Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asking a girl for her number in the street...would you? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fleur_)
    Haha, that's awesome. I'm most definitely trying out for the University Challenge team when I eventually get to university... Was Paxman as patronising and obnoxious as he comes across on TV in real life?

Haha, you definitely should. Although I admire the programme for its own merits, whenever it's on I can't help playing the 'Would I/Wouldn't I' game for all the male contestants. You were definitely a 'Would', as was Shaw (?) from the RVC. Wow, I'm shameless tonight. :p:

Yeahh, sorry for somewhat hijacking the thread OP.

The patronising/obnoxious bit is an act, off camera he is good humoured and encouraging but not jolly.

I got a few random facebook adds after the programme was broadcast on Monday. That is kind of like the reverse of this thread. Strangely, i have never viewed Uni Challenge as a place for 'talent spotting'. I don't know why but judging by the comments in the Uni Challenge thread the girls seem to find it more of a happy hunting ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    You aren't born with it. Nobody is. But you can have it from a very young age.
    Age of 5 for me :p: - but at 5 we're all crazy so more realistically. About 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    ooh ooh, I don't know where to spend a weekend this summer with the girls, I will have a look around
    Was debating Brighton too wheyy South , ahhh I don't knowwww :woo:
    "Treat" yourselves and go to Shagaluf/Malia, etc? Or Newquay..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercoolfred)
    "Treat" yourselves and go to Shagaluf/Malia, etc? Or Newquay..
    Was thinking of Newquay actually

We want to stay in England so it doesn't get too expensive

ReputationRep:
    I'll back you up on that. Confidence + Humour + Good flirting skills and you will do very well. Confidence can only come by doing it.
    Oh man, u go to Wellington?!
    I was a hairs breadth away from going there.
    Decided it was a bit too nice.
    State 6th form ftw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercoolfred)
    Oh man, u go to Wellington?!
    I was a hairs breadth away from going there.
    Decided it was a bit too nice.
    State 6th form ftw!
    You really missed out man. I had an EXCELLENT 5 years there and I will miss it greatly. But onto bigger and better things... Bring on BRISTOL! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    The patronising/obnoxious bit is an act, off camera he is good humoured and encouraging but not jolly.

I got a few random facebook adds after the programme was broadcast on Monday. That is kind of like the reverse of this thread. Strangely, i have never viewed Uni Challenge as a place for 'talent spotting'. I don't know why but judging by the comments in the Uni Challenge thread the girls seem to find it more of a happy hunting ground.
    Yeah, so I've heard. Apparently he's instructed to act like that by the BBC, to add a bit of humour to the programme, perhaps.

Oh, really? Haha. I might have to go and add you know. Well, it makes sense. There are people on it that are good looking and intelligent, so it's a double win. And I'm not sure it's just the girls - didn't Trimble from last year get asked to do an FHM centrefold or something?

I'm actually rewatching a bit of it now on iPlayer. You look like the love child of Daniel Radcliffe and David Tennant. And I like the jacket. :top:

ReputationRep:
    haha it happens a lot in my area. Some even do it in front of their mums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    haha it happens a lot in my area. Some even do it in front of their mums.
    They black? Sounds like a stupid question, but black guys really know no fear. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggles128)
    Hahaha! Yes you do have a great sense of humour. Your post actually made me burst out laughing But a guess the giggles can't be stopped with giggles128 ha! :p:

You sound a lovelly guy, so i don't think you should fear it!
    Aww, stop, you're making me blush!

But thank you, I must remember to rep you cos that confidence booster could not have come at a better time

ReputationRep:
    They black? Sounds like a stupid question, but black guys really know no fear. :rolleyes:
    haha how did you know . Anywhere and everywhere :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    haha how did you know . Anywhere and everywhere :p:
    Cause I'm black and I have no fear... though I don't go for girls with their mothers...

ReputationRep:
    OP you're so silly haha... why would a guy WANT to do this?
    If a guy goes up to a girl and just asks for a number the girl is left thinking the guy is shallow and only interested in the thing he's gawping at aimlessly. Similarly the guy doesn't know what he's getting - the girl can look like Cheryl Cole and still be as stupid as britney spears

Besides, you live in Manchester. Would you even feel safe if a random guy came up to you and started talking? lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so I've heard. Apparently he's instructed to act like that by the BBC, to add a bit of humour to the programme, perhaps.

Oh, really? Haha. I might have to go and add you know. Well, it makes sense. There are people on it that are good looking and intelligent, so it's a double win. And I'm not sure it's just the girls - didn't Trimble from last year get asked to do an FHM centrefold or something?

I'm actually rewatching a bit of it now on iPlayer. You look like the love child of Daniel Radcliffe and David Tennant. And I like the jacket. :top:
    Gail Trimble was asked to a photoshoot for Nuts but I think that was more a publicity stunt on Nuts' part than anything else.

My friends tease me saying that I look like Daniel Radcliffe and tbh i can see why they would say that, although as i always point out i am taller than Daniel Radcliffe. I haven't had the David Tennant thing before apart from someone in the Uni Chall thread, but hey it can't be a bad thing to look a bit like David Tennant.

I was in two minds about the jacket. I though it perhaps looked a bit garish on tv under the studio lights but on the other hand i think it helped me look relaxed and not too 'try hard'. For the second round I wore this shirt (in the blue): http://www.fly53store.com/product/418/option/654

What do you think of it? I thought i should dress a little bit smarter.

ReputationRep:
    I always have a lot of respect for guys who do this (unless it's when they're so drunk they can hardly stand, that doesn't count :p: ), so I always give them a number, if not my actual one. That way they feel good about themselves and look good in front of their friends, and it's not until later (if at all) that they find out. And even then, they might just think I wrote it down wrong.. possibly. It also means they'll probably then have the guts to try it again, maybe to more success. :cute:
    a number! :rofl:
    How is that better than no number! That's part of the reason why guys are afraid to ask girls for their number. They're scared of exactly this. It's a bit depressing to work up the courage to get a girls number, and then end up ringing some old, fat middle aged man who thinks your his local takeway service.
    Often friends will want to find the outcome if he has the sort of friends who are going to impressed by it. In fact he might ring you with his friends around/near him. If he finds out it's not you, it's basically public humiliation for him.

Anyway, back to the question. Unfortunately I've never a girl in the street for her number. A girl has asked me for my number though (which I thought was pretty brave). I didn't give it as I felt uncomfortable giving a stranger my phone number, and was slightly intimidated that all her friends were there with her (perhaps giving her moral support).

ReputationRep:
    I have never done this, although after reading this thread I have made a pact with myself to do this in the fresher's week of the uni i'm going 2 this coming semester (although I'm not normally the type of guy who would do this, I tend to be very shy about this sort of thing). Also I don't mean just asking for her number, i would at least start a conversation first... :-)

ReputationRep:
    I've approached a few girls down the pub and made friends with a couple of them. In fact one of my best friends is a girl I tried chatting up in the pub. Failed the chat-up and just hung out, then bumped into her in the street, exchange numbers and now we're 'coffee buddies'.

I have to be in the right state of mind to be able to do it. My piercings seem to make good conversation even if they are a little scary (According to my dad it looks like I've got tusks =/ )

ReputationRep:
    I try to get my mate a girlfriend when I walk home from school with him. Once I got this girl into a convo from across the street but she thought I was saying cya cause she waved.

ReputationRep:
    I would be very tempted to if im on my own (no risk of getting laughed at my friends)
    If the girl has 3+ friends then no.

ReputationRep:
    I really wish more would. I hate having those wasted 'moments' of eye contacts and such.
    Ah well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.