Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone do 6 day splits? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if any of you lot do 6 day splits, or if not how many days do you do? Over summer with no job I'm free every day when I'm not out so can always fit an hour gym sesh so 6 days is fine till september but don't want to be doing a pointless extra session if not making any gains.

What do people think on all that?

ReputationRep:
    what do you train for? just to look good?

ReputationRep:
    I used to, then realised i couldn't commit so often due to work so changed to 3 full body workouts a week.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a bodybuilder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    Just wondering if any of you lot do 6 day splits, or if not how many days do you do? Over summer with no job I'm free every day when I'm not out so can always fit an hour gym sesh so 6 days is fine till september but don't want to be doing a pointless extra session if not making any gains.

What do people think on all that?
    6 days is a lot of time in the gym. If you really want to do a bodypart split, couldn't you do a more standard, 4 day split?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There are two types of people that do 6 day splits: advanced bodybuilders and skinny newbies. The skinny newbie will, in 99.9% of cases, remain a skinny newbie as long as they are on the 6 day split.

ReputationRep:
    You could do a six-day split and progress

However people often get the wrong idea of what this means

like Smack who would complain over having a "biceps" day.

The real problem comes down to how much work you do in a session,

I have a "biceps day" but I only ever train for like 20 mins and then I'm out the gym

now see a lot of people wouldn't do that, just because they would find it a bit pointless to go to the gym just for 20 mins

The better idea would be do to something like this;

Day 1 - Back and Biceps
    Day 2 - Legs and Abs
    Day 3 - Off
    Day 4 - Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
    Day 5 - Off
    Day 6 - Repeat.

This works because muscles dont always take a full week to recover, and you aren't splitting workouts to small sessions just to spread it out over the week
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I do a 4 day split followed by a run on a Friday, usually something like this:

1. Chest/Abs
    2. Back/Biceps
    3. Shoulders/Triceps
    4. Legs/Abs (with a bit more Chest too)
    5. 10km run

All seems to be working perfectly for me at the moment, only takes an hour to an hour and a half per day which I can easily fit in before or after work, depending on which shift I am doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    I do a 4 day split followed by a run on a Friday, usually something like this:

1. Chest/Abs
    2. Back/Biceps
    3. Shoulders/Triceps
    4. Legs/Abs (with a bit more Chest too)
    5. 10km run

All seems to be working perfectly for me at the moment, only takes an hour to an hour and a half per day which I can easily fit in before or after work, depending on which shift I am doing.
    Is that break not long enough between 1 and 3 though. Many exercises for shoulders/triceps, use similar muscles to the chest exercises. Not giving them the full kind of week off.

What i've heard and seen from here though is that I should maybe do 4 day or 5 day splits than 6. I don't mind as i'll just do sports those other days.

And no i'm not a bodybuilder (other poster), just a guy off uni with time on his hands.

ReputationRep:
    But you're making daft flaws like giving any given muscle a "week to recover", as if it actually needs this. A muscle will only need a "week to recover" if you blast it to **** rags until you can't even walk without it hurting like hell. And this is just stupid. You're not a pro bodybuilder who needs these high intensity smashes at any given muscle, so you dont need to dedicate sessions to small muscles and their smashing. You want to be training all the main muscles of the body, at least 2x a week, but not destroying them so that they need weeks to recover.

I like upper/lower splits like this:

A:
    Bench press
    Row
    Press
    Chins ups/Dips (Alternate each session)

B:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Step Ups/Front squats (Alternate each session)

Alternate ABA, BAB, 3x week. Rep ranges can be played about with, you can use 3x5, 4x8, 3x10, 3x15, 4x6, 3x3, all sorts. I generally focus on 3x5.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    Is that break not long enough between 1 and 3 though. Many exercises for shoulders/triceps, use similar muscles to the chest exercises. Not giving them the full kind of week off.

What i've heard and seen from here though is that I should maybe do 4 day or 5 day splits than 6. I don't mind as i'll just do sports those other days.

And no i'm not a bodybuilder (other poster), just a guy off uni with time on his hands.
    The routine I do seems to isolate the muscles, for example, seated EZ curls for biceps, along with hammer curls etc.

The progress seems good so far and I have only noticed improvements. Everyone's body is different though, so I couldn't tell you if the same would work for you, its just about experimentation I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    But you're making daft flaws like giving any given muscle a "week to recover", as if it actually needs this. A muscle will only need a "week to recover" if you blast it to **** rags until you can't even walk without it hurting like hell. And this is just stupid. You're not a pro bodybuilder who needs these high intensity smashes at any given muscle, so you dont need to dedicate sessions to small muscles and their smashing. You want to be training all the main muscles of the body, at least 2x a week, but not destroying them so that they need weeks to recover.

I like upper/lower splits like this:

A:
    Bench press
    Row
    Press
    Chins ups/Dips (Alternate each session)

B:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Step Ups/Front squats (Alternate each session)

Alternate ABA, BAB, 3x week. Rep ranges can be played about with, you can use 3x5, 4x8, 3x10, 3x15, 4x6, 3x3, all sorts. I generally focus on 3x5.
    Alot of people say you need to give rest times, I don't do the week thing, but thats what I've read so thought posting it would see what people though. I tend to give them about 4 days.

So do you never bicep curl or any isolation exercises as such, you just do them same exercises? Doesn't that get boring for you at all? (Not trolling just wondering), as I like to try different exercises and vary the routine each 6 weeks or so. But then as its summer its the only reason I wanted to see what people think of these 6 day splits, just as I'd enjoy doing it.

But think I'm swaying towards four or five days.

ReputationRep:
    I just focus on those lifts for the now. If I get bored there's zillions of variations in the form of front squats, box squats, SLDL, rack pulls, CGBP, Incline BP, Chins, pull ups or mix grip chins, muscle ups, power cleans instead of rows, all sorts. And of course there's DB or BB to consider, and also the rep ranges. There's alot of variation in there, there's only so far you can deviate from the core stuff which is tried and tested, and works.

Ie box squats are an example of good deviation and variation from back squats when you want a bit of variety and something new to try. Leg curls, adductor machines, and smashing the legs only once in a blue moon for "7 days recovery" are an example of bad deviation from the main stuff, unless of course you're a pro bodybuilder who genuinely needs to target certain areas, which no-one here is.

And so I stick to the main stuff.

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently doing a 4 day split with

Monday: Push i.e: chest ,triceps, shoulder press
    Tuesdayull i.e: biceps,back
    Fridayush
    Saturday:Pull

I also do legs and abs at the end of 3 of those workouts.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.