Turn on thread page Beta

Subjects which require less private study time? watch

ReputationRep:
    My course has tons of extra reading and private study - so for one of my options I'd like to do something which has very little private study time (but not a science subject). Any suggestions? :p:

ReputationRep:
    this question makes no sense? 'one of your options'? surely to decide which of your electives you should take, you'd need to supply us with a list of them?

or if you just want a non-reading course, why don't you skip uni all together? surely it's better to do a course you're interested in, and willing to put the effort in for, rather than whatever was easiest? not trying to sound *****y but if you can't decide a subject, and the lowest word load is your deciding factor, you may want to look into alternative routes of gaining an extra qualification/something else to do with your life, as you don't really sound all that dedicated?

ReputationRep:
    french

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohaidani)
    this question makes no sense? 'one of your options'? surely to decide which of your electives you should take, you'd need to supply us with a list of them?

or if you just want a non-reading course, why don't you skip uni all together? surely it's better to do a course you're interested in, and willing to put the effort in for, rather than whatever was easiest? not trying to sound *****y but if you can't decide a subject, and the lowest word load is your deciding factor, you may want to look into alternative routes of gaining an extra qualification/something else to do with your life, as you don't really sound all that dedicated?
    I think theres a possibility that you may have mis-understood what the OP meant. I cant be sure myself, but im assuming that they were talking about suplimentary subjects. They are such that in some cases (especially in first year) you can choose a suplimentary subject to take a module in as part of your degree. This additional module then contributes to your over all credits for the year.

So if you were studying english for example, you could take 1 module in another subject such as french if you so wished.

I think they were just asking about suplimentaries that dont require too much reading, rather than what module or degree as a whole is a doss.

ReputationRep:
    Chavology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    I think theres a possibility that you may have mis-understood what the OP meant. I cant be sure myself, but im assuming that they were talking about suplimentary subjects. They are such that in some cases (especially in first year) you can choose a suplimentary subject to take a module in as part of your degree. This additional module then contributes to your over all credits for the year.

So if you were studying english for example, you could take 1 module in another subject such as french if you so wished.

I think they were just asking about suplimentaries that dont require too much reading, rather than what module or degree as a whole is a doss.
    This is what I meant.

Any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with above: Languages are very good, maths are good too.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have thought that languages would have quite a lot of private study, like culture/history/literature modules required on language degrees? I'd also have thought that they'd require extra practice outside lectures/classes to develop language skills.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For what level of course are we talking? Something like an Introductory to Economic Principles wouldn't require much extra reading or private study; but it really depends on the depth of the module.

To be quite honest though, you're at university, and pretty much any subject - even if there are lots of contact hours - will require a huge amount of independent reading and study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)

ah i see. i thought it could be that but, surely your supplementary subjects are dictated by your actual subject? :/ like you couldn't take law and...astrophysics but law and ancient history might be available, so i assumed that if this was the case they'd provide some indicator of what to do!

but fair enough i suppose, i guess it provides more hope for the OP if they're asking for extras with less reading as opposed to deciding their ACTUAL course on that basis! D:

ReputationRep:
    Best taking a subject that interests you.
    That way it's a little more fun to study, as I doubt the work load is much different across the board.
    I chose religion
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ohaidani)
    ah i see. i thought it could be that but, surely your supplementary subjects are dictated by your actual subject? :/ like you couldn't take law and...astrophysics but law and ancient history might be available, so i assumed that if this was the case they'd provide some indicator of what to do!
    Your elective can be in anything you want, providing you fulfil the entry requirements and also you have no timetable clash. If your main course was Law, you could take Astrophysics electives in the first year providing you had the requirements for those modules (which in the first year would be A-Level Maths and A-Level Physics).

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.