Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they should make different ethnicities do the same events with their own ethnics? It's not fair that black people have genetics which are superior to whites in some events, and vica versa.

ReputationRep:
    Evolve harder? Idk what to tell ya survival of the fittest rules we can't just make laws and rules to get around it

ReputationRep:
    trollllll

ReputationRep:
    racist

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not fair but we can't change it.

And no, if you're talking about sport then the best people should compete, whatever race they are.

ReputationRep:
    No, but whatcha gona do?

You've just gotta take what you've got and live with it. Whether it's good, bad or indifferent.

ReputationRep:
    No thats silly. Whatever the sport the person who performs best should be rewarded, it shouldn't matter what colour they are. For example, usually sprinting is dominated by black athletes, whereas things like swimming are usually dominated by white athletes, its just the way it is.

This just sounds like a lets make a law because we suck whine. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I see your point and it makes sense. Also it raises the future ethical concern of designer babies. People might want to program their children to be great athletes, etc. It definitely takes more than genes to be a top athlete - mainly the desire, which doesn't just come naturally and probably can't be induced. That's why there are sports psychologists, they try to motivate athletes to do their very best and try harder, despite the fact that, maybe, some of them don't even have the good genes.

Given these factors, we can be pretty sure that genes aren't everything and certainly don't limit people. Personally I couldn't really find a solution to the problem. There's no way we could separate people in sports by race - they are already separated by sex, but we can't go like this forever, we'd end up with one single athlete winning the race before competing because the others have bad genes which naturally bias them negatively. So you get my point, there's not much we can do about it, though we should not give all the credit to genes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarmEye)
    Do you think they should make different ethnicities do the same events with their own ethnics? It's not fair that black people have genetics which are superior to whites in some events, and vica versa.
    But what about mixed race athletes? It would be impossible to tell if they had the good at athletics genes or the bad at athletics genes, so wouldyou just disqualify them completely?

ReputationRep:
    You could argue that these superior genetics (with regard to black people) in sporting events came about by in large from a sustained policy of breeding through slavery, implemented by white slave masters.

That kinda out trumps you on the 'fairness' thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banquo)
    You could argue that these superior genetics (with regard to black people) in sporting events came about by in large from a sustained policy of breeding through slavery, implemented by white slave masters.
    Unfortunately not since Black people were reproducing way before the white man decided to enslave them.

Either way the original idea is severely misguided and/or racist.

ReputationRep:
    mendel says yes
    segregation distorters say no

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question. It's not for fitness though. Take it to D&D.

ReputationRep:
    blacks and whites? I like your scientific terminology of dividing the world into two groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
    Unfortunately not since Black people were reproducing way before the white man decided to enslave them.

Either way the original idea is severely misguided and/or racist.
    I'm aware that they were reproducing before slavery but it still has huge implications for where we are today.

Take America, for example. The eugenics policy of breeding the strongest slaves whilst killing off the smartest ones led to the slave population being top heavy in favour of power and strength; athleticism, basically. It's no accident that the major American sports, with the exception of ice hockey, are dominated by black men. They only make up twelve percent of the country's population, but when you consider their representation in baseball, basketball and American football, it's far higher than twelve percent and definitely above fifty. It's quite feasible to think that these two things are related in some way, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    Last time I checked east Africans dominated long distance events. But as far I know they were not the main casualties of the transatlantic slave trade. So how did the white slave masters' programme of selective breeding through slavery bring about their athleticism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    But what about mixed race athletes? It would be impossible to tell if they had the good at athletics genes or the bad at athletics genes, so wouldyou just disqualify them completely?
    appaz it's all just down to stacking etc etc and stereotypes because black and white people have stereotypically been put into different sports or events and not down to genetics at all, race-wise anyway. s'what i learnt for my a level anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure as **** that I'm going to get neg repped to bits for this, but when you look at it, there is some evidence behind the whole "scientific racism" thing. Examples being average IQs etc... in essence that Asians are "more evolved" (for reference I'm white.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banquo)

That kinda out trumps you on the 'fairness' thing.
    East africans = best marathon runners.

East africans were never involved in the slave trade.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.