Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I know several people who've had babies in their teens (in fact one girl that was in the year above me in school has had 3 by the time she was 20) having her first one at 15 and a half..

in some cases i think its fine, if you really want to start a family and have it all planned out and you are in a loving stable relationship where both the parents feel the time is ready and one of them has a job and the ability to start a famiy then yeah I don't see any problem what so ever.

living pretty close to stevenage and having been to bletchly and wolverston in Milton keynes which are the 3 places that have the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the uk (can't quite remember the source I got that from) it is worrying to see how many single mothers there are who've got pregnant due to one night stands, or failed relationships. in a lot of cases they do get upport from their parents but you shouldn't have to reply on your parents to bring up a child that you brought into the world.

I do feel sorry for teenage mums who do fall pregnant because of an accident where it wasn't planned and they don't want to terminate the pregancny. it is hard for them and its going to mean they don't get the opportunity to enjoy some of the best years of their life because they've got a littlun at home and they have to be a mum first and a young adult second.

my friend bex, is a single mum, she had her daughter at 19, she was in a stable relationship which fell apart when she became pregnant she's been amazing as a mother and she's sorted her life out she's got her own place she's got a job and things are working out fantastically for her. for some people it might be ok, but i think for the vast majority its not what they want when its happened but ny then its too late. as has already been said people get caught up in the awwwww I want a cute little baby trap and it happens and can stop you enjoying the best years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I have a real thing against teenage parents. Sorry but I've seen the same thing happen all to many times and how the children are treated and grow up. Often the people are too immature and have no idea how to deal with this "mistake" or "accident" (as they call it) that has just happened to shake their life up. It's quite sad really, especially if they have no support..But with proper support their life can continue on fairly well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    I have a real thing against teenage parents. Sorry but I've seen the same thing happen all to many times and how the children are treated and grow up. Often the people are too immature and have no idea how to deal with this "mistake" or "accident" (as they call it) that has just happened to shake their life up. It's quite sad really, especially if they have no support..But with proper support their life can continue on fairly well.
    You are one of the few people to notice that it is not just the mums that cause the problems.

Not that I'm saying teenage pregnancy is always a bad thing- I know some brilliant teenage parents.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know any teenage parents so I find it hard to judge.

ReputationRep:
    Reversible hysterectomies, both in boys and girls at the age of ten. Then before being allowed to have the operation reversed, you must be able to prove to the state that you are a responsible adult with the means to potentially support a family if it came to that, IoW have a stable job or at least be actively seeking to improve yourself or improve your chances of getting work.

Obviously any criminal conviction should make this a permanent ban on having children, and ASBO's would increase the age at which you can apply to have it reversed, say starting from the age of 18 (some religious groups I know like to marry their kids off young and have them popping out sproggs pretty much non-stop from the age of sixteen, well tough luck on that front IMHO. If you want to breed like rabbits on religious grounds, then sod off and find a farm where there aren't any foxes...).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Frankly, I respect teenage mums much more than I respect teenagers who've had abortions. It must take some balls having a kid at that age and now bowing to pressure to kill it.
    I disagree. It's irresponsible to have a child when, as is often the case, you haven't yet learned to look after yourself. You shouldn't bring a child into the world because you want to prove you have 'balls' and don't bow to peer pressure.

My mother is a TIMS nurse (Teenage Identified Midwifery Service); she goes around the area speaking to teenage mums and getting them sorted for everything and teaching them the stuff they need to know in their own homes.

Most of the teenagers she sees are those who live in grotty little houses and want a child 'so someone will love them'. Children of these kids often end up being 'granny reared' while the teenagers go out and do, quite frankly, what teenagers are meant to do.

Many teenagers who have children end up relying on benefits. So, taxpayers are paying for teenagers who have the 'balls' to keep a baby rather than doing what is generally, in my opinion, the right thing to do, and good for everyone all round. The teenager gets a life, the grandmother doesn't have to bring up another child, taxpayers money is spent on something a little more worthwhile, and the unborn baby doesn't have to live in that situation.

Most teenage pregnancies are unplanned, and are often a result of poor sex education, or none. Many girls report it's embarrassing to buy contraception or seek help from a doctor. Many other pregnancies come from 'drunken one night stands'; this baby is hardly brought into the world in the most auspicious circumstances. HALF of teenage mothers are not in a relationship with the father a year after the birth.

Many teenage mothers are daughters of teenage mothers themselves. This is a vicious circle; a teenage mother is more likely to resent a child for stopping them having a normal teenage life, or leave them to be brought up by their grandmothers. The child in question is more likely to be a teenage parent and thus the pattern continues.

The days when women are supposed to have as many children as possible are over in England. Our culture is one of 'rebellious' teenagers, not the early marriages parts of Africa still have.

I do agree that these reasons are not always the case, however the majority of teenage pregnancies have at least one of these problems. Quite a few teenage parents make excellent mothers, and very few will have problems that mean the child will be taken away (I have also seen this happen to someone I knew). This does not make it the right thing to do!

I believe that these are all pretty good reasons to terminate a child. People will often think badly of teenage mothers (I am guilty of it myself, I agree), they're often brought into the world in bad circumstances and not brought up as a child should be (by both it's parents).

And yes, I have had experience of this, even though I am not a teenage mother myself. My mother is one of the foremost nurses for TIMS, and I know quite a few teenage mothers (the area where I spent the first 18 years of my life was in a place with a high rate of teenage pregnancy).

I'm sure there was something else I was going to say, but I can't remember what. I'm sure someone will quote me and give their own opinion so I shall come back then

Please, these are my opinions and those of my mother (as most children do, a lot of my ideology comes from my mother who is, after all, an expert in the subject), please remember this when you start yelling at me.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen the new NHS campaign for teenage sex, entitled 'An Orgasm a day keeps the Doctor away'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ck-stroke.html
    - I know it's the Daily Mail but it's still an interesting read.

I'm not sure it will decrease the high percentage of teenage parents though.

ReputationRep:
    I could never imagine being a teen mum myself and think they have some courage to go through with it. My school is currently having problems with really young girls (14/15) getting pregnant and I've seen examples of a girl's lfe falling to bits and examples of girls doing amazingly well. Also I think as long as the mum has support and the baby is cared for as well as the mum still having the chance to do something with their life I don't have anything against them even if it isn't ideal.

ReputationRep:
    Kids shouldn't be having kids.

-waits for the **** storm-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Frankly, I respect teenage mums much more than I respect teenagers who've had abortions. It must take some balls having a kid at that age and now bowing to pressure to kill it.
    Agreed. Partly why I don't subscribe to jokes about teenage mothers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)

Kids shouldn't be having sex. Raise the age of consent to 21! Oh, wait...

ReputationRep:
    Teenage mums don't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I think it's disgraceful how they receive so much negative media coverage trying to portray them all as 'lazy, scrounging benefit thieves'. Statistically, single teenage mothers make up just 4% of all single parents, the vast majority being over the age of 35 so we really must stop trying to vilify them and tarring them all with the same brush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)

I completely agree with you. Least someone had the balls to say it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with it at all. That's not to say that I think all teenage mothers are evil or anything, but even the most responsible teenager shouldn't be having children, in my opinion. The vast majority of single mothers where I live are living on benefits, sleeping around and generally not providing a very good life for their children.

I realise you can be a bad or good mother at 15 or 35, but generally speaking I think the chances of anyone under 18 being able to raise a child properly are pretty low. They haven't experienced life enough to be able to instil values in a child. Heck, at 15 they've never even had to look after themselves properly nevermind themselves and a child and a home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaytwizzle1000)
    I completely agree with you. Least someone had the balls to say it :rolleyes:
    What about an 18 year old sensible, mature woman in a stable relationship? Would you class her as a 'kid'? Because statistically speaking she would fall under the category of 'teenage mother'.

ReputationRep:
    If the child lives in a stable environment then we shouldn't judge the age of the person. However having children at a young age can cause various of problems. Two consenting adults should be mature enough to provide for the child. There are some teenage mother's that do become pregnant for the wrong reasons. Unfortunately many aren't mature enough to look after children. I just find it difficult to understand why a 13 year old wants a child at this age.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what people think.....

ReputationRep:
    you have to really look up to the ones that do it right. It's tough work. Especially at an age where your just starting to become independent and go out, have fun and be a bit 'free' from restrictions.
    They are looked down on (but come to think of it, surely not as much so now) because some of them are not responsible at all and in messy situations with the dads (only takes a jeremy kyle show or advert to see it)
    A girl from the town i grew up in, had a baby at 16/17 as a single mum, and I saw her in the city once out and partying at a club when we were 18, and me and my mates asked how was her little girl doing and who had to watch her tonight while she went out drinking (not meaning it as an interogation, just generally asking)? and she was saying she 'was good, and not really sure who has the baby tonight actually, ah well she'll be fine, hahahahahaaaaaa' Everyone just stared blankly. It's this sort of thing really.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got pregnant at 15, and then didn't terminate the pregnancy because she was waiting for the father to decide what he wanted, although she wasn't all that happy about being pregnant. She was downright stupid though - her mother dragged her to the mother's when she suspected something was up, and then she played dumb and pretended she hadn't known, when she had done for months.
    And she came with us to Germany for a week with the school, without having told any of the teachers. If something had gone wrong, it was only a small group of us who would've known.

She dropped out of school, split up with the father, messes around with a load of other blokes - moved in with one for a few weeks, taking the baby with her! - leaves the baby with her mother all day...

It might be apparent I'm not too impressed with her, but then, I don't have my own child, so I guess I don't really have the right to whinge as much as I just have...

ReputationRep:
    My mum got pregnant with my older brother at 16, and got married at 16...6 months pregnant and my parents are still together.

My 2 oldest friends got pregnant on pretty much the same day by accident at 17 and both are devoted mohters...one split with the dad cos he beat her and the other one is getting married in Feb.

You cant group things together because you just dont know how people are going to be as mothers. Oh and dont call all teenage mums wasters, chavs and tarts, yeah??? Mothers prefer to stay at home with the child until they can find a job that pays enough to go to nursery...not always true but mostly in my experience. Most of the ones saying "chav, tart" etc. are the type whose parents would force an abortion i think and thats sad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.