Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if you have no extra currics means you have next to no chance at any decent firms whatsoever?

I worked throughout my first year and commuted 90 minutes to uni which made it difficult to participate in societies etc.

I do have an online business but no real sports or hobby achievements :o:

ReputationRep:
    Well there you go, your work and your online business are extra currics!

With me, I haven't done any extra curriculars at all during my time in school, so I'm frantically taking things up next year to put them on my university application form... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Compared to those that are the president of a society, volunteer, do mooting, play on a sports team etc it feels like I do nothing

ReputationRep:
    Law firms don't have this list of extra curriculars they want to see. What they want to see is certain skills and characteristics. For the average university student with no career history the best way to show these skills have been developed is to point to examples from their extra curricular activities, but that is not to say that you can't demonstrate them in other ways. Jobs always go down well and running your own business could show a lot of useful skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confectionary)
    Compared to those that are the president of a society, volunteer, do mooting, play on a sports team etc it feels like I do nothing
    Emmings is absolutely spot on.

Law firms aren't looking for extra-currics themselves, they are looking for evidence of the skills/abilities which are necessary for a potential lawyer. As Emmings points out, most applicants are in the middle of uni and fresh from school so the evidence of those skills etc has to come from the activities which they've been involved in during their time at those institutions.

Firms aren't looking for rugby players, they're looking for people who have had experience of working successfully in teams. They're not looking for students with an in-depth knowledge of Peru, they're looking for people who have a degree of independence and initiative. They're not looking for Treasurers of the Kayaking society, they're looking for applicants who have had a leadership role and taken responsibility for things.

It's for this reason that some applicants come unstuck by simply listing their extra-currics as though, miraculously, recruiters will understand what sort of person they are and what skills they have. It doesn't work that way - you need to explain what abilities you have.

Likewise, if your experiences to date are outside the usual school/uni clubs, sports and travel etc then that's OK provided you can show you have developed the necessary skills through other means. What you should do is sit down and work out what skills you think a lawyer needs and then see how you can demonstrate each of those by reference to what you've done to date.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.