Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At A-Level you get to take less subjects, as well as most importantly of all being your favourites or best therefore you should do better. However it depends on how much you work, and concentrate just like anything.

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE ICT I got a C; for AS I got all A's, and for A2 I'm also expecting A's.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive the stereotyping, but your idea of messing up is probably like getting a D, whilst a straight A students idea of messing up is dropping a mark.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get any A*'s at GCSE but 'm predicted AABa for Chemistry, Biology, English and Maths.

It depends how much you work tbh, the difference between an A* and C at GCSE means very little at the end of your first AS year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco)
    I got 1A 3B 4C 2D at GCSE and got AAA in chemistry, physics and maths in Jan. And expecting AABa in August. Its down to the individual. Anyone can get an A, just takes a little time!
    My GCSEs were fairly similar to yours. And my exams (except eng lit) went well for me. And the syllabus is new so the boundaries are apparently low. But i'm too scared to guess my grades, in case i get depressed on results day.

PS. how long did you spend revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)
    My GCSEs were fairly similar to yours. And my exams (except eng lit) went well for me. And the syllabus is new so the boundaries are apparently low. But i'm too scared to guess my grades, in case i get depressed on results day.

PS. how long did you spend revising?
    Not amazingly long for the B in maths but for physics and chemistry a decent amount. Its impossible to get an A in those without full effort!
    I can't really put a time to how long i did, maybe 3-4 hours a day during study leave. How about you??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco)
    Not amazingly long for the B in maths but for physics and chemistry a decent amount. Its impossible to get an A in those without full effort!
    I can't really put a time to how long i did, maybe 3-4 hours a day during study leave. How about you??
    Gosh, um..
    I did a bit of revision through year 12, and quite a lot in the days before my exams so the info was all fresh. I really didn't understand Psychology until like a month before the exams, so that was all just cramming. Lol

ReputationRep:
    Nah i got B's und C's and i expect A's, maybe a few B's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I'm sure that this will be followed by, "my mate..." or "I know two people" or "my mum's sisters's boyfriend's aunt's daughter..." :rolleyes:
    That's absolute rubbish, according to my uncle anyway.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, my bro messed up his GCSEs and then got good A Levels.
    Likewise, people in my year who got all As and A*s at GCSE completely messed up their AS Levels and had to repeat the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    . Your GCSE grades don't matter, I'm sure you did fine.
    Some uni's look at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)
    Some uni's look at them.
    I guess, but if you get good AS levels you can say something about having improved

ReputationRep:
    from what i saw many people with good gcse grades didnt do as well as people with lower gcse grades because they tend to work harder as they realise they need to pull ther socks up. iv seen people with A's in gcse who got C's and D's at a level

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the individual. If you didn't do so well at GCSE because you werent bothered, and carry the same attitude into A-Level then of course you won't do so well, but if the GCSE results made you determined to try harder at A-Level then you should get some decent results. I got 5A's 5B's 1C, which according to ALPS should equate to BBCc at AS, however my teachers have predicted me AABa. I've been much more motivated to study for AS Levels because I chose the subjects and I've enjoyed most of them.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the amount of effort you put in

ReputationRep:
    I guess, but if you get good AS levels you can say something about having improved
    Fair point. However, generally, the better GCSE's you have, the better A levels, but only because of an academic trend. But there's nothing stopping you getting really good A levels, despite bad GCSE's.

I'm really interested to look at my friends As results, he got all A's at GCSE (no revising), and yet again, he's done no revising for As - i don't think he'll get A's without working.

If you work hard, you'll be rewarded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)

If you work hard, you'll be rewarded
    This is one of the founding principles of my life. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the founding principles of my life. :yes:
    Very good principle too!

ReputationRep:
    no, bad GSCEs =/= bad A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you pretty much said it yourself... Good luck...

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.