The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You shouldnt use washing up liquid on cars, as they contain salts, and strip of wax coatings which protect the paintwork. Even cheap car shampoo is better than that.
Also, its important to wash bird poo off the paintwork as quickly as possible (ideally within hours) as it easts into the clearcoat and can easily do lasting damage, especially to darker colours.
Hope that helps for a start :smile:
Reply 2
Cillit Bang
Reply 3
cRaig
You shouldnt use washing up liquid on cars, as they contain salts, and strip of wax coatings which protect the paintwork. Even cheap car shampoo is better than that.
Also, its important to wash bird poo off the paintwork as quickly as possible (ideally within hours) as it easts into the clearcoat and can easily do lasting damage, especially to darker colours.
Hope that helps for a start :smile:

Luckily it's on the windows but thank you for that :smile:

Kinsula
Cillit Bang

Not sure we have any of that downstairs but I'll keep it in mind :smile:
Reply 4
baby wipes are brilliant.

do not use a washing up sponge.

you can get some pretty good car wash shampoo from lots of places. it's worth spending that little bit extra to look after your car, but it doesn't have to cost the world.

get a good car washing sponge, a bucket, a rag to dry off, a micro fibre cloth to give it shine, and some turtle wax to make it really shine. other than that, some multi purpose cloths from asda (like, £1 for 12) will always be handy.
Reply 5
pumpkin7
baby wipes are brilliant.

do not use a washing up sponge.

you can get some pretty good car wash shampoo from lots of places. it's worth spending that little bit extra to look after your car, but it doesn't have to cost the world.

get a good car washing sponge, a bucket, a rag to dry off, a micro fibre cloth to give it shine, and some turtle wax to make it really shine. other than that, some multi purpose cloths from asda (like, £1 for 12) will always be handy.

Thanks for the turtle wax tip, is wax the same as polish or should I maybe get some of that too?
Reply 6
I've used washing up liquid in the past when i havent had any shampoo. Although, i did make a point of putting a good coat of polish on afterwards.

I don't tend to wash my car to be honest... just give her a wipe down with some cheap panel wipe.
Reply 7
dont use washing up liquid! i used it on my dads car once and he nearly kicked me out of the house lmao, i think he loved that car more than me...
Reply 8
JC.
I've used washing up liquid in the past when i havent had any shampoo. Although, i did make a point of putting a good coat of polish on afterwards.

I don't tend to wash my car to be honest... just give her a wipe down with some cheap panel wipe.

Is that shampoo as in hair shampoo? Would that be the next best thing to proper car stuff?

I should probably make a list of things I need!
Reply 9
Cy4nide
Thanks for the turtle wax tip, is wax the same as polish or should I maybe get some of that too?

they are different, but i couldn't tell you how... lol. i only use polish.
Reply 10
Cy4nide
Is that shampoo as in hair shampoo? Would that be the next best thing to proper car stuff?

I should probably make a list of things I need!

Car shampoo, mate...

Some 70's cars did have fur interiors, though... wonder if they got dandruff? LOL!!!
Reply 11
Cy4nide
Not sure we have any of that downstairs but I'll keep it in mind :smile:

Hmm, on second thought I'd be wary about using stuff like that... it might do the job, but you never know what it'll do to the paintwork :s-smilie:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&mpe_id=62853&cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-SC+Carousel+143456-_-PRODCAT_ESPOTCAROUSEL_165731-_-Turtlewax+9+Piece+Bucket+Set&intv_id=116593&partNumber=143456&evtype=CpgnClick&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&ddkey=ClickInfo Something like that maybe?

Just get a good wash and wax, i currently use turtlewax nanotech one, (bright green bottle) and its good, instead of a sponge use a microfiber mitt as sponges can drag dirt/grit over the car and damage the paintwork, also use the two bucket method, one with shampoo, one with clean water, after useing the shampoo and washing a panel rinse in the cleanwater and ring it out to get rid of the dirt etc thats on the mitt/sponge then use the shampoo again, then rinse the car and dry with a microfibre cloth, you can get special tyre/wheel/glass cleaners etc and back to black for the tyres/trim/bumpers if necessary, aswell as polish and wax if you want to do that to get a better shine and protect the paint.
By the way, 3 for 2 on cleaning at halfords atm, failing that the big tescos are 3 for 2 also,
Reply 14
Lol...I use washing up liquid all the time.
Reply 15
Check your local Asda; mine were doing a big 5 litre bottle of this for £2:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_378047_langId_-1_categoryId_165527

Stick it in your pressure washer and away you go.
Reply 16
I just use an industrial sized (20 litre?) bottle of Turtle Wax Shampoo that I acquired from Costco, which has been going strong for a number of years. Costco is an ace place to get stuff for cars - they always have a good selection of shampoos, microfibre cloths, polish, waxes, etc. Plus, you can buy four litres of Castrol Oil for about £21, as opposed to £30 in Halfords. Cheap for tyres and Bosch batteries as well. If you're a member or know somebody who is, it's well worth a visit
You can use blue tak as clay bar!
Rimipie
dont use washing up liquid! i used it on my dads car once and he nearly kicked me out of the house lmao, i think he loved that car more than me...

My dad used Washing Up liquid and a single bucket on my Black/Grey Primera!

He put so many swirl marks on it.

I said what the **** are you doing you stupid C***! and then I couldn't live in the house for a week...

But then it did take me 3 days to polish out the damage he did to my car :frown:

Now he knows anyways to use the 2 bucket method, a washing mitt and at the very least zip wax car shampoo usually it's meguiars gold class!

We both learned from the experience :smile:
Reply 19
lol @ the "two bucket method"
Just sounds like a load of buggering about to me.

All you need is a rag and some panel wipe.
Paint is over rated anyway. It's primary job is to protect the metal underneath. If it looks shiny and pretty then thats just a bonus.

I'd quite happily drive round in a car sprayed in rattle can satin black to be honest. In the past I have done.

Latest

Trending

Trending