Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best way to approach a girl in public? Watch

ReputationRep:
    From a guys point of view.

I met my girlfriend through joining the student union at my Uni and the first time i spoke to her, it was about skydiving :p: and then i invited her out for a drink after the meeting :P and the rest as they say, is history. so my advice is: join as many groups as possible and you instantly have cause to have a conversation with a girl. As for talking to girls in pubs and clubs, just get on the dancefloor...

Or a conversation starter that has never failed me is "i love this song"

You will gain more confidence, and don't feel bad if they reject you. You probably wont get shot down for going and introducing yourself to a girl unless shes really heartless. so get in there and be positive, avoid blabbermouth syndrome and just be yourself is the best advice i can give to you mate.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suuuuuuseh)
    Without wishing to sound excessively harsh, while I admire people who have the courage to come straight out and ask for numbers, there still does have to be.. something there, as in mutual attraction, for me. And unfortunately if we've never even spoken, the chances of that aren't particularly overwhelming. :p:

Thats why you have to go and talk to them, I don't see why if you see someone that is attractive you shouldn't spend a minute or two having a conversation to see if there is more to it, everyone was a stranger before they talked to you.

(Original post by ......?)
    Thats why you have to go and talk to them, I don't see why if you see someone that is attractive you shouldn't spend a minute or two having a conversation to see if there is more to it, everyone was a stranger before they talked to you.
    Sorry, meant to quote someone who suggested just asking for their number!

ReputationRep:
    Whip your **** out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chic)
    What about her bf?
    what boyfriend? :p:

ReputationRep:
    do what Michael Jackson does in his 'the way you make me feel video'

approach from a corner, shout 'hey', wait for her to turn around,
    then smile at her and say, 'you knock me offa my feet now baby'
    then go he he and dance around her until she smiles back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebutterflyeffect)
    bus stop/station/train station

excuse me...
    when's the next train/bus?
    where does this go to?
    what time is it? / do you have the time?
    is this usually so late?
    etc

just to generate a conversation.
    Girls won't respond well to 'interview mode', she'll get bored, it'll be awkward, and you'll run out of things to ask after about 5 questions. This is just data handling, not conversation!

When you ask a question bulk things out with a bit of a story or conversation based on what you ask, this way you put across your personality much better.

Give it a go guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treben)
    Girls won't respond well to 'interview mode', she'll get bored, it'll be awkward, and you'll run out of things to ask after about 5 questions. This is just data handling, not conversation!

When you ask a question bulk things out with a bit of a story or conversation based on what you ask, this way you put across your personality much better.

Give it a go guys!
    i didn't really mean follow the list or in that order. i agree that it would be boring and very robotic. all you need is one question from that and then just use creativity after.

ReputationRep:
    Things you will need to approach in public at day:

A lot of confidence
    Good grooming
    Good flirting skills
    More confidence
    A nice laid back attitude.

Honestly, you just have to do it. You have to back yourself, walk up with a nice smile and talk. Chat to the girl, don't start flirting immediately but after 5-10 minutes or so its cool. You need to be humorous through out. If you are funny, confident and laid back you'll do really well. PM me if you want more advice.

EDIT: If you want PUA advice however don't PM me, I don't have any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)

A lot of confidence
    Good grooming
    Good flirting skills
    More confidence

Honestly, you just have to do it. You have to back yourself, walk up with a nice smile and talk. Chat to the girl, don't start flirting immediately but after 5-10 minutes or so its cool. You need to be humorous through out. If you are funny, confident and laid back you'll do really well. PM me if you want more advice.

:rofl: here is a guy who knows what he's doing :yes:

(Original post by n0c0ntr0l)

A lot of confidence
    Good grooming
    Good flirting skills
    More confidence

My confidence is ok has improved alot over recent times, but I dont know im hard at having a good flowing conversation, and starting it. Once I get going I think its good its just getting there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My confidence is ok has improved alot over recent times, but I dont know im hard at having a good flowing conversation, and starting it. Once I get going I think its good its just getting there...
    Okay try this. First of all I'd work on approaches. Walk up to girls with some simple question as where is starbucks. They tell you where and say thanks and go. That should help with the fear of approaching. Then after this try asking opinions and stuff. But most of all just do it. You'll never feel comfortable doing it, unless you do it. That's the only true way to build up your confidence. Btw if a girl asks you whether you do it a lot, just dodge the question in a playful kind of way."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophistress)
    Strike up a conversation about a non-threatening, non-sexual thing; something innocuous to make her feel more relaxed. You could say, 'Hi, I need a female opinion of something', and then ask her something about beauty or fashion.

The purpose is to get into a conversation with them without making them think you like them or are after anything else - that personally would make me feel uncomfortable (unless they were very attractive).

Equally, if it's evident that they aren't interested, don't try to pursue the conversation or hang around.

works poorly on moving targets, i've done variations of this and most of the time you get one word anwers or a "i don't know", then they are trying to leave (infact she probably wont stop walking completely) so you have to act and think and act fast and she soon realises you are trying to pick her up.

if you want stationary targets then yeah if you are a good conversationalist with strangers it could work for you but you are limited in your choice of stationary targets.

in my expeirence women are not stupid. most of the time if you are chatting to them she soon realize/suspect you are trying to chat her up. chatting up a random woman without her realising is quite difficult.

I prefer a simple, "hi, excuse me.., sorry to interupt and i know this is kinda forward of me but i thought you were cute and wanted to come say hi"

and then take it from there.
    if she has a bf or is not interested you'll soon know it.

if she is open to you chatting her up or even interested back in you, it cuts all the BS and it's so much easier to esculate.

it's high risk, but also high reward.

the "can i get an opinion something" is low risk but also low reward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)

the "can i get an opinion something" is low risk but also low reward.
    Disagree, you do it right. And it's high reward. Whilst I'm no PUA, one of my friends is, and he does it all the time. And he rarely fails to get even the hottest girls number. And his 'opener' is always an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I'm no PUA it's hard to appraoch girl when thier walking somewhere down the street and it may come off creepy, perhaps when your in a supermarket and your looking around ask the girl who you like thier if she would have some cooking advice even, just ask what would mix well with this blah blah, Then you have engaged a convo and can go on from thier.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and yeah. Don't go for moving targets. The girls you go for should be ones who aren't rushed for time, otherwise you'll just get negative responses such as I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    "How does my mysterious cloth smell?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    I would advise against doing that. The girl might be in a relationship, uninterested, offended, gay, etc. Don't just assume all the girls in the street are available.

And don't approach them unless you're super cute. They will get freaked out and won't be tempted to give you their number. Again, unless you're extraordinarily good looking or their type, refrain yourself.
    Here's some more advice; don't always take advice on straight dating from 16 year old Lesbians. (ya rly check the profile).

Mate I have tried a lot of different things over the years, and a friendly, warm, open, confident vibe is what you need to be project, and just be genuine in conversation. This video and some of the related ones is a good example of what I'm on about.

Do what i do
    say your in a busy place

step 1 - give them the eye
    Step 2 - wait a while
    step 3 - go and lick therir face

disclaimer thid does not always work but will be a good laugh for you friends,family and anyone whose with you at the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    in my expeirence women are not stupid. most of the time if you are chatting to them she soon realize/suspect you are trying to chat her up. chatting up a random woman without her realising is quite difficult.
    No we're not stupid. But by the time she's realised that you're chatting her up, you'll already have initiated the conversation and have your 'foot in the door', so to speak. Maybe it's just me, but if a guy approached me and told me I was cute/that he fancied me I would immediately find him less attractive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.