Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asking a girl for her number in the street...would you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fleur_)
    I always have a lot of respect for guys who do this (unless it's when they're so drunk they can hardly stand, that doesn't count :p: ), so I always give them a number, if not my actual one. That way they feel good about themselves and look good in front of their friends, and it's not until later (if at all) that they find out. And even then, they might just think I wrote it down wrong.. possibly. It also means they'll probably then have the guts to try it again, maybe to more success. :cute:
    You are the worst kind of girl . Pretending to give positive feedback when it's actually negative. So not cool!

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a charity fundraiser, so would stand on the street and talk to people. Anyways, u obv. flirt a bit, and talk to hot girls. In my last week in Leeds I was talking to a beautiful girl with amazing eyes, and asked if she wanted to get a drink later that week. She said yea, and gave me her number.... But then canceled on me later. Crushing.

ReputationRep:
    she asked me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggles128)
    Aw, well giggles is a good thing in my opinion haha :p:

Guys should have more self confidence, i mean surely most girls would like it????
    In the long run there is nothing to lose i agree with you their because if you fail then it is unlikely you are going to cross paths again but those 10 seconds of embarrassment are a killer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercoolfred)
    I used to be a charity fundraiser, so would stand on the street and talk to people. Anyways, u obv. flirt a bit, and talk to hot girls. In my last week in Leeds I was talking to a beautiful girl with amazing eyes, and asked if she wanted to get a drink later that week. She said yea, and gave me her number.... But then canceled on me later. Crushing.
    Ouuch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    No
    I prefer giving my number to people that need it not pervy strangers. If you want to get to know me, start a conversation don't walk up and ask for my number
    Lol, noone said asking for the number straight away. You gotta talk first, flirt a bit, have a nice fun convo and then ask. :yes:

back when me and my mates were immature we used to play the numbers game. How many girls numbers can you get in a certain amount of time. You get good at this stuff after a while.

ReputationRep:
    No
    I prefer giving my number to people that need it not pervy strangers. If you want to get to know me, start a conversation don't walk up and ask for my number
    Oh, I thought that's what the OP meant. Without a conversation, people would usually come across as intimidating/a perv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercoolfred)
    Though did that experience increase your general confidence in approaching women? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    ahh man i get really embarassed when guys do this... makes me uncomfortable but hey some girls like the attention... not me though tis slightly akward although if they come CORRECT thats a different story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Lol, noone said asking for the number straight away. You gotta talk first, flirt a bit, have a nice fun convo and then ask. :yes:

back when me and my mates were immature we used to play the numbers game. How many girls numbers can you get in a certain amount of time. You get good at this stuff after a while.
    Yup. I have lost count of the number of guys that walk up.. "Excuse me can I have your number" So.. you want my number so you can text me?! Why not speak to me now ...!?

Occasionally I have been asked directions... THEN they ask.. Ughh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    In the long run there is nothing to lose i agree with you their because if you fail then it is unlikely you are going to cross paths again but those 10 seconds of embarrassment are a killer.
    Hey, were you on university challenge the other day? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keith Lemon)
    Ouuch!
    Yeppp.

To be fair, I was shocked she even gave me her number. I was pretty chuffed, as she was miles outta my league. I reckon if i met her in a normal situation (i.e. NOT on the street, under the pretense of getting money for charity) a (proper) result woulda been more realistic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Oh, I thought that's what the OP meant. Without a conversation, people would usually come across as intimidating/a perv.

Ah right
    Well OP could mean either I guess,
    Too many guys forget the whole conversation thing ! Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    You are the worst kind of girl . Pretending to give positive feedback when it's actually negative. So not cool!
    Ohh c'mon, it's not that bad! What if the guy's never done it before and is scared out of his mind, having to walk over while his mates stand back in a big crowd watching.. surely it'd be better for him to be able to come back and go 'Haha, she couldn't believe her luck :cool: ' rather than fall flat on his face? When he eventually finds out, his friends will most likely have forgotten all about it, and he probably won't care that much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right
    Well OP could mean either I guess,
    Too many guys forget the whole conversation thing ! Haha
    Well I don't, Barbie.

ReputationRep:
    It's happened to me once, I was just walking somewhere and he came up to me and said he liked my skirt...he was shaking, and sweaty, and I was like :lolwut: ...then he asked me if he could have a kiss, and I said no, so then he asked for a kiss on the cheek and when I said no to that as well he asked for my number. I was 15 at the time so I said, "you know I'm only 15 right?" and he was like "Oh my God, ****, really? I'm 35" :rolleyes:

I just came away from it feeling really...strange. And I thought there was something wrong with him tbh :tongue:

Maybe I would feel different if it was someone nearer my age and hot though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Well I don't, Barbie.
    That's okay then :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fleur_)
    I always have a lot of respect for guys who do this (unless it's when they're so drunk they can hardly stand, that doesn't count :p: ), so I always give them a number, if not my actual one. That way they feel good about themselves and look good in front of their friends, and it's not until later (if at all) that they find out. And even then, they might just think I wrote it down wrong.. possibly. It also means they'll probably then have the guts to try it again, maybe to more success. :cute:
    Very generous indeed!

Personally I wouldn't just go up and ask a girl for her number; I'm not averse to striking up a conversation with a person at a busstop etc. but just asking for their number is a bit strange/creepy.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I have lost count of the number of guys that walk up.. "Excuse me can I have your number" So.. you want my number so you can text me?! Why not speak to me now ...!?

Occasionally I have been asked directions... THEN they ask.. Ughh
    Haha, I've heard rumours that people do that, but I never thought they'd be true! Obviously I expect conversation to be a given. Would you be immediately averse to giving ur number on the street then? What if the conversation was good, lots of laughing/chemisty?

In the fundraising job, the amazing fundraisers were amazing at picking girls up off the street. One of my mates got offered a quicky in the macdonald's toilets (hes a guy).

ReputationRep:
    funy if a nice girl came up to guys, we would jump on that ****, but girls thinks we're pervs if we do it gtfo

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.