Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well it's nearly time to apply for uni (2010 entry) and I just want a little something extra on my personal statement.

What book(s) would you suggest I read over the summer?

I went on amazon, typed in Chemistry and the first book I found was: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/p...266239&s=books

What do you think?

(btw this might NOT be the right forum to post in so just move it if it's wrong :tongue:)

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for chemistry..?

ReputationRep:
    At this moment in time, yes I am thinking of applying for Chemistry.

Unless I change my mind in August when I see my results xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    Well it's nearly time to apply for uni (2010 entry) and I just want a little something extra on my personal statement.

What book(s) would you suggest I read over the summer?

I went on amazon, typed in Chemistry and the first book I found was: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/p...266239&s=books

What do you think?

(btw this might NOT be the right forum to post in so just move it if it's wrong :tongue:)
    You'll definitely need that book at some point if you're doing chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! OP, I am in the exact same situation as you [I am applying for Natural Science at Cambridge]

ReputationRep:
    Also, http://www.cam.ac.uk/about/natscitripos/prospectus/reading.html may help you. The books suggested are Why Chemical Reactions Happen and Molecules, and something on organic chem would be good too - but I wouldn't spend 40 quid on a book! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    lol claydon is a little heavy - for just the application sake I'd recommend ''Why Chemical Reactions Happen''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    lol claydon is a little heavy - for just the application sake I'd recommend ''Why Chemical Reactions Happen''
    Is that the one by james keeler?

ReputationRep:
    From what i've read so far of why chemical reactions happen it's really good and isn't too tricky (although I found myself having to read some parts a few times for it actually to go in)

ReputationRep:
    Is that the one by james keeler?
    and Wothers :yep:

ReputationRep:
    At this moment in time, yes I am thinking of applying for Chemistry.

Unless I change my mind in August when I see my results xD
    Then im kinda in the same situation... i think im guna ask the uni that i wana go to what books are needed for the 1st year and then ill get them for over the summer

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    Then im kinda in the same situation... i think im guna ask the uni that i wana go to what books are needed for the 1st year and then ill get them for over the summer
    I'd advise you to wait on book buying until you get there, you may find that you won't need some of the texts which are recommended much. It's likely you will get them cheaper through others selling off their old copies too

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise you to wait on book buying until you get there, you may find that you won't need some of the texts which are recommended much. It's likely you will get them cheaper through others selling off their old copies too
    But that way i can bum off my parents lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    But that way i can bum off my parents lol :p:
    Ah, well there is that I suppose :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, well there is that I suppose :p:
    Clayden is not that heavy tbh (unless you mean physically heavy, as in, the weight of the book? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xang Lee)
    Clayden is not that heavy tbh (unless you mean physically heavy, as in, the weight of the book? )
    It's pretty heavy for someone who has just finished their AS-levels, a 1000+ page book doesn't really qualify as ''reading around the subject'' :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty heavy for someone who has just finished their AS-levels, a 1000+ page book doesn't really qualify as ''reading around the subject'' :p:
    I would borrow what you can from your county library, If you havn't done it before on mine just go to their website mines lancashire
    and you'll find "your catalogue" or something similar and you can search their entire collection and have it sent (i.e. reserve) to your local library and pick it up for 50p charge. saves you from spending your money.well more money than you have to.

as to what book there are three main undergrad text book for each of inorganic, organic and physical chemistry, their on another post on this section , and then theres the oxford chemistry primers, see what you can borrow from library.

(Original post by Xang Lee)
    The physical weight of it is, indirectly, an important issue. Reading 1000 pages of concentrated organic chemistry before you even get to university would probably be overkill, and might well put you off chemistry for life. It's just too comprehensive.

ReputationRep:
    If your looking for something based on chemistry where your reading around the subject, it might be good not to read a textbook - so its something a little different from your school work. I went to a lecture by John Emsley, fell in love, and read his book called Elements of Murder. He has others too, that incorperate chemistry into real subjects, and theyre well written too.

I wrote about it in my PS and all of my interviews involved them asking what I thought, and all seemed interests/ liked the change from just textbook readers. It just makes you a bit different.

Good Luck with applying!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.