Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why dont 'Common sense campaigners' protest against politically correct militarism? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Help for heroes is, i feel, a clever campaign to link support for our troops with support for the war in Afghanistan. By taking the onus away from why we are fighting there and placing it on who is fighting there, the media/government transforms Afghanistan which has become an unjust war into a patriotic war. Just the other day Gordon Brown was quoted saying "It is our patriotic duty to finish what we started in Afghanistan, we owe it to those who have died". It just goes to show how low a government will stoop to further its aims. Soldiers are dying for government interests, rather than the safety of Great Britain. Those same soldiers are exploited even in death, shamelessly utilised as emotional blackmail by a government desperate to avoid the question "Why are our soldiers really dying in Afghanistan?".

(Original post by Aeolus)
    Help for heroes is, i feel, a clever campaign to link support for our troops with support for the war in Afghanistan. By taking the onus away from why we are fighting there and placing it on who is fighting there, the media/government transforms Afghanistan which has become an unjust war into a patriotic war. Just the other day Gordon Brown was quoted saying "It is our patriotic duty to finish what we started in Afghanistan, we owe it to those who have died". It just goes to show how low a government will stoop to further its aims. Soldiers are dying for government interests, rather than the safety of Great Britain. Those same soldiers are exploited even in death, shamelessly utilised as emotional blackmail by a government desperate to avoid the question "Why are our soldiers really dying in Afghanistan?".
    While I agree with your points I'd add that the political use of the military isn't anything new, nor is the political manipulation of the public using the military anything new. Even where the use of armed force has an element of legitimacy those in power tend to milk it for all it's worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    No, OP; political correctness, like everything bad, is left-wing. Militarism is not associated with the left (except for when it is), and therefore cannot be a kind of political correctness, or otherwise in any way bad.

Seriously though, that's actually an interesting point. (Even more seriously, I think even I have a point :lolwut:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

I think you will find political correctness exists for both the right and the left wing. The new trend of militarism is a form of political correctness imported from America. The new trend is characterised by not necasarily supporting the conflict but unquestionably supporting the troops fighting in the conflict.

So yes this is a form of right wing political correctness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrFroggy)
    How is working on the railways life threatening?

The afghan war is a good cause because it prevents the taliban from killing as many innocent people as would otherwise be the case. The NATO states that an attack on one party is considered an attack on all parties do you think that we should leave NATO or simply ignore it when it doesn't suit us? Don't you believe in preventing evil people from murdering innocent people? Please explain how things could have possibly turned out better for the afghan cvilians if we had not invaded.

It has been proven that if troops come home to a good welcome like a military parade then they are less likely to have mental problems later on. Its not right to protest at military parades because soldiers are just doing a job. If you wanted to object to a new law passed by the government would you protest outside your local police station or outside parliament? If you wanted to protest against a new tax would you protest outside your local council offices or parliament?
    People die working on the railways.

NATO should be liquidated, it has no purpose. It was created to combat soviet Russia and just didn't go away.

It depends who you call the evil people in Afghanistan British and American soldiers are the evil people who have come to change their way of life.

Its completely fair and right to protest military parades these people are murderers and killers. Those muslims ahd a peaceful protest and they were attacked by a baying mob of the lowest memebrs of British society.
    The chavs and the scum went to attack those people, who coincidentally are the same people who fill up our armies. They are probably very happy to murder Afghanis i know when i was in the army the impression i got was they look down on middle eastern people and wanted to kill them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    What would be because you are wrong. Legitimately protesting a homecoming parade does not include the freedom to go a parade with signs such as 'Butchers of Basra' and wonder why people get annoyed.

When I start walking about with a sign 'Behead those who are Islamic' and expect to go un-molested, then we'll consider whether or not they can protest.

Get over yourself, you're like a jealous kid who sees another boy getting all the girls attention and now you're annoyed.

Butchers of Basra is a perfectly acceptable sign to have, these soldiers are murdering people they are slaughtering people, they are torturing people.

'Behead those who are islamic' is an illegal sign to hold because it is hate preaching and inciting violence.

How am i jealous of soldiers? They have a ****, dangerous and low paid job. I however consider it disgusting how the politically correct right wing are making these people into heroes when theya re anything but.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Politically correct? No. This is not what "politically correct" means.

Absolute rubbish. Respect for our military is far lower than it used to be. Its as British as can be. I also wonder why you have liberally sprinkled the word "American": you accuse others of being thinly veiled racists, but it appears that it might be you who is the racist!

I think you will find i am right.

Actually you will find militarism is at an all time high. Not so long ago generals were complaining how British people do not support their troops like Americans and parades were empty. These complaints sprung up this new form of militarism.

American is not a race, Americans are a polyracial group, if anything you can claim i am xenophobic however i respect some parts of American society so that would be an inane assumption.

ReputationRep:

Good post. It appears not all TSR posters are brainless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Butchers of Basra is a perfectly acceptable sign to have, these soldiers are murdering people they are slaughtering people, they are torturing people.

How am i jealous of soldiers? They have a ****, dangerous and low paid job. I however consider it disgusting how the politically correct right wing are making these people into heroes when theya re anything but.

I cannot agree with you. To blame soldiers for what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan is futile and naive.

Soldiers follow orders, they fight not for their governments selfish interest, but for their brothers in arms.

A 19 year old boy who risks his life running into a hail of gunfire to drag his best friend and two strangers out of a burning vehicle is a hero, regardless of the who sent him to fight.

The Government is the evil here. One, for invading an already troubled nation under the pretence of national defence and two, for indirectly killing our young servicemen and women and then shamelessly exploiting their memory by using their deaths for propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot agree with you. To blame soldiers for what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan is futile and naive.

Soldiers follow orders, they fight not for their governments selfish interest, but for their brothers in arms.

A 19 year old boy who risks his life running into a hail of gunfire to drag his best friend and two strangers out of a burning vehicle is a hero, regardless of the who sent him to fight.

The Government is the evil here. One, for invading an already troubled nation under the pretence of national defence and two, for indirectly killing our young servicemen and women and then shamelessly exploiting their memory by using their deaths for propaganda.
    I was in the army, they are a group of racist morons. I was told that i needed to learn how to use my rifle good so i can shoot Iranians, this is the men training me. I left the week after.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the army, they are a group of racist morons. I was told that i needed to learn how to use my rifle good so i can shoot Iranians, this is the men training me. I left the week after.

I was also in the forces. I think you may have taken what was said a bit too seriously, and the fact you left during basic training because one idiot made a stupid comment? Maybe he was making a joke you didn't get?

I am afraid you cannot judge all soldiers on your pitiful 1 week of experience.

ReputationRep:
    I was also in the forces. I think you may have taken what was said a bit too seriously, and the fact you left during basic training because one idiot made a stupid comment? Maybe he was making a joke you didn't get?

I am afraid you cannot judge all soldiers on your pitiful 1 week of experience.
    It was not a joke and not the only comment.

ReputationRep:
    It was not a joke and not the only comment.

Riiight...

ReputationRep:
    Butchers of Basra is a perfectly acceptable sign to have, these soldiers are murdering people they are slaughtering people, they are torturing people
    "Torturing people"? Way to use ridiculously over emotive language. More road building than torturing goes on.

By taking the onus away from why we are fighting there and placing it on who is fighting there, the media/government transforms Afghanistan which has become an unjust war into a patriotic war.
    You are attempting to lump the media and government together. The media have more of a interest in criticising the war then they do in supporting it - it provides stuff to read about. Hence all the criticism of the war that is being done at the moment.

I think you will find i am right.
    There is not a single word on that page which begins with "mili-". You have missed the point of "common sense" campaigns, which is to have toilets called toilets rather than "ambulant urinal facilities", as per one of yesterday's news stories. It is nothing more sinister than that - not everything is a nationalist conspiracy!!!

Actually you will find militarism is at an all time high. Not so long ago generals were complaining how British people do not support their troops like Americans and parades were empty. These complaints sprung up this new form of militarism.

American is not a race, Americans are a polyracial group, if anything you can claim i am xenophobic however i respect some parts of American society so that would be an inane assumption.
    The word racism was used because that was the word that you used, equally incorrectly, to describe nationalism. Lets not play semantics.

The fact that you respect some parts of American society is neither here nor there. The simple fact is you liberally sprinkled your post with the word "American", even when totally irrelevant, in order to bring up negative connotations. I find this ironic given that you accuse "common sense" campaigners of being closet racists. The simple fact that an idea is American doesn't make it bad.

ReputationRep:
    Riiight...
    I think it is hard to prove but anyone with common sense knows that the army is packed full of people who had no hope of getting any other job, many of them are just dumb chavs, they are typical lager louts.

They try and potray these people as great men, when in reality if they were not in the army they would be on benefits or on the street as many of them do end up after army life.

To be fair some of these scummy people tdo improve after serving in the army.

I think the army should be reduced in size, removed from these present combat zones, put their training inline with civilian qualifications and concentrate on high tech warfare. They should be a defense force not an offense force.

You can say 'right' all day but i know what i know.

ReputationRep:
    Why dont 'Common sense campaigners' protest against politically correct militarism?

To expand.

I see very often people who consider themselves common sense campaigners campaigning against political correctness. They claim it is ridiculous that we should have winterval instead of christmas (The idea of winterval was not designed to replace christmas but seized upon anyway).
    Many of the notions they campaign against appear to target ethnic minorities and quite honestly appear to be veiled racism.

My intrigue to whether this is really a movement against political correctness or a form of veiled racism has led me to question why these people do not campaign against the increasing militarism in the UK.

Today it is politically correct to call soldiers heros, to claim the war in Afghanistan is for a good cause, to revel in military parades, to chastise protesters who are legitiamtely protesting returning soldiers. Help for Heroes is a very politically correct cause to support.

It appears many people would complain some political correctness is allowing the destruction of British culture and that supporting the military does not damage British culture thus military support is not offensive. However it appears to me this new militaristic fervor has been imported from the USA and is very Un-British, when i grew up it was normal to be skeptical of the military this however is being replaced by the American culture of hero whorshipping soldiers.

I cosndier this a very dangerous and backwards culture to be apart of and would like to hear the views of the student room to this phenomenom.
    I have been opposed to the war in Iraq and Afganistan, but I would not FOR ONE SECOND blame the soilders themselves, it was the British government that sent them.
    to chastise protesters who are legitiamtely protesting returning soldiers.
    That would be the muslims telling our boys to "go to hell"...yeah, bet you love them don't you:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    "Torturing people"? Way to use ridiculously over emotive language. More road building than torturing goes on.

There is not a single word on that page which begins with "mili-". You have missed the point of "common sense" campaigns, which is to have toilets called toilets rather than "ambulant urinal facilities", as per one of yesterday's news stories. It is nothing more sinister than that - not everything is a nationalist conspiracy!!!

The word racism was used because that was the word that you used, equally incorrectly, to describe nationalism. Lets not play semantics.

The fact that you respect some parts of American society is neither here nor there. The simple fact is you liberally sprinkled your post with the word "American", even when totally irrelevant, in order to bring up negative connotations. I find this ironic given that you accuse "common sense" campaigners of being closet racists. The simple fact that an idea is American doesn't make it bad.

Well yes torture has occured in Iraq and in Afghanistan. More roads were blown up then have been built. Lets not make out like these people are making these countries better, they're reducing their economies to zero, destroying much of their infrastructure, killing many people and causing huge braind rain. They are basically destroying these countries and they will not function properly for many years.

You will find i correctly defined this trend of militarism as politically correct.

I said American to show that this militarism is alien to British culture equally as much as winterval. Many of the campaigers against politically correctness will argue Christmas is British and calling it winterval is appeasing foreign elements in the UK. I was showing that these people are hypocrites and only are offended by left wing political correctness.

I agree with lots of American cultural traist. I think they have the bets sports system in the world and we should aim to copy it, however American militarism is definetly a negative quality.

ReputationRep:

I think you will find political correctness exists for both the right and the left wing. The new trend of militarism is a form of political correctness imported from America. The new trend is characterised by not necasarily supporting the conflict but unquestionably supporting the troops fighting in the conflict.

So yes this is a form of right wing political correctness.
    I was being sarcastic. :bee2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    I was being sarcastic. :bee2:

Fair enough i read some of these posts so quick i over look some of the meaning behind them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato.)

You are attempting to lump the media and government together. The media have more of a interest in criticising the war then they do in supporting it - it provides stuff to read about. Hence all the criticism of the war that is being done at the moment.

The media have more interest in keeping the war going than they do in stopping it- it provides stuff to read about.

They do not criticize the reasons we are at war, they do not investigate why we were attacked in the first place, if they criticise anything, it will be a lack of equipment for troops etc (which is not a bad thing).

Tragically, dead soldiers sell papers and a shameless media which exists purely for sales will milk these deaths for all they are worth and hope for more.

Mainstream media interests in regards to the war in Afghanistan fall in line with Government interests. That is why i lump the media and government together.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is hard to prove but anyone with common sense knows that the army is packed full of people who had no hope of getting any other job, many of them are just dumb chavs, they are typical lager louts.

They try and potray these people as great men, when in reality if they were not in the army they would be on benefits or on the street as many of them do end up after army life.

To be fair some of these scummy people tdo improve after serving in the army.

I think the army should be reduced in size, removed from these present combat zones, put their training inline with civilian qualifications and concentrate on high tech warfare. They should be a defense force not an offense force.

You can say 'right' all day but i know what i know.

Im sorry but i cannot take your views on the Army seriously, you had 1 week of experience. It sounds to me as if you are just trying to find something to blame your failure on, you couldn't hack it, so what? Don't feel bitter towards those who could.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.