Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    I'm 22 and I live away from home. My father has a serious problem. Its like he was abused as a child. He offends everyone. He comes across as an arrogant prat but I don't think he is. I think hes just troubled. The rest of the family are in agreement that enough is enough. We've just stopped visiting him as he lives alone. I feel bad but seeing him is detrimental for me. Is there anything I can do because I'm at a loss now

    What's your relationship like with him atm? You could just try to look past the arrogance for one day and be nice, respectful, try and spend some quality time together, and he'll reciprocate.. It won't happen overnight and he won't know how to respond at first but maybe alienating him has been more detrimental to him and driven him further away? Don't give up, he's still your dad, I'm sure you can work something out, even if it's just talking on the phone to begin with? Good luck!


Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.