Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it because i'm new or am I a bad driver :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got my car a week ago and have been driving fully insured for about a week. I passed my driving test first time just over a month ago and it just seems like I'm not driving half as well as I did in my lessons. I tend to get too close to edges (all ready scraped my car slightly) and just generally feel a bit scared to drive but I have to :/ Should I just give it time, getting used to my car? Or have further lessons to stop bad habits from developing?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - there's a world of difference between driving with an instructor next to you and not. You're bound to a feel a bit more nervous without that safety net.

Just try to relax and realise that confidence in yourself and awareness of the size of your car will all come in time. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

All the best

Gaz

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty normal. Everyone always says you don't learn to drive until you've passed your test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GazzyG)
    Don't worry - there's a world of difference between driving with an instructor next to you and not. You're bound to a feel a bit more nervous without that safety net.

Just try to relax and realise that confidence in yourself and awareness of the size of your car will all come in time. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

All the best

Gaz
    Ahh thanks! Needed to hear that xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    That's pretty normal. Everyone always says you don't learn to drive until you've passed your test.

That's true actually. I've learnt a few things all ready thinking of it xx

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you are not a bad driver...

You are new and nerves are getting to you, pretty normal.

Just relax, take your time, get used to everything and you will become a great driver.

The extra lessons aren't a bad thing if you can financially fund them or you could even try pass plus.

Good luck with everything and stay safe...

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yes, well I can just about afford extra lessons, i'll just give it more time and see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    It took me about 6 months after passing my test before I felt like it came naturally to me....
    and even yesterday I nearly cut someone up.... :s

I'm just assuming that I'll learn more with time. Thankfully I've had no accidents yet, so that can't be a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    could try driving with a (reliable) friend or a parent just to have that person there next to you? otherwise just keep going as you are, your confidence will develop the more you drive

ReputationRep:
    If you want extra help you could do pass plus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    could try driving with a (reliable) friend or a parent just to have that person there next to you? otherwise just keep going as you are, your confidence will develop the more you drive
    I drive much worse if my parents are in the car with me.

ReputationRep:
    I drive better on my own than I do with someone else in the car, but just after i passed my test the opposite was true. You can't rush it, the confidence will come with time. If it really bothers you, go out and do a few miles at night time when it is quiet and so you are able to relax a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - one of my friends recently managed to take the top off of her car after blotching her parking, about a month or two after passing her test first time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I drive much worse if my parents are in the car with me.
    each to their own :gthumb:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.