Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When do you tell your parents you are in a relationship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been in a relationship for a long time (almost 4 years) I really want to tell my mum but because she thinks I am young and should be concentrating on education I shouldn't be in a relationship and she is also the kind of parent that thinks her kid is a virgin unless they are married.
    So at what point (as in when you started dating or when it got serious) did you tell your parents about your relationship?

I am mostly interested in hearing from people who have asian parents cos we all know how strict they can be lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I told them straight away, but then again I don't have asian parents and I know what some of them (not all!) can be like based on my friends' experiences.

ReputationRep:
    if we're not just shagging, i'll mention it to them.

ReputationRep:
    When I started talking to him over MSN and I first fancied him. Then I told them he asked me out, and that's it :P

ReputationRep:
    After they've stayed over a few times and it's pretty obvious we're not just watching movies all night (I do actually have friends over for movie nights sometimes when either of us has a few films the other wants to see) they kinda catch on...

ReputationRep:
    Invite my parents into a room where my girlfriend and I are located then HAVE SEX RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACE!!!!

ReputationRep:
    My current boyfriend invited himself round (in a casual and very hot way might i jus add :p:)
    whilst we were still in the "seeing each other" stage.
    Then my parents assumed that we were a proper couple, and it was actually that evening, once he was leaving, that we became a "couple"

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I don't. If they ever found out, then they'd instantly consider me as a 'stain' to the Indian community. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    When you're ready to tell them , if you're not ready it could ruin your relationship.

ReputationRep:
    My mum doesn't find out from me...

I was supposed to be going to a party with some guy mate who she'd never met before and we argued so didn't go, then my mum came up to my room and gave me a big speech about 'there's plenty more fish in the sea'

My current boyfriend she didn't know about till my sister was like 'eww you're going out with a ginger...' saying that, his mum assumed we were going out as soon as she saw us together!

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame how forceful some Indian parents are on their children.
    With me, it's not that my family would care - but I find it particularly awkward telling them I have a girlfriend.
    Not really sure why to be honest, it's probably just an immature thing though

ReputationRep:
    i dont tell them, they tell me aha

ReputationRep:
    I don't offically say it but they take the hint if I say I'm going out with him alot etc etc
    Only mention them if we have been out a few times though, not the first time

ReputationRep:
    When shes pregnant :redface:

ReputationRep:
    I have been with my boyfriend for nearly 4 years now. He's mixed (french, irish and saudi arabia) and am nigerian, so you could imagine the shock on my parents face when i introduced him as my friend and then later said we were "special friend". The first thing my mother said to me is that i should remember that it is a sin for any man that is not my husband to see my nakedness ( i don't know who was more shocked me or him). Ahhh God bless my mother

ReputationRep:
    I don't talk to my parents, let alone about my personal life. They only found out because they read my texts :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    when you've been with him for years then i do think it's right to tell your parents, or at lest your mother. you don't have to put it in a "we're a couple" way, but rather in a 'close friends' way, so your mother can deal with it better. make sure you tell her you won't forget about your education and he has no influence on that. if she wants, you should introduce him over a cup of coffe at home, but prepare him well. just make sure you get across how much of a honorable nice guy he is, and how innocent your relationship is.
    i don't know how strict your parents are, but if they are nice, it's in most cases just that your parents want a concept that fits with their beliefs. keep in mind they only want your best, so make sure they don't see him as a threat to your reputation or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhea2425)
    I have been with my boyfriend for nearly 4 years now. He's mixed (french, irish and saudi arabia) and am nigerian, so you could imagine the shock on my parents face when i introduced him as my friend and then later said we were "special friend". The first thing my mother said to me is that i should remember that it is a sin for any man that is not my husband to see my nakedness ( i don't know who was more shocked me or him). Ahhh God bless my mother
    LMAO hahahahah

ReputationRep:
    I dont tend to tell them, my sister does!!

ReputationRep:
    ouuch, pina. Have some love.
    My parents are actually fairly liberal for indian parents, in that they said I could date once I turned 18 - I started dating about 16, and they found out about my first boyfriend when my uncle read one of my emails to my cousin (she had her own boyfriend drama and her dad hacked into her account - long story in itself), and then rang up my parents and all hell sorta broke loose for a few days.
    These days I manage to tell my mother in some form of not-too-embarrassing way and she tells Dad.

Apart from the occasional lecture on how I shjouldn't let my emotions or hormones get away with me, and how I need to respect my culture and religion even if I don't currently see the point in it, they leave me be, to be honest. And they've been lovely if I go to them after having almighty fights with an ex or something.

So you know, Asian parents. Not all bad

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.