Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so maybe i'm weird but for some reason i'm afraid of change and the future i guess it's part of not knowing whats out there and what i'll do if the people i rely on so much now (and probably take for granted) are not there. Am i the only person who feels like this:confused: and if you have had a major change in your life how did you cope? thanks x

ReputationRep:
    aww that sucks OP

one of the biggest changes in my life was after having my breakdown and coming through the other end of it, uprooting and going off to university.

university is a big step for anyone to take and it is the first time you usually have to be completely independent and live your own life, do your own washing, cooking and cleaning. you cope with things and you sometimes have to jsut take each challenge as it comes.

life has no direct routes and thigns always change and you jsut have to adapt to go with it unless you really want to fight the flow, this can usually be a waste of time because you ahve to go with the flow eventually.

Yeah, I ony carry around notes.

Sorry, that wasn't nice of me, considering your very serious topic.

I'm sure you're not the only one OP, we all get that feeling a little at one point! Just know things will turn out ok! :thumbsup: Stay positive! :top:

ReputationRep:
    YES!
    People change
    I can't catch up!

And the future scares me too

ReputationRep:
    I guess my life at the moment is pretty good so I'm afraid it might change for the worse. I'm going to a different sixth form next year which is slightly scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy_Ki)
    Hi, so maybe i'm weird but for some reason i'm afraid of change and the future i guess it's part of not knowing whats out there and what i'll do if the people i rely on so much now (and probably take for granted) are not there. Am i the only person who feels like this:confused: and if you have had a major change in your life how did you cope? thanks x
    i'm aware of change but i'm not afraid of it. change to me is something that offers new chances, new opportunity. even in the most (initially) depressing situation; a door may close but a window of opportunity always opens up.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I don't like change at all. I've been described like 'a dog with a bone' so even if I know the change will be beneficial I try to avoid it, just because I don't like change.

ReputationRep:
    I hate growing older :*

ReputationRep:
    I've had some massive changes within my life involving divorce, remarriage, divorce and moving in with the other parent. I think a big part of the coping process is knowing that you have to make yourself cope and I always try to look to the future rather than what's going on at that precise point of time. That's just my way though and everyone copes in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    Well I had a pretty big change in my life when my mother died, I had to give up my dogs and lost contact with her fiancee (who was awesome), and had to live with my grandparents a few miles away.
    ****** things up for me a good bit, but somehow I pushed it all to the back of my mind and got on with my life...
    Not saying that's the best way to deal with things, though! :P

ReputationRep:
    Future economists like me can predict the future :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, getting older sucks.
    We're just getting closer and closer to dying.
    Oh well, I'm going swimming tomorrow!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm fond of change, especially the unpredictable. Routine can get quite boring.

ReputationRep:
    Yh i hate change so much. I just want to be a kid forever. The thought of going to uni, getting a job and being responsible is very scary prospects

ReputationRep:
    If you always fear that change will bring the worst you'll end up assuming the negatives before you have a chance to notice the progress that such change usually brings.

And besides, if you think about it - would you really want to be at school/uni for ever? Change might seem a major departure from everything you know now, but remember the cycle will just eventually repeat itself, so best not to worry every time it happens.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No, I love change. There's nothing more boring than having the same old routine for years on end.

My problem is the opposite. I'm never happy with where I am, always looking forward to the next stage in my life...

ReputationRep:
    You're not the only one, believe me! I'm pretty much the same - or at least I used to be.

I just try and make the best out of every situation.

E.g. most change you can't control, it's just going to happen. So there's no point dwelling on the fact that you don't want it, or trying to resist it as it's natural and you need it to progress in life.

Just embrace the positives of the change and look for the best in every situation.

Uni for example was a massive uprooting and fresh start. It was terrifying as I knew no one, as with most people when they go to Uni, but I've ended up having a wonderful year and making some lifelong friends out of it.

The future is terrifying and of course you don't know what is out there - negative things are the first things we think of. But think of all the positives out there too, there are some amazing things waiting for you I'm sure

Not every change is going to be for the best or be something you want but if there's nothing you can do, why waste time worrying about it?

My grandad dying was a major change for me, and especially as it was unexpected it was incredibly hard to deal with. To this day it tears me up but there's literally nothing I can do to bring him back, and I'm sure wherever he is, he knows that I miss him every minute of every day. But for me to grieve all the time would not do me or him any good, and everyone dies, it's just one of those things. So with that I tend to push it to the back of my mind and try not to think about it, as hard as it is.

If all else fails, a cup of tea seems to cure most things

ReputationRep:
    Yep, been through some pretty big changes, some quite recently in fact.

It's harsh, but sometimes these big changes need to come along to motivate us. Sometimes we get so stuck in our comfort zones that we're not performing at our best. So sometimes these massive life-shattering changes come along to put everything back into perspective and get us moving again.

A cosmic kick up the ass, so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I hate change. Had a massive change in my life and never adapted and am now seeing the crappy consequences of it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.