Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best way to approach a girl in public? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Moonwalk towards them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise not from the back.. :hump:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    I would advise against doing that. The girl might be in a relationship, uninterested, offended, gay, etc. Don't just assume all the girls in the street are available.

And don't approach them unless you're super cute. They will get freaked out and won't be tempted to give you their number. Again, unless you're extraordinarily good looking or their type, refrain yourself.
    pmsl

is this guy serious?

them NERVOUS guys there

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against doing that. The girl might be in a relationship, uninterested, offended, gay, etc. Don't just assume all the girls in the street are available.

And don't approach them unless you're super cute. They will get freaked out and won't be tempted to give you their number. Again, unless you're extraordinarily good looking or their type, refrain yourself.
    This is all wrong and does nothing for the OP's, or any other male's self esteem. The same rings true for every area of life, so if you followed the "wonderful" advice you've given then no guy would ever approach a girl.

Looks play less of a factor than you might think, and this advice is complete rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Be funny.

If a guy randomly came upto me and was funny I'd be more inclined to talk to him.

If a guy randomly came upto me and was deadly serious I'd be more inclined to run away.

ReputationRep:
    bus stop/station/train station

excuse me...
    when's the next train/bus?
    where does this go to?
    what time is it? / do you have the time?
    is this usually so late?
    etc

just to generate a conversation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    Just say hi then ask a question, such as where is this or ask for an opinion on something then your in a conversation, just continue it by taking whatever they say and running with it.

Your at HMV looking at CDs.
    For example: What do you think of this band?
    Her: blablabla there good I went to see them blablabla
    You: pick up on the fact she went to see them and you say: oh where did you see them?
    what was that like?

Its called having a conversation.
    :ahee: I agree - ye old conversation is the best way to go

The CD idea is good as you can find out what kind of music the girl likes - thus can tell if yous have that in common which is always a good start

ReputationRep:
    Oh please note, if you start talking to her and she obviously isn't wanting to talk back, or if she starts moving away from you
    Please. Just leave it.
    Don't try and start a new conversation - she will most probably get creeped out at this point. And theres no way back from that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently Ive been trying to increase my confidence with girls and one way is by trying to approach them in public. Girls whats the best way for a guy to approach you? What you they say? What would tempt you to possibly giving them your number?
    There isn't really one. You might have more success approaching girls who are in your school/uni/club etc. that way you aren't a complete stranger.

ReputationRep:
    Go with a tub of change and go towards her. Say your collecting for charity. She'll ask "What charity?" You say "I work for a cause that likes to give hot girls like you a good time now come with me."

ReputationRep:
    i like the way in FRIENDS they do this all the time, and it dosnt really ring a bell that in reality the male is ******** himself, and ofcourse a man who has Kakd his pants before even saying hello, is not a gd start.

ReputationRep:
    Well you could assume you're their type if they send you certain vibes, now "vibes" are just relative and as you say, you can never know for sure. It's a risk.
    Yeah, it's a risk - but one with great possible rewards and fairly insignifcant repercussions for failure.

(Original post by CHRIS_PARTLOW)
    pmsl

is this guy serious?

them NERVOUS guys there

Off topic, but I thought your name rang a bell...'The Wire'...the best thing I will probably ever watch, although Ive gotta say I prefered Snoop :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You: "HAI!"
    Her: "O hai..."
    You: "Mai uncle just died."
    Her: "Oh, erm... I'm sorry?"
    You: "Yeah. Sympathy shagz?"
    Her: "Well why the hell not?"

SCORE

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who does this all the time to women.

The tactic seems to be to approach them on their own, with a smile, and make a humourous observation or statement that you both can relate to. E.g. "This train is always late, isn't it?" which can go on to conversations about how she either doesn't know, she's only going to so-and-so today, or yes, she knows, she agrees, etc. Then conversation.

EDIT: Don't stare at her, or make aggressive body signals, like facing towards/ leaning over her. If she's looking into the distance/ out of a window/ woefully at the train line just stand next to her, smile at her briefly if she looks at you, and look in the same direction she is looking in before you talk to her. The vast majority of attractive women are used to men trying to pick them up aggressively.

ReputationRep:
    say something along the lines of this.........

Hey there, sorry i know this is very random but your very pretty and couldent help noticing how lovely your smile is. my names ____ what's yours?
    Cool, nice name! So are you from around here then?
    Arh cool, so i was wondering if it would be ok to get your number as i would like to get to know you more?
    x ha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggles128)
    say something along the lines of this.........

Hey there, sorry i know this is very random but your very pretty and couldent help noticing how lovely your smile is. my names ____ what's yours?
    Cool, nice name! So are you from around here then?
    Arh cool, so i was wondering if it would be ok to get your number as i would like to get to know you more?
    x ha!
    I couldn't do that without bursting into laughter at the cheesyness of it. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    If you really want ideas on how to approach girls raed the game.

BY NO MEANS am I saying steal their lines and use those same canned lines in public (that will only result in fail) but it will give you a better idea of how to approach, and open a conversation with complete strangers.

DISCLAIMER: I am not some wanabee PUA just read it out of curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    I did this once, just said "hey I don't normally do this but can I have your number?"

Then I gots it. wabam!

ReputationRep:
    Get it out, put it in her hand and cry.

I dunno, I was gonna start a thread like this myself. My mate asked a cashier at Tesco for her number after joking around a little bit. She said she had a BF, so he left it. So he was out in town, she saw him and recognized him and they went out to town for some drinks, and then got her number.
    She said it was the fact he was so balls-out in his approach that impressed her. So joke around, be funny and stuff, that's the best method I guess.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.