Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Uni this year in Sheffield and just wanted to get a general opinion on if it the city is full of violence?

I only ask as in the town I live right now is full of *******s, recentley when I was out I got mugged and really badly attacked by a group of thugs, it's really affected my confidence, espcially walking around at night. =/ I dress quite alternative, skinnies, long hair etc... Which I don't think helps.

I'm not going to let it affect me meeting new people and stuff, It's not affected my social ability, it's generally I don't like being out at night anymore, as I'm constantly woried it will happen to me again.

Just in summary wondering if Sheffield is a generally a good atmosphere and not very intimidating? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I can tell you that sheffield is one of the safest 'big cities' in the whole of the U.K. It records the lowest crimes amongst all the big names, i.e Birmingham, Manchester etc. It did the last time I checked anyway (like last year).

And (basing this on opinion, not fact), Sheffields full of goths/skaters/emo/hippy types anyway, so you won't really stand out anyway I don't think.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    its no worse than anywhere else, all cities have their share of idiots and stuff that kicks off late at night but generally speaking its not been too bad in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is definitely a safe city, I just googled and found this article from the local paper (admittedly bit out of date) which says that Sheffield is statistically the safest city in the UK (clicky)

You will definitely not stand out here for dressing alternatively, there are thousands of students in the city from both uni and hallam and you are more likely to blend in than stand out here tbh (certainly around the uni and city centre). I certainly have never heard of people being picked on for how they look here as there is a big mix of people, from a personal point of view I live in the city centre and I feel completely safe walking around at night (usually nipping out to tesco for icecream lol). City centre is mostly well lit and I often see city centre marshalls or whatever theyre called keeping an eye on things.

Obviously there is some crime, but you just have to keep your wits about you and follow general safety rules (not wandering in dark alleys on your own at midnight). Generally however there is a nice atmosphere in the city at night, with lots of other students around especially during the week.

ReputationRep:
    Never had a problem in 3 years of Uni in Sheffield. A huge student population means a low chav one.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Sheffield was awarded 'safest city in the UK'.

It seems a lot safer than most big cities.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is a very safe place. I've just left after 3 years of uni and never once had any aggro or problems, even when walking home alone at 3am. Like any big city there is crime, people get mugged, drunken fights happen sometimes...etc, but out of my 100 or so coursemates nobody encountered any difficulties.

A lot of studenty types are emos and "alternative" dressers. Loads of people dress like that in Shef and nobody will give you a second glance for eyeliner, long hair...etc.

ReputationRep:
    Never had a problem personally in all my life at Sheffield. Some areas of Sheffield are obviously dodgy but there are always cities with dodgy areas. But for a student, you should never have to go in any of these places.

ReputationRep:
    i hope so, i'm also going there this year =]

ReputationRep:
    I've always felt very comfortable and secure in the city centre, not encountered a lot of trouble at all. I think I've seen one or two fights, but it's usually between drunks - if you don't provoke anyone, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I love Sheffield and always feel safe walking on my own

ReputationRep:
    I've been there 4 years and never had any trouble.

As with most places, if you're not an idiot, you'll be alright

ReputationRep:
    You should be careful in the city centre at night, and in clubs etc, as with any big city, but just walking around is generally ok. Don't go around Manor waving a blackberry around or show off your £50 notes and you'll be ok.

ReputationRep:
    A guy was stabbed last night in town. This sort of thing would make you think, oh, it's not safe!! But... it was after he got into a bit of a ruckus in McDonald's and it spilled out into the street. Random thugs performing acts like that is pretty rare in my experience; it takes two to tango, etc.

There's a fair amount of idiots around. As a woman I don't walk around at night by myself as it is but that's not because I think Sheffield's not safe, it's just because I wouldn't do that absolutely anywhere in this country.

I wouldn't walk home alone, it's always worth the price of a cab for peace of mind and safety.

There's a few areas outside the centre itself that are known to be a bit rougher. Mostly it's idiot kids who cause trouble; one smashed my car window in a secure (he climbed over quite a fence...) CCTV covered car park which shows how intelligent these people are. But I do live in one of those slightly rougher areas, and students are a target.

Just be careful in particular around freshers' week as it's no secret when that is. Maybe I'm over paranoid to avoid walking around alone at night but as others have said I'd say the city centre itself is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Its not like a small town or a village, but as far as large cities go, its very safe. I lived there 4 years and I saw less violence or crime than I did in 6 months in London.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.