Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, I have just completed a degree at sussex university in philosophy and english lit, but I rather think I may have missed my calling in mathematics.

I have been fervently autodidacting, but realised that the time commitment required to learn a degree's worth of maths is too great, or rather it will take me too long in years to achieve this.

I was a kind of rebellious teen, so my grades somewhat suffered, (AAB in maths, english and chem respectively - also i dropped further maths).

My two questions are then:

1. How to best present an impressive cv? I was thinking about doing the step papers, which i imagine i would do very well in.

2. Best opportunities for funding? Which unis, perhaps even abroad, would offer the best chance of some kind of funding? Obviously I cannot take out a student loan.

I managed a first in my just-completed degree, but obviously it will probably have little currency.

Any and all help is dearly appreciated.

Cheers.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dedalus)
    1. How to best present an impressive cv? I was thinking about doing the step papers, which i imagine i would do very well in.
    Further maths would be a good start. If you're hoping to study maths at university, teaching yourself further maths should be no problem - even if you don't sit the exams. The STEP exams will be mandatory for Cambridge or Warwick, and will be a bonus for any other university. Other things you might want to think about looking at are the UKMT challenges / olympiads, AEAs, and reading around popular maths books and so on.

I doubt you'll get funding, though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick response, would you say there is any point in doing the further maths exams if i were to do the step papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dedalus)
    Thanks for the quick response, would you say there is any point in doing the further maths exams if i were to do the step papers?
    I think it would be a good idea yes. There are 8 pure questions and only 5 applied on a STEP paper, so it is perfectly possible to get an S in STEP without knowing any applied, and in fact it's possible to get a 1 only knowing a relatively small amount of pure.

Universities will want some evidence that you have a reasonably broad knowledge base as well as a deep one.

ReputationRep:
    AAB and your saying your grades suffered?!
    as for the further maths and step stuff, ive been offered places at southampton and birmingham unis to do maths and I havent done either of them so yeah i think you will get in fine.

AAB isn't bad, but if you're aiming for the top universities, that won't be enough, especially without Further Maths. I think self-teaching and, by extension, actually sitting the STEP exams will be of supreme benefit to you. Also, as someone has already mentioned, to further demonstrate your passion, read some maths books and perhaps even take part in mathematics-related events (Olympiad, Maths conferences etc).

One last thing, whilst not relevant, your degree - the class in particular - will show universities that you are capable of excelling academically. So, in that sense, don't feel like your degree will have 'no currency'.

And finally, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for the advice and support, i've missed this year's step papers then it would seem, and I'm probably going to be doing an mphil in london on philosophy of physics/mathematics, so I could apply next Septemberish to read mathematics the following year with a step under my belt.

Till then I guess i'll keep watching all these lovely free video lectures around, and my friend who just graduated at Cambridge gave me Spivak's Calculus, so I'm sure there is an abundance of knowledge within.

Perhaps I can attend maths lectures whilst in london - there's a thought.

Cheers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.