Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many hours per day did you study for AS level January exams for science + maths? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How many hours per day did you study for AS level January exams for science + maths?

So, for people who took biology, chemistry, maths and psychology mainly:

How many hours did you study for your unit 1 (AS level) exam?
    And how did you study? - like what study method did you use?

[AND MAINLY AIMED AT THOSE WHO GOT GRADE A IN ALL THEIR AS LEVEL SUBJECTS]

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did Bio, Chem and Maths. I didn't study that much to be honest cause I'd worked hard in the autumn term and have a pretty good memory.

The studying I did do for Bio I copied out of the book and for Chem and Maths I did past papers. With maths they can only really ask you variants on the same question so doing all the past papers you can really helps prepare you for it and familiarise yourself with what they expect you to do.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princestia)
    How many hours per day did you study for AS level January exams for science + maths?

So, for people who took biology, chemistry, maths and psychology mainly:

How many hours did you study for your unit 1 (AS level) exam?
    And how did you study? - like what study method did you use?

[AND MAINLY AIMED AT THOSE WHO GOT GRADE A IN ALL THEIR AS LEVEL SUBJECTS]

Thanks
    Panicing already?

Well, I did just Bio- which admittedly was my worst subject and did zero revision (because it's the one I'm hoping I can scrape and E then drop), but the point is my teacher told us a minimum of 20minutes per night per module of each subject. That way your brain doesn't get fried and you don't get bored. I followed this for my other subjects, but don't know quite how it turned out yet but I'm confident :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Out of that list I only did Maths, so I can't give you a full picture, but I probably spent two full days and a couple of odd hours here and there revising. That was two much though - I didn't really need the second day, but I had nothing else to do; I only had one other January exam and that was a week or so later.
    Most people don't revise for like a full day, 8am - 10pm without a break, but I can't do that bitesize lark. The best thing you can do for maths is just lots of past papers, and you can start those as soon as you've finished learning all of C1. It's probably more advisable to start earlier and just do a little bit here and there.
    Don't start worrying yet, you've got plenty of time to perfect revision

ReputationRep:
    I started 2 months before to revise from 2-3 hours a day gradually to around 8 hours a day near the end

ReputationRep:
    For maths, I took S1 and C1 in January, and got strong A's in both. The revision needed really varies depending on how hard you work during the preceding term and your natural aptitude at maths. I did more revision for S1, but mainly I did past papers for both of these exams- which meant that for the two modules together I spent about 2-3 hours per day for about a week and a half doing past papers, with about 3-4 hours on the days before the exams finishing up anything I wasn't entirely sure on. The key with maths is to make sure you learn everything properly during the term, do the assignments as well as you possibly can etc- then when it comes to revision, there is little left to do apart from perfect techniques and practice past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Did exactly the subject OP mentioned, got-

92, 93, 98(C2), 83 /100 respectively.

Didn't do much, as long as you learn the stuff well, there's no need to revise for days on end.

ReputationRep:
    I did Maths C1 in January and did basically 1 past paper a day and got 96/100

ReputationRep:
    i did chem, c1, c2, s1 and physics
    and i didn't think of revision as 'hours per day' i just thought of it as getting topics done.
    i probably ended up doing around an hour a day for the sciences closer to the time, and an hour and a half for maths since that's how long the papers are :p:

there is no need to start revision until your christmas holidays or a bit before, and you can still get a good A

ReputationRep:
    i did bio, chem and psyc, started revsion early (so a bit each weekend and a few weekday evenings) becasue i went skiing over xmas! and then worked a few hours each day in the two weeks before.
    in the end got (%) chem: 86, bio: 90, psyc: 100.
    in bio and psyc its a case of learning everything, and in chem its about past papers. i found starting early and just doing it gradually worked for me

ReputationRep:
    Out of those subjects I did chemistry and maths. For chemistry I just listened in class and did the work we were set for homework then did about 8 hours revision for the exam and ended up with 90% i think. My revision consisted of just doing past paper questions.

Similar for maths - except there is a lot more emphasis on practice. For revision in maths, I just launch straight into doing past papers the day before exam since it's the only way that really works for me. I got decent results in january : all A's so it must have worked.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I got 95/100 in c1 in January without any extra revision except the stuff we did in class and and a few past papers.
    Can't comment on the science though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the posts so far, everyone. Very helpful

ReputationRep:
    For every exam ive ever done, my revision schedule is as follows.

Attend 50-100% of the lessons, no extra revision.

Start revising 1/2 weeks before the exam with about 1 past paper per day, realise im ******, cram the text book, do more papers, do the exam, exam goes pretty well, slack until next lot of exams.

(I did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.)

ReputationRep:
    Out of those I did chem, bio and psychology. Psychology I didn't take january exams so I'll skip that- Biology I started revising at the beginning of the christmas holidays making notes. Chemistry I started after christmas doing practice papers and reading through the book for storylines questions. I also had a revision session at school. Towards the end I did around 4 hours of each subject a day.

ReputationRep:
    out of those subjects i only do maths- did C1 and FP1 in january, and didn't do a huge amount of revision- well, no that's not entirely true. For C1 we were given about 10 specimen papers, as well as all the past papers, and i did all those and then for FP1 i did all the past papers, but couldn't find any specimen ones unfortunately. We started all this in lessons before xmas, and then i started at home... possibly about a week before the exam... i can't really remember.
    i got 100% in C1 and 87% in FP1
    the lesson here being the more practice papers you do the better!

ReputationRep:
    I took C1 a year early, and did literally no revision (concentrating on gcses, and got a 78, so subsequently retook).
    I took chem 1 and S1 in Jan 09 and probably did about 3 days of solid revision before chem. By solid, I mean 3 hours a day
    For stats just did one past paper and that was it
    Got 90s in those though

ReputationRep:
    I got 84 UMS in BYA1 January resit and 90 UMS in BYA2 January resit.
    I started revision for both from mid November, which was a couple hours after school and 4 hours on weekends. Revision really only kicked off at the start of December when I started doing 7-9 hours each day.
    Revision started off with me re-reading the entire text book to familiarise myself with it, then I quite literally re-wrote the text book in my own words. The last week consisted of just past papers, I'd try to get through 2 of each a day but only really got through 1 for one module and 2 for another. I spent ages going through them and learning the marking points for frequent questions (the dreaded "six markers")

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.