Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_green)
    As above, as long as their children are loved and cared for properly then I have no problem with it. I think it comes down to personal maturity though - I know teenagers who are very mature for their age and people who are 35 who haven't got a thought for anyone except themselves.
    What I do have an issue with, however, is those who actively try to conceive when they have no job/means of supporting their child.
    This.
    Know all about this situation, one of my best friends just got pregnant (shes in her 20s though) and she is keeping the baby because she really wants a baby so badly, not because she has the money and means to support it. Her family are all worried, beause they know she's not in the right mind frame for a baby, she still has the tendency to act childish herself and she wastes money alot. I'm going to be there for her and the baby through thick and thin, but I am really, really worred.

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no problem with it - my aunt had her first child when she was 16 and she's now 50 and she's done a wonderful job in bringing him up along with her 2 other children that she had later on. I know one girl in my year who is having a baby this October and I can't help but think she's a bit too young (16, her boyfriend is 15) to have a baby as she's a bit immature for her age. I guess it depends - if you are mature enough then I have no problem with teenage parents. My problem is when teenagers don't use contraception and then wonder why they end up pregnant - contraception can obtained for free, from the NHS or from clinics etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    I disagree. It's irresponsible to have a child when, as is often the case, you haven't yet learned to look after yourself. You shouldn't bring a child into the world because you want to prove you have 'balls' and don't bow to peer pressure.
    Good way to guarantee that then isn't there? Don't have sex unless you're fit to have children. People say consenting to one does not lead to the other but I don't see why. To me it's like joining the army but you're not ready to go to war.

ReputationRep:
    my opinion is that they are scum

ReputationRep:
    If someone can't handle contraception at 17, not sure how they are going to get on with a baby.

If they were trying for a baby at 17, that's possibly more concerning.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Good way to guarantee that then isn't there? Don't have sex unless you're fit to have children. People say consenting to one does not lead to the other but I don't see why. To me it's like joining the army but you're not ready to go to war.
    If sex education was a lot better, we wouldn't have the problem. If people are too embarrassed to get protection of some description, they're not responsible enough to be having sex in the first place.

I was eighteen when I lost my virginity, and we used condoms to start with. I then went to my doctor and asked for something more permanent. That's maturity, and that's when you should start having sex.

People now seem to be having sex so they look 'cool', and this is just unacceptable. We NEED better sex education, with people who know how to give it (we had a couple of people come in specially to teach us sex education in my secondary school).

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think anything of them if they turn out to be good parents and can afford costs, unless they can't look after or afford the baby costs at all.
    There was a girl in my year at high school who got pregnant at 16, her boyfriend stayed with her (he was a 6th form student) and managed to go into uni and stuff still so did she. Obviously it doesn't work out well for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    As long as they love the baby and are prepared to make the sacrifices (social, educational, financial etc.) for it then I have no problem with teenage mothers. It just annoys the **** out of me when they still want to go partying and moan about not having a life or any money etc. because they made the choice to have that baby (they could have aborted it/had it adopted).

ReputationRep:
    i think they are well fit

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl who got pregnant just after year 11. She was probably the most irresponsible person who couldn't even look after herself, let alone a new born baby. She was clever, but basically wasted her life. But for her, becoming a mum has made her a better person. She has learned to care, and tbh I've never seen a teenage mum who's as lovely as her. She has given up smoking, alcohol and all sorts of crap so her baby can get the best in life. It's incredible to see her like that, and if only more teenage mums were like her it really wouldn't be such a massive problem in society.

ReputationRep:
    As long as said teenage parents have an education and a job/means of supporting the child (not relying on benefits) then i'm sure some can do a great job. I watched that programme on BBC3 and it was shocking. I just wanted to clap the 14 year old. FFS moaning about having to bloody cook! I would never have been able to be a teenage mum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    feel more sorry for them than anything, the best bit about being young is not having much responsibility and living a little, but they can't do that now.
    I totally disagree with this comment, i am a teenage mum and im still enjoying my life and no im not neglecting my daughter to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipmapped)
    If someone can't handle contraception at 17, not sure how they are going to get on with a baby.

If they were trying for a baby at 17, that's possibly more concerning.
    People in their 20's-30's get caught out too you know, so they fit to look after a baby either then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    my opinion is that they are scum
    Well arent you just a horrible person.

ReputationRep:
    I pity teenage parents, but especially the mother who is usually the sole carer. Having a child so young leads to wasted potential and blighted opportunities. It is incredibly hard to re-enter into the jobs market after many years caring for a child which leads to long-term unemployment and deprivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    I agree with the majority of the posters here, I mean a good mum doesn't necessary have an age, it is all about maturity and undertaking the responsibility....responsibly

I was watching a BBC3 documentary about 14-16 year olds wanting to get pregnant... and I guess what I hated is how they took for granted how difficult it could be to raise a baby... they said "Oh, but I would be able to do it" but they failed at the simplest of tasks, one girl got annoyed because she was being asked to cooked the food she brought... I mean I don't think if she ended up being a single mother she would have had that liberty of saying "I can't be bothered to cook", it would be stuff like that, which creates come collective dislike towards teenage mums...

If a teenage mum cannot let go of her childhood for their baby, they are probably not going to be that good of a mum... Having a baby is inevitably a personal sacrifice...
    I watched this, thought it was really interesting. It was sad that they couldn't see beyond having a baby and it basically seemed like the only career option for them. And then as soon as they were shown different professions both of them could suddenly see there was so much more available. I felt sorry for the girl who had the abortion though - it was just like she wanted to replace the baby she'd lost. But Lydia was an absolute *****!!

ReputationRep:
    People in their 20's-30's get caught out too you know, so they fit to look after a baby either then?
    Maybe not.

ReputationRep:
    I have alot of admiration for teenage Mums/Dads who keep the child and do the best they can for it (especially when it's not a planned pregnancy). However I am 19, and the majority of the people I went to school with now have a baby (seriously). It makes me wonder if the baby was a way of giving love to something which would have to love them, because they had a rough upbringing. The people in my year group generally were very misbehaved and so maybe the child is a way of gaining love, or almost as if they want to correct their own childhood with it. This seems sad, but very true. Unfortunately these girls now brag to others that they "got given a house", and other girls in younger year groups follow suit because they want to fit in with everyone else having babies...

I think in these circumstances it's very selfish, because a baby is not a toy or a correction to your lifes problems because you didn't buckle down at school. You also have to ask what an earth you can give a child at that age other than what the state provides you with..

One of my ex's - His mother was a teenage mum. And she then became a grandmother in her early 30's (twice over). My ex's sister had a baby at 15, and it just really shocked me because she was never taught any rules or respect, and was allowed to stay out all night having sex with whoever she wished, and her mother just gave up on her so to speak, as in she didn't question who she went out with or where she went (I found her sitting on a street corner once with drunk old men..). It really saddened me, because her life could, and should have been different (considering her Mother is a child minder!). She is far too irrisponsible to take care of a child, and I fear the cycle will just repeat itself to the next generation...

However returning to my first point, I have utmost respect for mothers who really do turn the situation around and even juggle college/uni with a baby, because thats no easy task I'm sure and it takes alot of determination Even more so when doing it alone because for whatever reason the Father has not stayed around.

ReputationRep:
    i think its ridiculous tbh, most of these young mums cant even look after themselves let alone their kids which is why they ended up being pregnant in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Frankly, I respect teenage mums much more than I respect teenagers who've had abortions. It must take some balls having a kid at that age and now bowing to pressure to kill it.
    This.

My friend had a baby when she was 17 - she's 18 now and her daughter will be turning 1 year old in 2 weeks (:love:)
    She does a great job looking after her child - she lives with the baby's father too. The dad has a job and will be going to college. The mum did have a job (but have to be let go because of the recession ) but she was at college and is now staying on to get the next level certificate
    And thats what I admire about teenage parents
    They are earning money to support the child - and getting an education which will inturn mean a better job with better prospects and better pay which is what is needed for a baby

What I don't like about teenage parents is when they don't bother trying to earn money for their child, just let the government fund them

But theres plenty of parents who don't deserve their children and they are of an older age - so you can't really lump all teenage parents in the one boat

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.