Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do the AHRC figure the "start date" and "end date" of funding awards? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I am receiving funding from the AHRC to do an M.A. in History at York, beginning this October. I'm currently trying to figure out exactly how much I will be awarded.

The Council's own website offers a rates calculator (note: clicking this link will open an .xls document). However, to use this calculator to figure out the exact value of an award, one first needs to know the "start date" and "end date" for the relevant award. I don't know this, and will not be given the information until I receive my formal acceptance letter.

Can anyone, perhaps someone who is currently receiving or has in the past received AHRC funding, tell me how the two dates are figured? Are they equal to the first day of your course's first term and the final day of its last term? Are the dates "rounded" so as to fall at the beginning/end of a particular month? Are there standard dates for all awards?

I will ask York's postgraduate department at some point. But it might seem slightly presumptuous to ask this question without actually having an acceptance letter (obviously I've been nominated and have submitted my nomination document).

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's first date of the month you start and last date of the month of you finish. My award this year was paid out on 7/10/08 and every 7th til the 7th Sept 09.

ReputationRep:
    Right. So was the 7th the first day of term for you? Or do they just choose the last day of the first week of the month?

Also, I was under the impression that the money was paid quarterly. Is that not the case, then?

ReputationRep:
    The AHRC has set amounts for MA and PhD funding - current MA rate is £9280 outside of London for ALL Research Preparation Master's courses so the calculator's pointless as everyone get the same! It is paid quarterly and according to what's online it's based on the start date of the 1st of October for 09/10 and finishes on the 30/9/10 as most MA courses will start the week before (outside of Oxford and Cambridge):

October - £2339.07
    January - £2288.22
    April - £2313.64
    July - £2339.07

No idea on what actual date it'll be paid though. Congrats on getting funding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    The AHRC has set amounts for MA and PhD funding - current MA rate is £9280 outside of London for ALL Research Preparation Master's courses so the calculator's pointless as everyone get the same! It is paid quarterly and according to what's online it's based on the start date of the 1st of October for 09/10 and finishes on the 30/9/10 as most MA courses will start the week before (outside of Oxford and Cambridge):

October - £2339.07
    January - £2288.22
    April - £2313.64
    July - £2339.07

Thanks a lot for the information (and the congratulation). Considering my course ends at the start of July, I feel slightly guilty about receiving funding for a three month period during which I'll be either at home or doing a PhD somewhere. But I'll probably get over it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bread and Circlejerks)
    Thanks a lot for the information (and the congratulation). Considering my course ends at the start of July, I feel slightly guilty about receiving funding for a three month period during which I'll be either at home or doing a PhD somewhere. But I'll probably get over it...
    I wouldn't complain Is your dissertation due in that early then? Most MA History courses finish in June as in no teaching/essays due in and then the dissertation is due in in the September. I don't know of many (I'm a History MA student myself currently) MA courses that finish completely at the start of the summer, bar Oxford's MSt and PhDs don't start until the new academic year. I'd double check as you may well need that money.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if it's the same for PhD money? I've been submitted for BGP, and my course is meant to start on the 28th September. It'd be quite handy to know when I'll be able to afford rent you see :tongue:

Also, anyone know how long the AHRC take to confirm (or, indeed, reject) people put up for BGP?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't complain Is your dissertation due in that early then? Most MA History courses finish in June as in no teaching/essays due in and then the dissertation is due in in the September.
    Ah -- that's a good point. I was going by York's term dates, and I completely bracketed out the possibility that there are deadlines for after the end of term (which is July 2nd). You're probably right -- I imagine the dissertation hand-in date is sometime after that.

ReputationRep:

October - £2339.07
    January - £2288.22
    April - £2313.64
    July - £2339.07

Just to follow up --

I got my acceptance letter today, and the above information isn't accurate in my case. My funding "end date" is the 30th of June. Therefore, I don't receive a July payment.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.