Turn on thread page Beta

do you have a university trustfund. I don't and feel like crap. watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't, and like most people am facing a monumental mountain of debt in a few years time. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I need to. In the meantime, just trying not to stress...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priceless_beauty)
    Hi

Basically im hopefully going off to uni this year, and whilst talking to some of my friends, they have mentioned a trust fund, that thier parents set up for when they go to university, which theyre going to use as an instant cash injection when they need it for parties and going out, i have nothing of the sort, and only have the money i have earnt via a part time job which is about a grand and a half.

How common is a trust fund?

how many people have something like this?

I don't have anything =/

But I don't mind. I have the maximum grant and loans. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    And everybody that pulls that trick is always the first to do it. And will explain it to you at great length. Because they're financial masterminds who have discovered a loophole. Better yet, they're the first to discover the loophole.
    It doesn't take a genius to do this, or even think of it. If you're clever enough to get to university, you should be clever enough to work this out.

No one I know has boasted about saying they'll be the first to do it, or its their great idea, it is just general common sense.

ReputationRep:
    And everybody that pulls that trick is always the first to do it. And will explain it to you at great length. Because they're financial masterminds who have discovered a loophole. Better yet, they're the first to discover the loophole.
    I don't ever remember thinking I was the first, certainly nobody else in the money forum here does either. Its not even a loophole.

ReputationRep:
    :stink:
    (Original post by G50)
    when you get to uni it's time to get off the parents' tits.
    Hehe, that made me laugh.
    :blow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    It doesn't take a genius to do this, or even think of it. If you're clever enough to get to university, you should be clever enough to work this out.

No one I know has boasted about saying they'll be the first to do it, or its their great idea, it is just general common sense.
    I know they say that sarcasm is difficult over the internet. They don't have to come straight out and say it - it's always implied when it's mentioned, in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)

The poster seemed to agree with you on your first sentence. I agree with you on the second, I thought about it before I read about it, but yes, thats because its common sense.

ReputationRep:
    The "you stink" bit was an accident hehe

ReputationRep:
    I know they say that sarcasm is difficult over the internet. They don't have to come straight out and say it - it's always implied when it's mentioned, in my experience.
    I've sort of noticed that, but I think its mainly just people being overly excited about making half a grand a year for doing nothing rather than thinking there is any originality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I've sort of noticed that, but I think its mainly just people being overly excited about making half a grand a year for doing nothing rather than thinking there is any originality.
    I wouldn't sweat it, that previous one was more of a pop at some of the people I know, to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't sweat it, that previous one was more of a pop at some of the people I know, to be fair.
    I wasn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I wasn't
    Then it's all good. Just so you know.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. I've got nothing like that, so I'm gonna be saving up for myself. All my friends have got something, even if it's just a savings account, though lots have had massive inheritances from their mum's dead great great aunt who was about 102 lol. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure there are plenty of others. Unfortunately we weren't all born to rich, considerate parents.

ReputationRep:
    I do, but its to pay for my accomodation for the next three years, not to go out drinking with! Im gonna get a job for that. Using the money my mother saved for years just to get drunk would frankly be an insult to her!

ReputationRep:
    I don't. I worked full time and I've saved up about 3k, but I don't really intend on spending much of that when I go to uni either, its just there for when I'll need it (if I am mugged or need a deposit on a rented flat or a car or a masters or whatever)

I also intend on working at uni (part time obviously) - now I've gotten used to working 50something hours a week I feel terrified at the idea of not having a steady income when I'm at uni!

I love being financially independent, I used to be a very neurotic and negative person but going on a gap year and working has really helped me find stability and trust in myself. I think that all young adults should have a mandatory gap year between college and uni (it'd benefit the economy for them all to be contributing, it'd improve graduate employment by giving them skills and CV references, it'd reduce student debt because they could make savings and it'd be thinking time to make careful, considered choices about which course to take after experiencing work first hand.)

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Going to Uni is my decision and the cost is my responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    I have one, but seeing as I'm staying in London for 6 years for my course, I doubt it'll be enough so I'm having to take out a loan, as I'm from a low income background and my parents are funding nothing, and so I'm keeping the money to keep me going after I graduate.

Oh yeah, and my grandma had to die for me to get this money (she didn't die because of the money, it was an inherited thing after her death), so it's not really a trust fund per se. So yeah, I would rather be in the position of someone else instead of have her die.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have one and all my savings my parents had for me which included the child benefits were spent on a loan. So I havent a penny to my name except my bank account which has around £100.

ReputationRep:
    I will have one for postgrad, but parents are helping me out with undergrad

ReputationRep:
    I have one, but I made it, for myself, and it's only me that has been puttin money in it, so I don't feel spoiled or nuffin, I've worked hard enough for it.
    Just to say, I had a year in Rome now, where I studied philosophy. Didn't go berserk, but lived on a normal student budget, and guess what? DIdn't need to spend a penny from my trustfund So, still have it all there, for emergencies or things like that. Being broke and wanting to get drunk for example.. :redface

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.