Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, so my mate (17) has just had a beautiful baby daughter. I have no clue how her educations gone because she moved away (she was brought up in social care) and only returned when she knew about the baby.

The father is staying with her (he completely dotes that child as well) so she's not a single mother- and he's a couple of years older and did have a job, unfortunately he can't get one right now due to the lack of work permits being given out, but they are still looking.

When I heard about the baby, and saw it yesterday, it never once crossed my mind that this might be considered stupid by some people. So how do you see underage parents? And why do you think there is an age limit on when a woman should have a child?

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with teenage parents, as long as they're mature enough to care for a child. Unfortunately, many aren't. My Mum got pregnant with me at 17.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, I respect teenage mums much more than I respect teenagers who've had abortions. It must take some balls having a kid at that age and now bowing to pressure to kill it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I have no problem with teenage parents, as long as they're mature enough to care for a child. Unfortunately, many aren't. My Mum got pregnant with me at 17.
    I totally agree with you.

If they are going to argue and throw each other out or beat each other, it doesn't matter if they are 27 or 35.

They should have a child when they are mature and responsible enough to look after it and provide the child with the best life possible.

ReputationRep:
    As long as they can afford it and don't just rely on benefits. And obviously if the baby is safe etc..

(Original post by Saffie)
    As long as they can afford it and don't just rely on benefits. And obviously if the baby is safe etc..
    And 9.9/10 times this dosen't happen that is why people look down on teenage mums.

ReputationRep:
    feel more sorry for them than anything, the best bit about being young is not having much responsibility and living a little, but they can't do that now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    I totally agree with you.

If they are going to argue and throw each other out or beat each other, it doesn't matter if they are 27 or 35.

They should have a child when they are mature and responsible enough to look after it and provide the child with the best life possible.

Agreed. My apartment is a lovely one, but located in a rough neighbourhood (just on the edge of it, anyway) separating the rough neighbourhood from the university. The shortcut to the town centre leads just past this rough area, and walking through yesterday I got to experience a woman with a gravelly voice and disgustingly old-looking face, clearly ravaged by drugs and alcohol over the years, screaming and swearing at her young son as she hit him.
    I expect she was in her late 20s or early 30s in reality, but she didn't deserve children in my opinion. There are many more responsible teenage parents that could've brought her son up better.
    Saying that, though, most teenage mums are also chavs, which is why they get such a bad reputation.

ReputationRep:
    I think that successfully bringing up a child requires life experience and a good knowledge of the human nature. This usually takes time, usually at least until the mid twenties. However, this is just a generalization which does not apply to all cases. It takes maturity to bring up a child and some teenage parents do have that, but most don't.

I believe some must learn to live by themselves and be financially and emotionally independent and strong in order to be fully ready for having children. Particular cases can fall out of this main category and should be judged sensibly according to circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    I think that successfully bringing up a child requires life experience and a good knowledge of the human nature. This usually takes time, usually at least until the mid twenties. However, this is just a generalization which does not apply to all cases. It takes maturity to bring up a child and some teenage parents do have that, but most don't.

I believe some must learn to live by themselves and be financially and emotionally independent and strong in order to be fully ready for having children. Particular cases can fall out of this main category and should be judged sensibly according to circumstances.
    I agree with this. While I would not consider the majority of teenagers mature enough to be capable of bringing up a child well, some are and as such have every right to.

However, there are health risks involved with having a child too early and I disapprove of any parent, teen or not, living off state benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    Right, so my mate (17) has just had a beautiful baby daughter. I have no clue how her educations gone because she moved away (she was brought up in social care) and only returned when she knew about the baby.

The father is staying with her (he completely dotes that child as well) so she's not a single mother- and he's a couple of years older and did have a job, unfortunately he can't get one right now due to the lack of work permits being given out, but they are still looking.

When I heard about the baby, and saw it yesterday, it never once crossed my mind that this might be considered stupid by some people. So how do you see underage parents? And why do you think there is an age limit on when a woman should have a child?
    17 isnt that bad, one of my close mates had hers when she was 13 :O

but who am i to judge people

ReputationRep:
    Most are lazy ****s that don't want to do a days work in their life and bring their kids up with the same attitude.

ReputationRep:
    I'm against uneducated teens getting pregnant. They want to live off the state, and get council housing, they dress like tramps, and have awful accents. They should be banned from reproducing.

ReputationRep:
    i dont have a problem with teenage mums, its just whenever they are responsible enough to care for a baby. i personally wont be responsible enough until i am at least 30 lol

ReputationRep:
    I have no problems with teenage moms, my problem is bad moms, regardless of if they are teenage or not.

ReputationRep:
    As long as the parents love their children and are mature enough to handle them, I have no qualms with them.

ReputationRep:
    You feel sorry for them in that they have been deprived of freedom in perhaps the most 'free' time of their lives. And for the baby growing up in a less financially stable, and potentially emotionally unstable (though this is not always the case - mother and partner may be mature) environment.
    Then on the other hand, it's a predicament of their own doing; a bit of protection wouldn't have gone amiss... (the male is as much in the wrong, might I add)

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of them get caught up in the whole 'cute little baby' syndrome and don't really realise the actual practical consequences of bringing up a baby, the sleepless nights etc and not just dressing it up in nice clothes.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the majority of the posters here, I mean a good mum doesn't necessary have an age, it is all about maturity and undertaking the responsibility....responsibly

I was watching a BBC3 documentary about 14-16 year olds wanting to get pregnant... and I guess what I hated is how they took for granted how difficult it could be to raise a baby... they said "Oh, but I would be able to do it" but they failed at the simplest of tasks, one girl got annoyed because she was being asked to cooked the food she brought... I mean I don't think if she ended up being a single mother she would have had that liberty of saying "I can't be bothered to cook", it would be stuff like that, which creates come collective dislike towards teenage mums...

If a teenage mum cannot let go of her childhood for their baby, they are probably not going to be that good of a mum... Having a baby is inevitably a personal sacrifice...

ReputationRep:
    As above, as long as their children are loved and cared for properly then I have no problem with it. I think it comes down to personal maturity though - I know teenagers who are very mature for their age and people who are 35 who haven't got a thought for anyone except themselves.
    What I do have an issue with, however, is those who actively try to conceive when they have no job/means of supporting their child.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.