Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm work full time at a cinema over the holidays. Yesterday on my day off work rang and left a message asking if i would like to come in to work, as they were anticipating it being busy. I didn't take the call as i was still in bed (lazy i know, but i was working until 3am the previous night), and by the time i woke up i thought it would be pointless going into work, and also, after working a 42 hour week i didn't really feel like going in on my day off. However they rang me this evening (i missed the call again), and i'm not sure why they rang. I won't get into trouble for not going into work yesterday, or for not answering their call will i? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Just make up a lie if you do. Say there was a family emergency and you couldnt call back if you get in trouble but I don't think they would give you into trouble
    Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    You probably won't get in any trouble if you weren't supposed to work when they rang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becca_mae57)
    You probably won't get in any trouble if you weren't supposed to work when they rang.
    :ditto: How are they to know that you weren't just away for the day?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks . It's not like i don't help them out if they need it, i work full time but this week did 7 more hours because it was busy, i just wanted some time to myself. I wasn't scheduled to work, it was my day off. Hopefully i will be ok, i just got worried when i saw another missed call from work on my phone this evening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    :ditto: How are they to know that you weren't just away for the day?
    I suppose. I just got worried when i saw another missed call from them at about 11 ish this evening.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you were at a friend's house and had left your phone at home. :indiff: You're not 'on call'!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, your life is your life, it doesn't (shouldn't) revolve around a stupid cinema.
    Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    dont worry about work on your time of, they pay you and in return you do a good job for them! they dont own you. simply say you missed the call, and if they dont believe you or act like knobs, don't back down or take any crap!

i hate employees who think they own you

life and fun before work!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, i will just say i missed the call. I just felt bad as well for not doing anything, but it is my scheduled day off. I just wanted to make certain that i couldn't get into any trouble for not coming in or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Thanks everyone, i will just say i missed the call. I just felt bad as well for not doing anything, but it is my scheduled day off. I just wanted to make certain that i couldn't get into any trouble for not coming in or anything.
    Unless it says in your contract that they can call you in on your day off and you have to attend, you're not going to get in trouble for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Unless it says in your contract that they can call you in on your day off and you have to attend, you're not going to get in trouble for it!
    I don't think so and i hope not. That's not usually in someone's contract is it? I mean they did just ring and ask if i could come in, they didn't say i had to. It should be ok shouldn't it? :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    I don't think so and i hope not. That's not usually in someone's contract is it? I mean they did just ring and ask if i could come in, they didn't say i had to. It should be ok shouldn't it? :redface:
    I very much doubt it would be, it's exceptionally unusual for something like that to be part of someone's Ts&Cs, and you would have had to specifically agree to it hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    I very much doubt it would be, it's exceptionally unusual for something like that to be part of someone's Ts&Cs, and you would have had to specifically agree to it hehe.
    Ah good, well i didn't specifically agree to it, i'm hoping no one will say anything today when i go in. Thanks for your help .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.