Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bank accounts - freebies other than railcard? £100? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know this thread has been done before but I'm looking for up to date info. I know some student accounts offer free railcard and a months travel but I'm not interested in that. All of them offer good overdrafts but the rates dont matter to me much as I dont intend to go over the overdraft...

What Im wondering is are there any better freebies than a rail card? A few years ago royal bank of scotland were giving £100 cash to students which was amazing but in the current economic climate this doesnt seem to be on offer anymore.

Any good deals out there? Havent seen many advertised yet.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    See if this helps.

ReputationRep:
    No they stopped it I think, I'm like you and the rail card doesn't interest me. Lloyds TSB are giving a free NUS card and £20 along with other discounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    No they stopped it I think, I'm like you and the rail card doesn't interest me. Lloyds TSB are giving a free NUS card and £20 along with other discounts.
    why does the railcard not interest you? Surely you must use the railways quite a bit within the next 5 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    why does the railcard not interest you? Surely you must use the railways quite a bit within the next 5 years...
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    Why?
    You save around 30% on each rail journey; that could be anything from a tenner to twenty quid or so depending on where you're going, which can make it cheaper than taking the bus to go home or catch up with old mates some time...

ReputationRep:
    I just went for Barclays. I know people with them, they try and sort it all in-branch and you have access to an overdraft immediately (well when the card and PIN arrive, which is within 5 working days), which is much more useful for me. I'll buy the railcard, then use it when I need to get my season ticket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    Why?
    well because even the very occiasional rail user would save a fair amount of money in 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elfen)
    I just went for Barclays. I know people with them, they try and sort it all in-branch and you have access to an overdraft immediately (well when the card and PIN arrive, which is within 5 working days), which is much more useful for me. I'll buy the railcard, then use it when I need to get my season ticket.
    this is true for natwest too (and almost all other banks). You can sort it out in branch if you want to (or internet if you prefer, You can access your overdraft as soon as your account has been set up (natwest offer a £1250 overdraft to start with, Barclays only offer £200, you have to apply for an extended one), plus you get the free 5 year railcard. You probably should have looked into the benefits of other student banks before signing up, seeing as all the positives you have mentioned are standard...

ReputationRep:
    this is true for natwest too (and almost all other banks). You can sort it out in branch if you want to (or internet if you prefer, You can access your overdraft as soon as your account has been set up (natwest offer a £1250 overdraft to start with, Barclays only offer £200, you have to apply for an extended one), plus you get the free 5 year railcard. You probably should have looked into the benefits of other student banks before signing up, seeing as all the positives you have mentioned are standard...
    Natwest don't authorise their overdrafts until after results day though, and even then it’s only if you go in and show them proof. Which I will do at some point, but not straight away, as (like most people I assume) going all the way into town on results day isn't going to interest me. Well it might, but not to go to Natwest! :p:

Agree about the railcard though, but then I'll use mine quite a lot. Got it yesterday and next month I’m already going to save about 30 quid in 1 trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Natwest don't authorise their overdrafts until after results day though, and even then it’s only if you go in and show them proof. Which I will do at some point, but not straight away, as (like most people I assume) going all the way into town on results day isn't going to interest me. Well it might, but not to go to Natwest! :p:

Agree about the railcard though, but then I'll use mine quite a lot. Got it yesterday and next month I’m already going to save about 30 quid in 1 trip.
    is this now the same for all banks? You have to show confirmation of getting into uni, otherwise anyone could get an interest free overdraft

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I don't use Natwest out of principle, and they're really hard to get to talk to in my area. You walk in and they ignore you. Barclays treat you like a real person, instead of some cash ridden statistic ready to **** up their careful system. And Natwest refused me, but Barclays didn't.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC ftw. I've been with them since I was about 10 and have only every had one problem - which was resolved quickly and with compensation :P Sure, they don't give you a railcard, but you get free travel insurance for 2 years (which is awesome since my dad lives abroad and I visit him a lot!) and a decent sized overdraft. I also find their staff really helpful & understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)

I set my student account up with them a few weeks ago and they just said ring xxx number after the 20th (Results day) and the overdraft is then authorised over the phone.

ReputationRep:
    Nope I think I've been on one train in the last 2-3 years. Hardly use them at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elfen)
    I'm pretty sure you can't use your rail card on a season ticket. At least I couldn't for the two years I took the train to college. Unless its changed recently,

ReputationRep:
    is this now the same for all banks? You have to show confirmation of getting into uni, otherwise anyone could get an interest free overdraft
    No, Barclays give you £200 straight away (so June/July when you open the account), then more up to £1,000 or whatever it is once you get in, whereas the others give you nothing until results. I am actually with Natwest BTW, although it sounds like I'm selling Barclays :p:. I don't need the overdraft, but if I did Barclays would probably be my choice.

(Original post by EGjeff)
    I set my student account up with them a few weeks ago and they just said ring xxx number after the 20th (Results day) and the overdraft is then authorised over the phone.
    I heard they were considering a way of doing it by phone, but last I heard it was branch only. That will be useful then, I'll just phone their Student Account number (if I get in), they should do it or put me through to where they will.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.