Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently trying to decide which order to put the unis in for my PGCE application.

I will definitely apply to Birmingham, Newman, Warwick and Wolverhampton but I can't decide which order so I was wondering if anyone has done a PGCE at any of these places and could give some comments?

I am leaning towards putting Bham first at the moment, as it has a good reputation and will also be easiest for me to get to!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you'll have to, but my English teacher did his PGCE there and he said it was the toughest thing he'd ever done because of going out to work in schools- he found it very hard to cope in some of them, though I'm sure you've already thought of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MewMachine)
    I don't know if you'll have to, but my English teacher did his PGCE there and he said it was the toughest thing he'd ever done because of going out to work in schools- he found it very hard to cope in some of them, though I'm sure you've already thought of that
    Well you have to do placements in any PGCE so that doesn't really make any difference! Thanks though.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea where you might like to work once you're qualified. I was thinking if you know that, then you might want to put the first choice closest to where you want to teach, so you could have a look at a couple of schools in that area while you're doing your placements. Having said that, yours aren't all that far away from each other (in the same general region at least) - personally I don't have a clue where I'm applying to yet, apart from Warwick perhaps as they do a maths with physics PGCE that I'd be interested in.

ReputationRep:
    B'ham & Newman will use schools in the same area - across the whole of B'ham. It doesn't really haven anything to do with what the above poster said (about thinking where you'd like to work) because you're only going to get to be in 3 schools anyway... and I assume there are hundreds in B'ham! Warwick will be using Coventry schools and Wolves will use Wolves schools. None will be able to give you any placement schools out of their catchment areas so pick where you want to live, because you don't want to be doing hardcore travelling to any placements or the unis.

Anyway... I don't think it matters what order you put them in, it's just like UCAS. And at the end of the day you might not even get into your 'first choice' anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    B'ham & Newman will use schools in the same area - across the whole of B'ham. It doesn't really haven anything to do with what the above poster said (about thinking where you'd like to work) because you're only going to get to be in 3 schools anyway... and I assume there are hundreds in B'ham! Warwick will be using Coventry schools and Wolves will use Wolves schools. None will be able to give you any placement schools out of their catchment areas so pick where you want to live, because you don't want to be doing hardcore travelling to any placements or the unis.

Anyway... I don't think it matters what order you put them in, it's just like UCAS. And at the end of the day you might not even get into your 'first choice' anyway.
    Pretty sure I've heard at least once that you put them in order then they send it to each one separately, so if you don't get into your first choice, they send it to your second and so on.

In fact, http://www.gttr.ac.uk/students/after...ourapplication - second paragraph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -G-a-v-)
    Pretty sure I've heard at least once that you put them in order then they send it to each one separately, so if you don't get into your first choice, they send it to your second and so on.

In fact, http://www.gttr.ac.uk/students/after...ourapplication - second paragraph
    Yup this is it, you have to put them in order of preference, which is why im stuck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisaanne)
    Yup this is it, you have to put them in order of preference, which is why im stuck!
    Yeah its a tricky one, with UCAS I just picked unis that I liked the look of from prospectuses, then went to visit them before deciding which ones I liked the most.

Part of me wants to stay in Manchester, but part of me also wants a change of scene. Also, I've not looked at many other unis apart from Keele and Warwick and perhaps Kings in London. It's a tricky one - would there be any possibility of you visiting the unis before you apply?

ReputationRep:

Oh I didn't know that. That is seriously rubbish man! I only put one down & you can only pick a max of 2 for primary anyway I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Oh I didn't know that. That is seriously rubbish man! I only put one down & you can only pick a max of 2 for primary anyway I think.
    Yeah it makes it much harder really. I'm not sure how many you can apply to for secondary - I really need to start researching this properly :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it makes it much harder really. I'm not sure how many you can apply to for secondary - I really need to start researching this properly :p:
    you get four choices for secondary gav. I might be able to visit beforehand, but there arent any postgrad open days until december which is a bit silly, so i might just go to an undergrad one in september.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisaanne)
    you get four choices for secondary gav. I might be able to visit beforehand, but there arent any postgrad open days until december which is a bit silly, so i might just go to an undergrad one in september.
    Ah that makes it much easier then, I'm fairly sure I can pick 4 unis, but not so much going with my own theory about training where you want to work haha, but I know one uni pretty well and the other vaguely well (Manchester and Keele), then there's a few more I've checked out online.

ReputationRep:
    i would go for Birmingham. I went to Newman, it was friendly and intimate, but rather disorganised, I felt. As you say, it's closer to you as well. Put Newman second, I reckon. Warwick is very good, Warwick is very good, but your placements maybe well out of area.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I think it's 4 for secondary too.

I am under the impression that most PGCEs will be the same pretty much anywhere, 'cos you're guna spend half of it on placement in schools anyway & it's passing these that count.

My advice is to go for the city/area you want to live in, please don't view it as where you want to work. Unless you specifically want for example experience with EAL kids, so then you should go for the uni that uses the schools in ethnic communities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.