Turn on thread page Beta

Why is feminism so negative and so hard for guys to accept? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there even any need for feminism any more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    I dont think youre in a position to tell me to shut up. If someone gave me a constructive answer, I might listen. But most people here seem to make generalisations and assume that all feminists act like men and that we all hate them and want to take over the world. What nonsense.
    Seriously, why are you so caught up with labels?

You're not a feminist, you are a reverse sexist who argues behind the guise of feminism.

You just want an excuse to have a chip on your shoulder and to be bitter at guys, who don't take kindly to random bitterness and unwarranted sexism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Seriously, why are you so caught up with labels?
    I'm not stereotyping against certain types of people, unlike others.

ReputationRep:
    Its cause feminists are so eager to go on about how hard they get it, a mean one feminist on yahoo answers was going on about how in war woman suffer more. wtf?

Everyone suffers in a war, but she wants to gender specify the thing.

if anything men suffer more from a war obv. ..yea women have to be at home worryin an grieving, but it the men that are actually there experiancing it.

anyway yea that feminist pissed me off ..i wanted to clasp her eyes open an make her stare at a penis (maybe even my own) for 12hrs straight ..just to see what would happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    I'm not stereotyping against certain types of people, unlike others.
    No I mean why is it so important to call yourself anything and to have others not see that label negatively?

ReputationRep:
    In my very first University lecture, our lecturer told us to stand us if we were feminists. Hardly anyone stood up. She then said, "Stand up if you believe woman should have equal pay. Stand up if you believe woman have the right to birth control." Most people stood up, and she said, "See, most of you are all feminists. It's just the way language has been interpretted that makes people think of it differently." OP, I think it's just the general consensus is that feminists are extremists, maybe because they've labelled themselves? I don't really know. I guess a lot of people are perfectly fine with woman's rights and everything, but just have a general view that anyone who proclaims themselves as a feminist is trying to separate themselves from men and more extreme views. In Westernised society, females usually are treated well, in terms of pay and equal opportunities for education, so there's really no need to declare yourself as a "feminist".

(Original post by CapturedSoul)
    In my very first University lecture, our lecturer told us to stand us if we were feminists. Hardly anyone stood up. She then said, "Stand up if you believe woman should have equal pay. Stand up if you believe woman have the right to birth control." Most people stood up, and she said, "See, most of you are all feminists. It's just the way language has been interpretted that makes people think of it differently." OP, I think it's just the general consensus is that feminists are extremists, maybe because they've labelled themselves? I don't really know. I guess a lot of people are perfectly fine with woman's rights and everything, but just have a general view that anyone who proclaims themselves as a feminist is trying to separate themselves from men and more extreme views. In Westernised society, females usually are treated well, in terms of pay and equal opportunities for education, so there's really no need to declare yourself as a "feminist".
    Sure, that applies in general, but Eva2 is not one of them. She just wants a reason to argue with guys, identify with the aggrieved party and judge others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    No I mean why is it so important to call yourself anything and to have others not see that label negatively?
    It's not, i just fail to see WHY they view it as negative. Perhaps I would understand if people actually knew what feminism is.

(Original post by Eva2)
    It's not, i just fail to see WHY they view it as negative. Perhaps I would understand if people actually knew what feminism is.
    People don't neccessarily view feminism as negative, just your ultraradical bigoted and judgemental approach to it.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you do tend to sound a little aggressive with the whole feminism thing. I am a feminist, and not ashamed of it, but I don't use it to define who I am - whereas your profile is all about feminism, how women are oppressed, etc. I agree that people use a few bad apples to define the whole movement, which undermines what feminism is really supposed to stand for and all the positive progression it has already made happen, but I don't really know what this thread is supposed to achieve. In the end, most guys IRL are quite happy for women to have equal rights and all that, and whilst I still think women (and men) suffer from entrenched sexist attitudes in society, it will take time for that to change.

ReputationRep:
    OP I have to agree with alot of the people on here your first post seemed overly aggressive and to a point seemed like you adhere to the idea taht all guys are childish frat boys taht just wanna get in your pants. THAT is why we get annoyed that is why we are against it because every "feminist" most of us encounter wants to is hardcore if you want us to believe its not all extremist out there prove it you're not doing a good job so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    OP, you do tend to sound a little aggressive with the whole feminism thing. I am a feminist, and not ashamed of it, but I don't use it to define who I am - whereas your profile is all about feminism, how women are oppressed, etc. I agree that people use a few bad apples to define the whole movement, which undermines what feminism is really supposed to stand for and all the positive progression it has already made happen, but I don't really know what this thread is supposed to achieve. In the end, most guys IRL are quite happy for women to have equal rights and all that, and whilst I still think women (and men) suffer from entrenched sexist attitudes in society, it will take time for that to change.
    No it isn't. I only make a very short reference to it.

(Original post by Jelkin)
    This!

Forceful feminism is way past its sell by date, especially when your target "audience" already agrees with you.

ReputationRep:
    The soap box days are over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    I don't think it's worth the effort arguing over a definition. Your first post was pretty inflammatory, and now you're arguing over a definition. That kind of makes you seem petty, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    I dont think youre in a position to tell me to shut up. If someone gave me a constructive answer, I might listen. But most people here seem to make generalisations and assume that all feminists act like men and that we all hate them and want to take over the world. What nonsense.
    i ask that you go back and look at my original post (and many others), "there are a few very irritating feminists who just bash all males". This means that most are fine, in fact a lot of guys support equal rights (myself included), however there are militant feminists and fools who want superior rights in the guise of equal rights. These are the people who destroy the image of the feminist movement in the eyes of myself and many others. And frankly, this is an internet forum and thus he is in the position to tell you to shut up.

Furthermore, your attitude toward the large amount of constructive posts make me think you are a troll or one of those irritating feminists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    No it isn't. I only make a very short reference to it.
    You say that, but it takes up the majority of the "bio" section, which is the only bit people really read. Tbh it sounds a bit sexist (misandristic?), with that bit about men being careless and ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumperBo)
    Not to mention that much of the time feminism tries to argue against scientifically proven facts, like how men are more physically fit than women on average... and they always scream BIAS BIGOTRY OPPRESSION whenever someone tries to disagree...
    Find me an actual female who thinks that the average woman is as physically strong as the average man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirandrew)
    i ask that you go back and look at my original post (and many others), "there are a few very irritating feminists who just bash all males". This means that most are fine, in fact a lot of guys support equal rights (myself included), however there are militant feminists and fools who want superior rights in the guise of equal rights. These are the people who destroy the image of the feminist movement in the eyes of myself and many others. And frankly, this is an internet forum and thus he is in the position to tell you to shut up. Furthermore, your attitude toward the large amount of constructive posts make me think you are a troll or one of those irritating feminists.
    No, he hasn't. Just because it's a stupid forum doesnt mean people should be disrespected.
    And I'm not a troll.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.