Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I’m feeling really low. I have, over the past 24 hours, thought about suicide. I have a long history of depression, self harm and suicide attempts. I saw my GP on Friday and they’ve put an urgent referral into the local psychiatric hospital (again). I’m back to see my GP next week and hopefully the Psychiatric team will see me in the next couple of weeks (it was within a week last time).

I’ve tried phoning the Samaritans and Breathing Space, but I found both to be pretty useless. I don’t want to have to phone the doctors out; because it wasn’t pleasant the last time I did that. I just don’t know what to do.

I’m just struggling to cope with all the stresses and pressures going on just now. I can’t seem to shake this depression off for any longer than a few months at a time.

I snapped at work on Friday and acted in a really inappropriate way which could have put myself and others at risk – I’m lucky they didn’t sack me on the spot.

Uni isn’t going well; the depression keeps stopping me in my tracks. I’m about to fail second year for a second time because I just have no motivation thanks to the way I feel.

I just feel like ending it all sometimes. I’ve so far resisted the urge to harm myself, but I don’t know how long I can keep going on like that because it is getting stronger and stronger...

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: you're getting help that's what's important. Hopefully they'll be able to see you soon and help you out. Are you taking medication or anything?

I know exactly what you mean about depression making uni hard, I'm on my 3rd attempt because of it, ******* sucks. Have you told your uni about your depression? they can make arrangements to take the stress off a bit for you and stuff to really help you out.

As for right now, what have you tried doing to take your mind off how you're feeling? You could watch a disney film or take a nice bath, listen to music, play music, whatever, just do what makes you feel good to try to get yourself away from these feelings.

If you need to talk to someone I'm about a while.

I understand you completely as I think i'm going to get commited this week, which im really scared about
    If its that bad go and you think your going to attempt suicide again go to the ER and they should be able to admit you to the psychiatric hospital immediately.

I just feel really lost. I'm not me, I hate this person who I see when I'm depressed.

I'm not exaggerating it. I've attempted suicide on a number of occassions before because of my depression and I've been sectioned in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you feel that way OP, please don't commit suicide I'm sure it will get better :console: . If you need someone to talk to you can pm me any time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I’m feeling really low. I have, over the past 24 hours, thought about suicide. I have a long history of depression, self harm and suicide attempts. I saw my GP on Friday and they’ve put an urgent referral into the local psychiatric hospital (again). I’m back to see my GP next week and hopefully the Psychiatric team will see me in the next couple of weeks (it was within a week last time).

I’ve tried phoning the Samaritans and Breathing Space, but I found both to be pretty useless. I don’t want to have to phone the doctors out; because it wasn’t pleasant the last time I did that. I just don’t know what to do.

I’m just struggling to cope with all the stresses and pressures going on just now. I can’t seem to shake this depression off for any longer than a few months at a time.

I snapped at work on Friday and acted in a really inappropriate way which could have put myself and others at risk – I’m lucky they didn’t sack me on the spot.

Uni isn’t going well; the depression keeps stopping me in my tracks. I’m about to fail second year for a second time because I just have no motivation thanks to the way I feel.

I just feel like ending it all sometimes. I’ve so far resisted the urge to harm myself, but I don’t know how long I can keep going on like that because it is getting stronger and stronger...
    I would say go see your doctor monday, if you dont have the motivation make yourself.How are you spending your time right now? is it your holidays yet.What kind of music do you like? and are you taking any medication? Sex will make it worse possibily hu ever suggested that unless your an easy going person hu dusnt get attached .. (well a person hu can dettach themselves) lol. Do you have a bf?

ReputationRep:
    hi

im really sorry that you are feeling this way and i hope things get better.
    life is what we make of it and evrytime you get a bad thought then please try to remeber that you have the power to change it.
    its good that you are getting help for the way you feel, and sometimes just getting everything out abotu what it going on can feel like a huge weight of your sholders. i wont act like i know how it feels as i dont know your situation, and what has gone on in your life but all i can say is that there are things that you can do to help whats going on. talk to uni and ask for time off, explain the situation and they may even have a a support network at the uni itself. can you talk to your manager at work and ask for time off on the sick. you still get paid and your doctor can write a doctors note to your employer who can either give you time off if you want it, or can try to offer support if your at work.
    if you en it all then you will never be able to enjoy life when it gets better, and it will get better. you have so much more to enjoy about life and things that you can do.

ReputationRep:
    your stroy is soooo much like mine. i am about to fail my second year at uni for the second time too--if i dont take everything seriously very soon. my life too has fallen from to grace to disgrace. nothing motivates me anymore; i was once a very bright person....and i feel suicidal every now and again. So i can understand the situation ur in. My best advice though is try to pull the traits in you that make u strong. there must be something. and try and hold on to it. the reason/s why u want to commit suicide or have depression fr cannot probably be self-reasoned out so dont attempt it if thats the case. just pull the things in you that makes/made u strong...and try and hold to them long as u can. use them to help move u forward in life. and after a while (a few days, maybe a week) of not gone back to depression you're mind will then be in a state of reasoning why u felt suicidal etc and why u shouldn't do so! all the best!

(Original post by Kutie)
    I would say go see your doctor monday, if you dont have the motivation make yourself.How are you spending your time right now? is it your holidays yet.What kind of music do you like? and are you taking any medication? Sex will make it worse possibily hu ever suggested that unless your an easy going person hu dusnt get attached .. (well a person hu can dettach themselves) lol. Do you have a bf?
    I'm spending it in my bed and reading my bible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way OP.
    All credit to you though, in the midst of it you're very articulate. I know when it's really bad for me I just make no sense.
    I don't know what to say other than that I do genuinely empathise, I have experienced very similar and know how impossible it feels.
    Do you have any friends who can relate, supportive family members, anything like that?
    When I'm really low and know nothing I can do will get me out of that state, I literally focus on the little things that I like, for example hot chocolate, or a nice bath, the fact that you never know what the next day will bring and sometimes it can be wonderful people and experiences. (Amelie is an amazing film for proving this, I love it ).
    Sometimes when you're just feeling empty, aching and wanting to die, little distractions like "wow, this hot chocolate tastes good" is the only thing that keep you going. So embrace those kinds of things, whatever they might be for you.
    I also find that when I'm feeling like that, a walk will ALWAYS help. Being stuck in my room/ house will make me feel worse and feel trapped with my feelings, but going out and getting some fresh air and getting some distraction in the form of nature or walking through town, anything, does good things.
    Nothing anyone else says can really help as nothing can take away the pain but know that you will get through this and you do have many good experiences left to have.
    Feel free to PM if you need anything.

ReputationRep:
    OP this is a genuine question; would a hug helps if you feel depressed or something?

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring a few of the stupid remarks on here, i think you are going about things in the right way, you are envolving your GP making sure that you have help on the horizon and really wanting to get some help, that is half the battle at times, people dont feel inclined to see their GP and suffer in silence, it takes alot for some people to register things and go to the GP.

As for now, is there someone that you can talk to when you need someone, they may be able to try and support you enough till you get an appointment with the psych team. If it is as quick as you have said then it may not be for so long. Do you parents know about all the problems, as they could be alot of help aswell. Try and stick in there and just remember not to do anything to hurt yourself as you will regret it later on and there is a light at the end of the tunnel with the right medication and support.

ReputationRep:
    I'm spending it in my bed and reading my bible.
    O ryt do you not have any friends?
    I would watch some t.v and keep your mind occupied t.v shows you like like eastenders, hollyoaks, desperate housewives so you mind is stimulated otherwise you will just lie there thinking, feeing bad I suppose. Dont stay in bed more than 1 or 2 days. Get up and do something.

(Original post by Kutie)
    O ryt do you not have any friends?
    I would watch some t.v and keep your mind occupied t.v shows you like like eastenders, hollyoaks, desperate housewives so you mind is stimulated otherwise you will just lie there thinking, feeing bad I suppose. Dont stay in bed more than 1 or 2 days. Get up and do something.
    I have plenty of friends...

I'm going to try and go to the evening service at Church this evening, see some friends and maybe try and talk to one of the pastors.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been given numbers for your local Crisis Resolution Team? Because you can call them and they can come out to you when you're in 'crisis' much as the name suggests. It'll be quicker than waiting to see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    I have plenty of friends...

I'm going to try and go to the evening service at Church this evening, see some friends and maybe try and talk to one of the pastors.
    What makes you feel you need to go to church?

(Original post by Kutie)
    What makes you feel you need to go to church?
    It would be what I normally do on a Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    It would be what I normally do on a Sunday.
    No i said what makes you want to go do you normally go. What do your friends say?

(Original post by Kutie)
    No i said what makes you want to go do you normally go. What do your friends say?
    My belief in God and Jesus. I love the community feeling, I love getting together with other Christians to priase and worship God.

I haven't really spoken to my friends about everything that is going on.

ReputationRep:
    If you love our Lord and Saviour then why would you commit the biggest sin that we as Christians can do? I understand that you are severly upset but this isn't the way to go. Would it be possible to take a gap year in Uni because it sounds like the stress of it is getting to you, thus affecting your ability to concentrate.

As you said yourself, you have plenty of friends and I'm sure that they would be devastated if you were to die and well your parents would feel like crap for having failed you.

Is there someone you can confide in, someone who has been in a similar situation to yourself? If so then talk to them and let it all out.

Look forward to your reply.

God bless you x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.