Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixx)
    Last time I checked east Africans dominated long distance events. But as far I know they were not the main casualties of the transatlantic slave trade. So how did the white slave masters' programme of selective breeding through slavery bring about their athleticism?
    I'm not saying that every sporting success can be traced back to slavery. Just that is has implications in some events.

For long distance running you don't require as much strength and power as short distance runners, hence why the runners are smaller. Speaking of which, The top ten fastest men of all time in the 100 metres are all black, and nine out of ten of the 200 metres are black, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
    Unfortunately not since Black people were reproducing way before the white man decided to enslave them.

Either way the original idea is severely misguided and/or racist.
    Black people from all countries, not just America, generally beat white people at sprinting. It's not because they were bred that way, but because they evolved that way.

And how would that explain why white people are better at swimming? Europeans were never selectively bred to be good swimmers, it's just how they evolved.

Anyway, OP - I don't think there's any need to have categories for different ethnicities. The advantage of a black runner over a whote one is probably less than the advantage of a male over a female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by countingto29)
    appaz it's all just down to stacking etc etc and stereotypes because black and white people have stereotypically been put into different sports or events and not down to genetics at all, race-wise anyway. s'what i learnt for my a level anyway!
    I think that's a huge liberal lie.

Maybe it's true to say that white people generally have more opportunity to do sports like sailing and showjumping, but for things like running and swimming?

ReputationRep:
    genetics are unfair. lifes unfair. get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Also, can I add, before the negging undoubtedly begins that I'm playing Devil's Advocate in this thread and stating that it's a theory (which has been addressed and argued over for decades in many books and articles) rather than fact.

Just getting that in before the whole 'ur a rasialistz!!' comments come flying in.

ReputationRep:
    My argument is that the slave trade doesn't fully explain why certain populations are superior in certain sporting events. As far as I know, slaves were still restricted to breeding amongst one another - so they had the same selection of mates that they would have had if they had not been transported into slavery. I will not claim to be any great mind in biology but I don't think anyone would argue with me when I say that genes do not magically appear. Yes, mutations can occur and if they happen to be beneficial to a population in a certain environment they may spread within a population but in this case it would be very unlikely that the exact same characteristics would also be so prevalent amongst the population of west Africans who were not shipped from their homeland.

In summary, I think suggesting that the slave trade is a significant reason as to why black people dominate in some sporting events is just an instance of the eagerness of white people to take credit for successes of other races that have very little if anything to do with them.

But then again I could be wrong and feel free to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    East africans = best marathon runners.

East africans were never involved in the slave trade.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

ReputationRep:
    Well, everyone's good at something. White people are good at shooting events. Black people are good at running events.

On a more serious note, environment has an effect on it too. In some places in Ethiopia, people have to travel long distances daily if they want to go to school, get water, etc. Also, a lot of the people live higher up on the mountains, which develops their oxygen intake better. Of course if - like in Britain - the only excercise you get is the walk to the local chipshop... you're not going to be an olympic gold medalist.

ReputationRep:
    Black people are better dancers too. There should be white only clubs so I can get laid more often.

ReputationRep:
    East africans = best marathon runners.

East africans were never involved in the slave trade.
    Yes, but if slaves were selectively bred, it was to be strong and do more work. Not to look like stupid anorexic marathon-running weaklings. A slave that size would be almost useless and not worth much; a house slave. They wouldn't have let him/her breed if they had the control.

They would've bred the biggest strongest slaves to get bigger and stronger slaves. Hence better athletes.

I don't know if I believe this has had a significant impact on the fact that black people are generally faster/stronger at some sports. I'm just challenging your notion.

And as an aside...

Marathon running is a useless stupid waste-of-time activity in the modern world. It serves no purpose and is not useful in anyway. Marathon runners look stupid and are useless people as a whole. Strength is much more important in today's world. No one needs to run 26 miles; it's not practical, useful or efficient.

/MARATHON RANT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Yes, but if slaves were selectively bred, it was to be strong and do more work. Not to look like stupid anorexic marathon-running weaklings. A slave that size would be almost useless and not worth much; a house slave. They wouldn't have let him/her breed if they had the control.

They would've bred the biggest strongest slaves to get bigger and stronger slaves. Hence better athletes.

I don't know if I believe this has had a significant impact on the fact that black people are generally faster/stronger at some sports. I'm just challenging your notion.

And as an aside...

Marathon running is a useless stupid waste-of-time activity in the modern world. It serves no purpose and is not useful in anyway. Marathon runners look stupid and are useless people as a whole. Strength is much more important in today's world. No one needs to run 26 miles; it's not practical, useful or efficient.

/MARATHON RANT
    Tbh... it's a stupid, offensive notion that hardly deserves discussion.

But I'm biased. Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh... it's a stupid, offensive notion that hardly deserves discussion.

But I'm biased. Lmao.
    Why, are you a slave?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.