The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm guessing a fourth to at least AS is expected. May Econ/Eng Lit?
Reply 2
i dunno but you might as well just do

history
2nd arts subject (say english lit or something)
bio
psych

i mean it's not like 4 a levels is gonna push you if you're going for oxford
What about a subject like English or Classics?
Reply 4
AAA is all you need
pick philosophy if possible uni's like that & economics
English will certainly put you in the top...well if you get all A's that is
Can you REALISTICALLY get to Oxford? i.e not in dreams, etc just by good old fashioned hardwork first?
Worry about which Uni's to choose when you get your predicted grades for the UCAS form etc, for now just work.
I'd pick;

History
English Lit
Economics
Psychology

For AS's then when you go on to A2's you can decide wether to drop one or not, preferably if your gonna drop one drop Psychology as it's not as "respected" by Universities as the others.
This table (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/table.html) would suggest that that subject combination would be OK. Lrilol is right that a fourth subject to AS would usually be expected though.

Subjects that might go better with History A2 would be English Lit, Philosophy and/or a language (classical or modern) :smile:

This thread will hopefully get moved to the Oxford forum soon, which will attract the attention of current History students :smile:
Carter.
AAA is all you need
pick philosophy if possible uni's like that & economics
English will certainly put you in the top...well if you get all A's that is

Not exactly, A Level grades are only one bit of the application:
http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosundergrad/applying/selection_criteria.htm

:smile:
Reply 8
I'd say you'd want English lit (or another essay subject) to AS at least in addition to that. Other than that it's fine.
Reply 9
Politics/ Goverment and Politics combines well with History?
Reply 10
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not exactly, A Level grades are only one bit of the application:
http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosundergrad/applying/selection_criteria.htm

:smile:

They are the most essential though
Without 3A's or 2A's & a B they wouldn't look twice at your application tbh
Carter.
They are the most essential though
Without 3A's or 2A's & a B they wouldn't look twice at your application tbh

Probably not, no. I'd still say there are other factors that are more important, though, especially once you've got to the interview stage :smile:
Reply 12
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Probably not, no. I'd still say there are other factors that are more important, though, especially once you've got to the interview stage :smile:

Yea, a friend of mine got into Oxford to study Physics, but he himself admitted the interview was gruelling. They asked him maths and physics related questions that he was unprepared for yet he still aced it.
Plus your personal statement has to be on POINT!
For what it's worth, a historian friend of mine at Oxford took History, Economics, Geography and English Literature at A-level. History, Biology and Psychology should be fine, but you might want to consider either dropping Psychology and replacing it with an arts subject (such as English) or maybe doing English AS or A-level in addition to the others.
Reply 14
I'd definitely add another arts subject, if you can; I don't think I would have found Economics as useful as English Lit, but it's up to you. That said, doing so would probably be more useful in helping you up your technique for historical source evaluation/analysis than in simply improving your UCAS application. Speaking from personal experience, anyway: I did History, English Lit and two MFLs for A2, and all my subjects cross-fertilised to some extent.

Latest

Trending

Trending