Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, gonna be in yr 10 soon and was thinking about work experience, any ideas? TNX:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I worked in the Body Shop for a week
    I loved it!
    The girls there were a real laugh and I spent my days putting hand creams on from the samples

(I also helped to do stock checks and other tedious things such as cleaning)

ReputationRep:
    I was at a primary school..it was ok but I wish I'd thought harder about what I wanted. School made us fill out these matching forms and I know loads of people who absolutely hated their work experience (lol, one friend had to work in the tourist information centre yet I've never seen any tourists in the town?) because they had just been vague on the form. Also, if you can (or are allowed or whatever), try and get two placements (1 week each) because a lot of people found that they enjoyed teh first week but were just bored stiff the second week.

Ok, I've just realised that none of that really answered your question but yeah, just think about what interests you and see if you can think of any ideas from that.

ReputationRep:
    I did two weeks, one at a vets and one at a school. I originally wanted to do vet med but after wrk experience found it wasn't what I wanted to do at all. Also when I started at the school I didn't expect to enjoy it and it turns I actually really did, even if it was incredibly tiring .

In short if you get two weeks then I would do two different places as it gives you a variety, also think about what areas interest you and try and get work experience to suit your interest.s.

ReputationRep:
    I did mine in a nursery (God knows why I chose that) and I left after one day because I hated it so much. My teacher said I had to find something else to do immediately cos I couldn't stay at home and do nothing..All I could find was working in a cafe! But I only had to go in 11-2 so it was all good!

It's good that you're thinking about it early though, it'll give you a good chance to get in somewhere you want I wanted to do it at my local newspaper but they didn't have any spaces left

ReputationRep:
    You wanna try working in whatever you aspire to be for example i wished to be a forensic scientist but due to laws couldn't do work experienced with the Police
    It's best to get a "Personal Placement" if you can, rather than let the School/thing assign you one as almost everyone who got assigned one hated it - one friend ended up in an old peoples home, another ended up at a Golf Course he got their on the first day and they said they knew nothing about it.
    I worked in a Gym, it was fun got to use all the machines and take part in activities/lessons for free - Aqua Aerobics = lol I also only had to work 3 hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a local primary, only because it was so difficult to find places elsewhere (got taken up early by the other bloody schools)! I loved working with the kids, although it was a little less trying than I'd have liked (a nursery group), and often just boring. My advice: think of what you would really like to do and get the application in EARLY!

ReputationRep:
    Mine was awesome...I worked at a 3D design place and designed an ice rink for some American company

Unless you have a specific career in mind that counts a lot on work experience (law/medicine) find something that you might actually enjoy doing

ReputationRep:
    Mine sucked, i wanted to do something medicine-related, but because in year ten you're under 16, i wasn't allowed anywhere because of patient confidentiality! I ended up in a Hotel, that no-one seemed to go in ever, that i mostly did cleaning in. But i was ill for most of the week and only actually went in for 2 days. So it wasn't particularly useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taz101)
    Hey guys, gonna be in yr 10 soon and was thinking about work experience, any ideas? TNX:ahee:
    If you want to go somewhere good like a radio station or a tv station then get it sorted asap because the places go sooo fast. I left mine a month before work experience started and the only places left were primary schools which was crap lol

ReputationRep:
    Make sure that you find the place that you want to work yourself. Me, I had faith in Trident and my placement ended up falling through. I thought I had time to find a placement for myself but all the companies I wanted to go for just told me it was too short notice - I got 20 rejections in total. But on the bright side I got some good skills from work experience and I'm hopefully going to be able to redo it during the summer.

ReputationRep:
    I got one at a Bank, and it was really good. Just shoot of a letter to loads of places, lots of people will be more than willing to take you on. Don't go for huge multi-national firms though, they've got so much regulation, it's unlikely you'll get a place.

This really depends on what you want to do. Choose something relevant that may help you decide whether it's the thing for you.

Beyond that, it doesn't really matter, just make sure you make a mental note of the skills you've used, because you'll rinse them in later applcations.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, your feedback has been invaluable.

ReputationRep:
    Something that is related to what you want to do when you leave school.
    I want to work in a school with kids so i did mine in a primary school

ReputationRep:
    I applied to a load of solicitors, they all said no or didn't respond :p:
    I have since applied to the local MP.

ReputationRep:
    Pick something fun, that you'll enjoy. But make sure you find out about the hours before you sign up!! One of my mates did hers in a stables, worked from 8.30am till 5pm! Only had 2 half hour breaks and one hour for dinner! (No, we don't think it was legal...)

I worked in a nursery, it was lovely, really easy. There was a morning group and an afternoon group, morning was 9.30 till 11.30 and afternoon was 1.30 till three, so didn't do much at all!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahLouisexoxo)
    Pick something fun, that you'll enjoy. But make sure you find out about the hours before you sign up!! One of my mates did hers in a stables, worked from 8.30am till 5pm! Only had 2 half hour breaks and one hour for dinner! (No, we don't think it was legal...)

I worked in a nursery, it was lovely, really easy. There was a morning group and an afternoon group, morning was 9.30 till 11.30 and afternoon was 1.30 till three, so didn't do much at all!!
    I can imagine that with the stables. The stables I went to for work experience (not school-organised) saw me as free labour and I worked from 7am until 5pm with an hour for lunch. So basically if you want an easy work experience placement with nice hours I wouldn't recommend it hehe. I still really liked it there, I just didn't like the 6:30am start during the summer holidays haha. I got used to it though, just wish I wasn't so lazy sometimes.
    I did two days work experience in S4 at a hospital, hated it. No-one even talked to us for the two days and I think I was allowed to label one blood sample and type something into the computer. The other girl from my school there with me hated it as well.
    I did a week with the vets in S5 and LOVED it. Got to go out to do the cattle blood sampling, horse vettings and I was watching operations (saw knee surgery, the lot) as well. Really nice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.