Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Typical story, boy meets girl (through mutual friends), boy likes girl, boy wants to ask girl out. But this is the untypical bit:

I come from a strict muslim family who would reject me if i dated, i have in the past but trying to keep a relationship secret doesn't really work,and the most patient girl in the world wouldn't be able to put up with it for very long. That and this girl is going to a uni very very far next year, whilst i'm taking a gap year.

She's definitely shown interest in me too, to the extent that said mutual friends have noticed it.

So, what are peoples opinions? Should I go for it?

ReputationRep:
    give me her number and I will ask her.

ReputationRep:
    Times have changed. Tell your family about it. They will understand. If they don't, screw them? I know I would. Kinda pathetic if they don't lol.

Just noticed that you are the fire lighting arm hair guy :P.

ReputationRep:
    Its a tough situation. If you're willing to take the risk of a backlash from your family, go for it. Good luck if you decide to do so. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your family about it in a hypothetical sense to start off with and see where the land lies, obviously its hard for a traditional setting to apply to current life, see how the feel, and talk about it with them in a mature way.

In the mean time get to know the girl better, that cant hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I say sod em. Only a complete nutter would tell their own flesh and blood to "do one" because they decide to date someone.

(Original post by bigbhoy91)
    Times have changed. Tell your family about it. They will understand. If they don't, screw them? I know I would. Kinda pathetic if they don't lol.

My parents are strict strict muslims, i'm muslim myself and fairly practicing, but consider them to be pretty extreme in their views. I would probably be ebaten and kicked out of the family. It's not because they're muslim, but because they bring culture and ignorance into their religious practices and are generally unpleasant people. It doesn;t really help that the chick is jewish, and they're racist lol :s

ReputationRep:
    I vote you ask her out anyway if she's willing you also need to make it clear about your family. Then, sit down with your family and talk to them, say that's you really like her, she's a great person and it would make you really happy if you could at least invite her round to meet them (if she's willing) to see for themselves how nice she is.

If that doesn't work then, you're ******, sorry.

And since i don't have a clue what the aslt bit of your post means, i'm probably not the "fire lighting arm guy" sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My parents are strict strict muslims, i'm muslim myself and fairly practicing, but consider them to be pretty extreme in their views. I would probably be ebaten and kicked out of the family. It's not because they're muslim, but because they bring culture and ignorance into their religious practices and are generally unpleasant people. It doesn;t really help that the chick is jewish, and they're racist lol :s
    Shi man, if they would do all that crap to you. Why not just leave. Don't know your age, but you must be coming up to Uni soon'ish.

Who's racist. The jew? lol. Or your family towards the Jew. Whoever thhe racist one is needs a cockslap. And I was refering to the guy above me with the arm thing, just forgot to quote.

Shi man, if they would do all that crap to you. Why not just leave. Don't know your age, but you must be coming up to Uni soon'ish.

Who's racist. The jew? lol. Or your family towards the Jew. Whoever thhe racist one is needs a cockslap. And I was refering to the guy above me with the arm thing, just forgot to quote.
    My family are racist lol, i would never date a racist. I swear they would be voting BNP if they were white lol. Damn them and their ignorance.

And I'm taking gap year before uni, so can't get away just yet. Plus, without them, i can't afford uni. It's not just my immediate family that would reject me, it's friends and extended family too. tis a sucky situation,

ReputationRep:
    I'm very much inclined to believe this is just another in the string of threads that try to condone muslims?

lolwut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My family are racist lol, i would never date a racist. I swear they would be voting BNP if they were white lol. Damn them and their ignorance.

And I'm taking gap year before uni, so can't get away just yet. Plus, without them, i can't afford uni. It's not just my immediate family that would reject me, it's friends and extended family too. tis a sucky situation,
    Sucky indeed. Racist towards who? Non muslims? Maybe they are giving the British public a wee bit of their own medicine lol. If I was you, I would date the girl. Keep it hush. Then if they ask, say she's a muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Leave it. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

(Original post by Caze)
    I'm very much inclined to believe this is just another in the string of threads that try to condone muslims?

lolwut
    No, it's not. I don't blame any of this on Islam, i blame it on my family's ignorance and stupidity and vile personalities, which are completely at odds with what i perceive Islam to be about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.