Turn on thread page Beta

Is the perception of quality/ranking of unis a global one? watch

ReputationRep:
    By that I mean in the UK and USA, the university you go to plays a great part on career prospects and the type of job you get. For example here, investment banks, law firms and just top companies in general specifically target and prioritise some unis more than others (those being the best ranked, most highly regarded ones i.e. Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham...the top 10-20 basically). It's the same in USA, with many employers caring more about the brand of your university from which your degree is from, giving particular significance to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT etc.
    I am aware that the name of the university is not the deciding factor, but let's face it...the countries top firms don't really target universities that aren't ranked or regarded as high.

I would just like to know whether this be the case globally? Certainly in Asia's top financial centres (Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan) I know from personal experience that just having a degree from UK is more than enough, just from that alone they are impressed and accept you. Perhaps this is because they are not as aware of the uni reputations and just take a 1st class degree from any university as being just that, a 1st class degree fullstop and hence good enough.
    I particularly know having had experience in Abu Dhabi's top investment bank that they accept pretty much anyone so long as they have the qualification, without even the need to mention the uni.

Would this be the case in europe, say Switzerland or Germany? Even taking UK graduates out of the question, do they share the same perception of their own national graduates from specific unis as being more/less able just because of the uni they are from?

ReputationRep:
    I think Uni rep is still important for investment banks in switzerland and Germany(Frankfurt), however there is less competition and everything there is smaller including salary/bonus etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just get your msc/MBA at a top instituition.... All they want is a 1.1, don't really care about your Uni or as you put it, brand, want a strong applicant wtb excellent references and solid work exp! That'll even out your undergrad Uni any day, believe me, I've seen people frm keele who have done msc's at LSE, Cass, imperial bus scl flying high now!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    Would this be the case in europe, say Switzerland or Germany? Even taking UK graduates out of the question, do they share the same perception of their own national graduates from specific unis as being more/less able just because of the uni they are from?
    Not to the extent that you might think. In Germany, people will have heard of Oxford and Cambridge (and if you went to one of those they'll be terribly impressed), but pretty much everything else will be filed under the general heading of "a UK university" in their minds and they'll be wholly unfamiliar with the reputations of universities as "general opinion" according to TSR would have it. The only possible exceptions would be LSE in an economicsy context and Imperial in a sciency one, and I suppose large companies which do a lot of international recruiting *might* be familiar with a few more names and the reputations to go with them. Generally speaking, though, German employers will not be any more impressed if you tell them you went to Durham than if you tell them you went to Manchester Met, as both universities will be equally unknown to them.
    I suppose it'll be similar in Switzerland.

ReputationRep:
    Where you get your undergraduate degree doesnt really matter to US employers. You may have a slight edge if your diploma says Ivy, MIT, Stanford, etc, but on the general whole employers don't really care. It's grad school where the institution you studied at becomes important.

And you'd be surprised about the lack of knowledge here about universities abroad. Most have heard of Oxford, less have heard of Cambridge, and then it drops off very sharply from there. Sad, I think. :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    I know in Australia its commonplace to just go to the uni that's closest to you - the whole tiered thing does not exist, and people won't move out just to go to university.

In Austria too, there seemed to be very little grading from what i heard from some austrian people once - they seemed to think theirs was just about best simply because it was the biggest . Then again, in Austria i thin they have 5 universities. When i said the UK has about 150 they were a bit :eek: . (though clearly its a different system so i'm not going to pretend that makes the UK any better lol).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.