Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a some sport injuries that I'd like be looked after. How much do PT's cost? Or are they part of the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    you can self-refer for free on the NHS atm in some areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    you can self-refer for free on the NHS atm in some areas
    Awesome. What do physios do anyway? Do they massage your body etc?

ReputationRep:
    you can usually get a referal on the NHS to a physio therapy clinic, but bear in mind this may take a while and if you have a time window to rehab the injury this may not be an option. What kind of sport injuries are we talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarmEye)
    Awesome. What do physios do anyway? Do they massage your body etc?

ummm, ive only seen one once, and we did a few excercises, and i got some to go home with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    you can usually get a referal on the NHS to a physio therapy clinic, but bear in mind this may take a while and if you have a time window to rehab the injury this may not be an option. What kind of sport injuries are we talking about?
    It's nothing big, it's an archilles tendon problem. Is there a waiting list or something?

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing big, it's an archilles tendon problem. Is there a waiting list or something?
    I'd go ASAP. I had an achilles tendon problem and I waited so long it just got worse. It was close to rupturing at one point and nearly 3 years later it's still screwed up!

Do the opposite of what I did; stop waiting for the "professional" GP to help and take the initiative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theciz)
    I'd go ASAP. I had an achilles tendon problem and I waited so long it just got worse. It was close to rupturing at one point and nearly 3 years later it's still screwed up!

Do the opposite of what I did; stop waiting for the "professional" GP to help and take the initiative!
    Cheers lol.

ReputationRep:
    there's usually a fairly long waiting list, you could always opt for a sports massage, can be pricey, but more colleges offer them by students (supervised of course) which are alot cheaper and definitely worth looking into

ReputationRep:
    Private physio cost say around £35-40 for an intial 45/60 mins first appointment then around £25-35 for 30mins appoints thereafter.

If it's not urgent, go to a GP and demand to be refered to a physio. GPs are extremely poor when it comes to sport injuries so you will want to ignore most of the advice they give you as some will positive harm you and keep pressing for the referral. It will take from 1-3 months to have an appointment with NHS physio. then you can have appointments until your problem is resolved.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's ****** up.

ReputationRep:
    If you are going for a NHS physio definatley go to the GP ASAP for a referal as the waiting lists are very long sometimes

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.