Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My belief in God and Jesus. I love the community feeling, I love getting together with other Christians to priase and worship God.

I haven't really spoken to my friends about everything that is going on.
    What sort of church is it? Priests and ministers are generally good people to talk to, so long as your not a little boy and they're not an old man (lol kidding).

Obviously you've got a lot of enthusiasm for your church, do you think it might be worth taking a year out of uni to take that further? Getting more involved perhaps volunteering with the church or helping out at sunday school maybe. I know that's stuff you could do whilst at uni but taking a year out would maybe give you time to release a lot of the stress because of uni.

Good luck however you deal with it, you seem intelligent enough, although it does seem to be the more intelligent that get hit with depression.

(Original post by Thomasmc135)
    If you love our Lord and Saviour then why would you commit the biggest sin that we as Christians can do? I understand that you are severly upset but this isn't the way to go. Would it be possible to take a gap year in Uni because it sounds like the stress of it is getting to you, thus affecting your ability to concentrate.

As you said yourself, you have plenty of friends and I'm sure that they would be devastated if you were to die and well your parents would feel like crap for having failed you.

Is there someone you can confide in, someone who has been in a similar situation to yourself? If so then talk to them and let it all out.

Look forward to your reply.

God bless you x
    I've only been at uni part-time this year trying to pass the modules that I have outstanding from last year when depression caused all sorts of problems. Because I've been part-time and my university is 130 miles away from my family I have had to work full-time on top of this in order to supoprt myself to ensure I can complete these outstanding modules. So, taking a year out of uni wouldn't be a solution because I'd come back to all the same problems. Once I pass these two outstanding modules and get back to uni full time in September a lot of my stresses will dissapear.

When you're as depressed as I am and have been in the past, very little matters to you. The emotional pain and lonliness that you feel is so great that you just feel like ending it all. Despite having felt like it on a number of occassions I haven't attempted suicide during this episode of depression (it was my last episode that lead me to God).

I went to Church yesterday and was helped greatly. When I left Church yesterday evening I felt the happiest I'd been in quite some months, but I'm still very, very low.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been at uni part-time this year trying to pass the modules that I have outstanding from last year when depression caused all sorts of problems. Because I've been part-time and my university is 130 miles away from my family I have had to work full-time on top of this in order to supoprt myself to ensure I can complete these outstanding modules. So, taking a year out of uni wouldn't be a solution because I'd come back to all the same problems. Once I pass these two outstanding modules and get back to uni full time in September a lot of my stresses will dissapear.

When you're as depressed as I am and have been in the past, very little matters to you. The emotional pain and lonliness that you feel is so great that you just feel like ending it all. Despite having felt like it on a number of occassions I haven't attempted suicide during this episode of depression (it was my last episode that lead me to God).

I went to Church yesterday and was helped greatly. When I left Church yesterday evening I felt the happiest I'd been in quite some months, but I'm still very, very low.
    That's good to hear (the part about being happy) and I'm sorry that I can't relate to the actual depression because I think i've only been low twice in the last 5 years and even then it was only because I lost some family.

I can understand what you're saying and I can only hope that uni ends soon so that you can have a bit of a rest and clear your head. Do you do confession at church?

That's good to hear (the part about being happy) and I'm sorry that I can't relate to the actual depression because I think i've only been low twice in the last 5 years and even then it was only because I lost some family.

I can understand what you're saying and I can only hope that uni ends soon so that you can have a bit of a rest and clear your head. Do you do confession at church?
    Thank you. It's okay - it's hard to relate to depression unless you've had it yourself.

We don't have a formal confession at church.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. It's okay - it's hard to relate to depression unless you've had it yourself.

We don't have a formal confession at church.
    Oh okay, do you know anyone you can talk to on campus like a group or something? Just in case it gets bad again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie)
    O ryt do you not have any friends?
    I would watch some t.v and keep your mind occupied t.v shows you like like eastenders, hollyoaks, desperate housewives so you mind is stimulated otherwise you will just lie there thinking, feeing bad I suppose. Dont stay in bed more than 1 or 2 days. Get up and do something.
    This comment REALLY annoyed me! I know it was said with the best of intentions (well i hope!) but generally unless you've experienced depression you can't possibly know how hard this can be sometimes...

But op, it sounds like u are doing the right things...the most important but hardest thing to do is letting others know how you are feeling but u have overcome this!

Just please remember that there are good times as well as bad and you have to embrace them and hold on with all your might to get u through the most crappiest times

x

Oh okay, do you know anyone you can talk to on campus like a group or something? Just in case it gets bad again.
    There are.

Today has been a bit of a mixed day, but before I went to bed I opened up my bible and found myself being led to Psalm 23, which I found most comforting. A really good Psalm reminding us of the confidence we should have in the care and grace of God.

On top of that I managed to get out this afternoon for half an hour or so, which was good - took my mind of the thoughts I was having to self harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura H)
    This comment REALLY annoyed me! I know it was said with the best of intentions (well i hope!) but generally unless you've experienced depression you can't possibly know how hard this can be sometimes...

But op, it sounds like u are doing the right things...the most important but hardest thing to do is letting others know how you are feeling but u have overcome this!

Just please remember that there are good times as well as bad and you have to embrace them and hold on with all your might to get u through the most crappiest times

x
    was actually yer i do and yea its difficult. But you can get deeper and deeper into it by not doing nothing and staying in bed!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    There are.

Today has been a bit of a mixed day, but before I went to bed I opened up my bible and found myself being led to Psalm 23, which I found most comforting. A really good Psalm reminding us of the confidence we should have in the care and grace of God.

On top of that I managed to get out this afternoon for half an hour or so, which was good - took my mind of the thoughts I was having to self harm.
    That's good. I wish you well, if you ever need any help or anything PM me and I will respond.

ReputationRep:
    Can you also go to your doctor and let them know how things are progressing? I'm sure he would like to hear from you too, and also try to offer you more help as things are looking difficult for you at the moment?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.