Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I don't really eat healthy things but I've been asked to bring a salad to this gathering as my contribution. What do I put in it? I don't know which vegetables go together. I think spring onions, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots are the kind of things on the table (with lettuce obv), but what is a good combination?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anything really! Have a look at this site for some idea http://www.salad-recipes.co.uk/recipes/index.all.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Anything. Lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, onions, carrots, olives..........

ReputationRep:
    Get a bag of mixed leaves instead of lettuce. They usually have baby spinach leaves, lambs lettuce, rocket, watercress etc in it, much nicer than lettuce

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget croutons. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Isn't a salad just a bowl of plants with some mayo on it?

ReputationRep:
    Peppers!!

I find lettuce, mixed peppers, cucumber and cherry tomatoes makes a nice salad =)

ReputationRep:
    I like making exciting salads, but for a gathering you just need a boring one that wont "offend" anyone, so i'd do:

iceberg lettuce
    cucumber
    cherry tomatoes
    grated carrot
    spring onion
    pepper

ReputationRep:
    Can a salad "offend" someone? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Try baby spinach with cherry tomatoes, strawberries, feta cheese, chopped walnuts and a blue cheese dressing.... mmmm....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .x.jen.x.)
    I like making exciting salads, but for a gathering you just need a boring one that wont "offend" anyone, so i'd do:

iceberg lettuce
    cucumber
    cherry tomatoes
    grated carrot
    spring onion
    pepper
    This. Then add a squirt of lemon juice, some olive oil and oregano. Also possibly some olives. If you use red and yellow peppers it will look ten times better than using green ones.

ReputationRep:
    My personal favourite, Greek salad:

- 1 standard block of feta, chopped into cubes, rolled in oregano
    - black olives in brine (personal preference, any black olive would do)
    - red onion, diced
    - cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
    - cucumber, roughly chopped
    - lettuce
    - olive oil and balsamic vinegar (1:1)
    - a handful of basil leaves

Another more simple cherry tomato salad:

- halved cherry tomatoes
    - diced red onion
    - balsamic vinegar and olive oil (2:1)
    - basil leaves

Quantities are really fairly straight forward, i.e. use as much as you want :P
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    Isn't a salad just a bowl of plants with some mayo on it?
    Mayo on a salad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    Another more simple cherry tomato salad:

- halved cherry tomatoes
    - diced red onion
    - balsamic vinegar and olive oil (2:1)
    - basil leaves

Quantities are really fairly straight forward, i.e. use as much as you want :P
    I usually add mozzarella to that...

But if you really don't know how to make a salad, stick to the Greek one - you really can't go wrong.

And don't forget to sprinkle some salt!!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Mayo on a salad?
    Teenage boy's cooking... what'd you expect? :p:

mmmmmm fooooodddddddd.

nomomomomom.

ReputationRep:
    Lettuce, spinach, grated carrots, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, green olives, beetroot, sweetcorn, bean sprouts.

Then other stuff like feta cheese, tofu, croutons, mozzarella, falafel.

Basic salad dressing - olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Mmmmm I really want some salad.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by DAFOne)
    Teenage boy's cooking... what'd you expect?
    Salad dressing doesn't require any more effort. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Veg -a- Table

ReputationRep:
    Base - Lettuce or mixed leaves. Iceberg lettuce can sometimes be a little bland in salads, but lettuces such as romaine and little gem keep well and have a nice crunchy taste. Or you could use a mix of watercress, rocket and spinach leaves.

Vegetables - tomatoes quartered (plum ones tend to be the safest best - and you definitely need salt and pepper on tomatoes, as they can often be watery and tasteless), cucumber (little quarter chunks), then whatever you fancy - celery, pepper (little orange peppers are especially nice in salads), tinned sweetcorn, steamed asparagus, black or green olives, steamed fine beans, pickled beetroot.

You could add feta cheese, or goats' cheese, or walnuts, depending on what kind of salad you're going for.

Dressing - A pretty easy dressing is wholegrain mustard mixed with a little olive oil, some lemon juice and sme balsamic vinegar or balsamic dressing.

Oo I forgot! You SO need basil leaves. Lots of them. Maybe some mint and parsley too. But definitely basil.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.