have to be passive about it and only test it on animals that had the target disease anyway rather than inducing it, as we do for human drug testing.
    Ahh, but you see, would the animal be able to give consent to it, even if the drug had a chance of helping said disease? Humans have to go through floods of consent paperwork before they're enrolled on the clinical trials (well, maybe not floods, but certainly more than the animals).

ReputationRep:
    i think they should be tested on murderers and extreme pedos...... personally i dont see it a problem as long as the animals arent harmed...... and i think its ok to use animals for fur as long as theyre bred and killed in a humane way

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would stop bandying around emotive words like "torture". Partly because they detract from any useful debate, and try and cast aspersions which are frankly false. The animals used in research are some of the best cared for in the world, they're far better looked after than 99% of domestic pets are.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the rep Anon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Yeah! Cos normal pedos deserve another chance!
    oh yeah soz thats what i meant but all pedos are extreme anyways

ReputationRep:
    oh please !
    I don't need a biology lesson about all the ethical issues in the world now after i've done my Edexcel crappy AS biology exam

ReputationRep:
    Only for medical research; none of this maybelline *****.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.